Database backup failed [fixed]

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password won't open on Firefox.

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

The message, which appeared in an alert window, was:

==========

Database backup failed.

The 1Password database could not be backed up.
    Database exists but is invalid. One or more keys files
    may be missing.

==========

I figured out the problem. I used to keep my keychain in ~/Dropbox/1PasswordSync/ but when I rebuilt it I put it in ~/Dropbox/ .
    The 1Password app on my wife's Mac was still trying to use the old keychain. So I told it to stop using Dropbox, then located the instructions for starting fresh with a new keychain on the website.

I got a wee bit crossed up because I never got the "Welcome to 1Password" window, but was simply presented with an image of a locked vault. It took me a while to realize that 1Password had simply ASSUMED that I wanted to use the keychain that it had found in ~/Dropbox. While this was indeed the result that I sought, I consider this behavior to be wrong, and not only because it is not documented on the help page. IMO the user should be ASKED whether he/she wishes to use the keychain that the program locates in the Dropbox.

I ran into my second problem when I fired up Chrome—my keychain would not open. I solved that one by uninstalling and then reinstalling the browser extension, and then activating 1PasswordHelper. I haven't tried the other browsers yet, but I expect that I may run into similar difficulties.

My main conclusion here is that the "Fresh Start" instructions need to be improved. For one thing, they instruct the user to move to the Desktop what, in my case, turned out to be the ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx folder, but do not mention the ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder. I figured I should move that one to the desktop too, and I did so, and it seemed to work, but the user shouldn't be forced to guess. For another, the "Fresh Start" instructions should either include guidance on troubleshooting the browser extensions or else point the user to another help page that covers the issue. For a third, the help page should discuss the issues that a user who syncs his keychain to several devices via Dropbox should expect to encounter when starting fresh, or else flag them and link to another help page.

My other conclusion is that this process is too hard. Why can't there just be a "Reset keychain" or "Start Fresh" button in the General or the Advanced preference pane, or put the command in the File menu? Even If AgileBits isn't prepared just yet to automate the process, or all y'all believe that automating the process would be a bad idea, put the button there anyway and have it take the user to the relevant Help page. The status quo, which is that a user first fruitlessly searches the menus and preference panes and then either gives up, begins hunting on the website, or sets off for the forums, stinks.

My 2¢.

—Ben F

• Hi Ben,

I split your posts from the other thread into your own thread here, so we can give you direct answers.

I'm sorry about the frustrations you experienced.

I have a few questions; you didn't want your wife to use your data file and were trying to create a separate 1Password data file for her? If yes, are you and your wife sharing the same Dropbox folder?

Also, the ~Library/Containers folder you mentioned is not related to Dropbox, it's just the default sandboxed container that 1Password uses when you don't want to use Dropbox. I'm not sure why you saw this at all.

One thing that do pop up in my head is that if you try to save the data file in a separate folder in Dropbox beside ~/Dropbox and ~/Dropbox/1Password, then that makes sense. We're restricted to those folders due to the sandboxing, any other folders forces the app to move back to the container folder because that's the only location it can write to. This will be changed in the upcoming 1Password 4 for OS X update that'll have a different first run experience.

• jpjameson
    jpjameson
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue that has become extremely frustrating. As I get constant messages telling me that attempts to back up have failed.

The 1Password Database could not be backed up. The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSFileHandleOperationException error 1.)

I have not changed the backup location (which is also my root dropbox folder). Any idea what has happened?

• mitchellstoker
    mitchellstoker
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the same error as jpjameson. Haven't made any changes or updates either.

• mitchellstoker
    mitchellstoker
    Community Member
    edited March 2013
    Options

I get constant messages telling me that attempts to back up have failed. It says the following:

"The 1Password Database could not be backed up. The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSFileHandleOperationException error 1.)"

I haven't made any changes or updates and it just started doing this today. I'm not sure what the issue is.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The error message is different than I would expect if the issue was a missing keys file, but can you confirm for me that you are not missing the 1password.keys file in 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default? It is perhaps easiest to check via the Dropbox web interface.

I have not changed the backup location (which is also my root dropbox folder). Any idea what has happened?

Your backup location should not be in your Dropbox folder. I'm wondering if you have somehow placed your backup folder inside your data file so the backups are recursive. It's possible the location of your backup folder has nothing to do with the error, but it could also be the exact cause of the problem. To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

In 1Password 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

If you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi,
    Have the same problem. Will send the diagnostic report to support@ agilebits .com

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @andy_vdg. If you've emailed us a Diagnostics Report, we'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. That said, I don't see a Diagnostics Report from you in our inbox. Did you send it from an email address that is different than the one you used to sign up for this forum? If you send me a PM with the email address you used to send us the report I'll expedite your support ticket for you.

• mbritt
    mbritt
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am having this problem now and it's really frustrating. I'm getting the pop-up box that says, "Database Backup Failed....database exists but is invalid". I moved the backup that I kept in Dropbox to a new location and I guess that's what started this error. I moved the files back to where they were but that hasn't solved it. I opened up 1Password on my desktop but the program won't start even when I input my correct master password. Really frustrated. Really need some help.

• mbritt
    mbritt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting this error from 1Password desktop: AGDatabaseError Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist at 'file://localhost/Users/ubritmi/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys'. Oh boy, things are really messed up....:(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mbritt,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with 1Password right now. Please go to File > Restore and restore your database from a backup. That should get things all sorted out for you!

• gcooper
    gcooper
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan/ Administrator. My problem was different to above but your solution to go to File and restore back up fixed my problem.
    My 1password extension was working but not 1password app and 1password helper? whatever that is was not connected. So my app looked like my data was erased but I could find info through the 1password item on safari browser.
    I have backed up as you suggested - though I was concerned I may lose everything but Its worked. Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gcooper,

I'm glad to hear that restoring from a backup worked for you! Please let me know if you run into this again, and we'll get you sorted out :)

• Sibie
    Sibie
    Community Member
    Options

My error message when backing up says: 1Password failed to create a backup: Error Domain+com.agile...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sibie,

Are you using 1Password 3 or 1Password 4? If you are using 1Password 4, please try this:

• Open 1Password.
    • Click the 1Password menu, hold down the Control key, and select Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Restart the Mac.
    • Relaunch 1Password.

Please let me know if you are still using 1Password 3 and we'll investigate further. :)

This discussion has been closed.