Feature Request. Banking Passwords

Options

A lot of the banking websites that I use ask for a Username(Customer Number)/Password and then certain characters from a Security Answer, I.E letters 3-6-11. Would it be possible to add a feature to 1Password that would allow you to store a complex answer for a site. And then when you bring up 1Password have it ask which characters to display, allowing you to input you want to see characters 3-6-11 and then in a field below show the corresponding characters?

A lot simpler than me having a fairly simple answer and then count out the letters on my fingers. My only other solution is to keep the answer as a secure note.

Thanks. AStaley.

Comments

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    Options

you could also generate a password, then change the generated password to be the same as the letters you require, name it appropriately and you no longer have to copy and paste

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly a tricky problem to solve. There isn't really a standard for communicating which fields need to be filled with which characters. It's something that is on our radar, but I can't give a time frame for when or even if it would be available. I'll make sure the developers know you are looking for this!

In the meantime, you might consider using the "password ruler" trick a lot of folks employ to make choosing the correct character easier. Store the password as a Note with each character enumerated like this

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13
     n  d  R  3  h  n  H  2  q  f  Q  Q  3

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I don't bother to enumerate the characters, just store the password in groups of five symbols.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That'll work too if you prefer. :)

• Simondp
    Simondp
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I have to say, I'm rather miffed at this. I bought 1password for my iphone, iPads and iMac and was disappointed that it didn't work with sites which now predominantly use a system where you enter in say, the first, 5th and 9th letter of your password. Characters required change each time. 1password simply can't work with this. I persevere and stuck with it and maintain a list of around 40 passwords in addition to other stuff.

Now I'm told they won't sync. I refuse to upgrade as it won't help with issue mentioned above so I might as well dump this for a cheaper system which works. If you were based in the UK I would be tempted to try my hand at using consumer legislation, claiming it's not fit for purpose.

I regret buying into the 1password ecosystem.

• Simondp
    Simondp
    Community Member
    Options

....and, Agile Bits, stop claiming that you autofill logins? I think your website is misleading in this respect. Perhaps "autofill simple logins" is more appropriate?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Simondp, I don't know of any product that does (or even possibly could) fill random characters like that. It's just not really possible since there is no standard for this sort of thing. Every site does it differently. So even if we tried to make it work on one site, the implementation would be different for the next one.

If you're having trouble with a specific URL, please let me know what it is. I'd love to provide more specific assistance if you can provide some details.

Cheers!

• WiredBob
    WiredBob
    Community Member
    Options

I'm pretty surprised that 1Password 4 doesn't include a simple numbered representation of each password letter, just to make this job a little easier. I understand the constraints of non standardisation, but these logins are quite commonplace now and some visual assistance would be helpful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WiredBob,

Thanks for adding your feedback here. This is a feature that we have been considering adding for a while now - there has been a good deal of interest in this. So I'll be sure to add your vote! :)

This discussion has been closed.