Option to MOVE TO DROPBOX is grayed out

Options

Hi, all! I just installed a new version of 1Password 3.9.6 on my Mac. I want to sync with Dropbox. The option to MOVE TO DROPBOX in my 1Password preferences is grayed out. I was able to copy the 1password.agilekeychain file to Dropbox manually and I can sync to it with my iPhone.

As a workaround, I double click the file on Dropbox as instructed to set up a second Mac. 1Password launches and it actually uses it. The problem is, when I make a change on my Mac, it is NOT synced with Dropbox. If I make a change on the iPhone, it IS synced and I can then double click it once again to use it on the Mac. It only SORT OF works. Not the ideal solution. Any ideas on how I can fix the problem?

I am very tech savvy, so don't be afraid to throw in-depth solutions my way. =) Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DelJohnston
    DelJohnston
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

BAH! If I had only done a LITTLE more digging first. My apologies!

I found the solution! My Dropbox folder on my Mac was inside of my USER/DOCUMENTS folder. By moving it to my USER/ folder instead, the option is now available. Thanks for looking anyhow.

Here is the link to the knowledgebase article explaining this very problem:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12017/why-doesnt-dropbox-syncing-work#latest

• Hi @DelJohnston,

I'm glad you got it working now. I've edited your last post to reflect a better link as we're moving away from the older support forums to this one.

Thanks for sharing it with folks here.

• Paul Murray
    Paul Murray
    Community Member
    Options

Really sorry to have to post here, but I cannot move my Dropbox to my USER folder (which includes Desktop, Applications, Documents, Downloads, etc.). It says "Error moving Dropbox. Some files cannot be moved. Please select a new location, or close some files and try again." To the best of my knowledge, there are no files being used. Right now , Dropbox is located in the top level of the hard drive with Applications, Library, System, Users). Am I off base here?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble, Paul. It sounds like a possible permissions issue. If you moved your Dropbox folder to the root of your drive it is obviously outside your Home folder, so there may be some problems. Generally speaking it is not a good idea to store anything in a UNIX-based OS (like OS X) outside of your Home folder. :)

Please email us a Diagnostics Report so we can help.

Since you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to follow the instructions here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12057/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you/

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Ricky_Maveety
    Ricky_Maveety
    Community Member
    Options

I've got the same problem, and I really need to move my dropbox off of my boot drive. Is the alternative to find a way to move the entire User/Home folder set?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ricky_Maveety,

What version of 1Password 3 are you currently using? Version 3.8 or version 3.9?

As Dave mentions in the post linked to above:

Since 1Password 3.9 is properly sandboxed as per Mac App Store requirements, you can only use Dropbox if it's folder is in the default location.

If you have 1Password 3.9 and are determined to move your Dropbox folder though, I'd be happy to help you switch over to 1Password 3.8, which is available directly from our website and is not subject to the sandboxing regulations put into place by the Mac App Store. :)

This discussion has been closed.