Feature Request: TOTP Generator

scheeko
scheeko
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

To be clear, I'm not asking for Two-factor authentication for 1Password.

I think it would be convenient if with 1Password there could be a Two-factor code generator, like the Google Authenticator. The feature would be just a widget, much like the Password Generator function on the application itself or the browser extensions.

I know that part of the goal of the Two-factor authentication is to have something physically separated. We use phones, but not computers, possibly because you won't use and it's not handy two computers most of the time, but most likely because people would install the Authenticator in their own computer.

However, if it's within the secure environment of 1Password it would be extremely convenient in times you can't access your phone. I already store the Authenticator key's within 1Password (so as to add another device in the future, or in case I loose both phone and recovery keys), so the important information is already there. You might say I shouldn't be keeping those keys and I might not be thinking this through entirely, but I'd like to hear your opinion (and if deemed relevant, have it implemented!).

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We've certainly thought about adding a TOTP generator, but I'm not making any promises. On the one hand, we like to keep things as simple as possible, without loads of features that are used only by a few people. But as TOTP becomes more widely deployed, integration into 1Password would be natural thing.

I'm guessing that everyone reading this is familiar with [TH]OTP, but for those who aren't, we described it in gory detail here:

Doing the two-step until the end of time

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• Bryce Robertson
    Bryce Robertson
    Community Member

Dashlane just announced support for Google Authenticator in their latest release. It would be very useful if 1Password could support this as well... more and more sites are supporting its use.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi Bryce,

I merged your post with this existing feature request thread. I'll certainly pass your vote for this along to the developers. Thanks for your feedback! :)

• norio_nomura
    norio_nomura
    Community Member

I want to protect my Google Authenticator with master password of 1Password for iOS.
    I hope 1Password for iOS to supporting be a TOTP token Generator.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added. Thanks, @norio_nomura!

• JimRPh
    JimRPh
    Community Member

I also like using Google Authenticator. At least until the ubiquitous DNA/Retina/Fingerprint scanners arrive.

I also request Linux Browser Extensions.

Another feature that Dashlane has that looks impressive is automatic saving of receipts. If it's doable, it would be a plus, although using Evernote or DevonThink for the purpose is relatively painless.

Not to nitpick, but lower prices, especially on the mobile App would make it easier to recommend 1Password to my poor friends (and more licenses for my poor self).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for all your feedback, @JimRPh! I'll pass this along to the developers. Please let me know if there is anything else. :)

Cheers!

• yostinso
    yostinso
    Community Member

Also tossing in my vote; I have a lot of entries in Google Authenticator, and it'd be great to autofill them from the 1Password browser extensions.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @yostinso! Your vote has been tallied. :)

• nanovivid
    nanovivid
    Community Member

+1 from me as well, both in the iOS and Mac apps.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Cheers! Thanks for letting us know you are interested as well, @nanovivid.

• lancepantz
    lancepantz
    Community Member

+1 totp isn't going away. even make it part of a pro version that costs twice. this would only be used by professional, in which case it would probably be paid for by corporations.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your perspective, @lancepantz! Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime. :)

• svh1985
    svh1985
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. Already did a feature request via mail but I would love to see this in 1p. More and more services are offering OTP nowadays and it make sense to have this in my password app.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It certainly would be handy. Thanks again for your feedback on this, @svh1985! :)

• jautry7
    jautry7
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

I seriously love 1Password and the beta is even cooler, but there is one small addition i think 1Password could use, and that is two-step verification integration. I'm not really sure how this would be implemented, but i wish there was like a little "Two-step verification enabled" checkbox that would tell you if it was enabled, and maybe a little field to type in the recovery key. Again, i dont know how this would work, since 2SV is totally independent and temporary, but i just think 1Password should give some little nod to this awesome security feature.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback, @jautry7. I merged your post with the existing thread for this feature request. It's certainly something on our minds. I'll pass your vote along. :)

• philkim
    philkim
    Community Member

In the light of recent Google Authenticator 2.0 fiasco, which wiped all the stored accounts upon update, I think it is more necessary for 1Password to offer integrated TOTP generator.

• scheeko
    scheeko
    Community Member

One thing that helped was saving the configuration key and/or QR code file in 1Password. I already did that for adding other devices. In any case, yep, still would like it!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate your feedback on this! I'll make sure the developers receive it. Please keep the feedback coming.

• TypeString
    TypeString
    Community Member

This would be a great feature to have. There is almost no way to get TOTP/HOTP generation on a desktop device.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TypeString,

Thanks for adding your thoughts here! I'll add your vote to the feature request :)

• tallpsmith
    tallpsmith
    Community Member

Just adding my voice to TOTP generation for 1Password, yes, it's sorta compromising the "Something that you have" part of Multi-Factor Authentication but then 1Password itself is by design on the one hand allowing lots of different passwords, but centralising on... 1Password... to access them.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your voice with this discussion, @tallpsmith. You've been heard. :)

• Graham Anderson
    Graham Anderson
    Community Member

+1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for adding your thoughts here, Graham!

• iwalkbarefoot
    iwalkbarefoot
    Community Member

I would also love to see this feature.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2014

Thanks, @iwalkbarefoot‌ !

• exstac
    exstac
    Community Member

This would be an awesome addition to your product.

• Jasper
    edited July 2014

Thanks for the feedback! I'll add your vote. :)

This discussion has been closed.