Migrating from 1Password 3.6.5 to 1Password 4

Options
BasilFawlty
BasilFawlty
Community Member
edited June 2013 in iOS

Ok, I have 1Password 3.6.5 on my iPhone. Originally it was on my iPhone 3GS, but I recently upgraded. as I type this, I am doing the steps (again) from scratch. I have deleted the new version and re-downloaded to my iphone 5, so I can go through this from scratch. Someone PLEASE tell me what I'm mising here. I go through these steps and it doesn NOT migrate my data:

1. Downloaded new version to iPhone (4.2.1) (Old version still on myiPhone)
  2. Tap to open the NEW 1 Password.
  3. Select the option "I've used 1Password before"
  4. From "Syncing Page" I select option: "Import from old version"
  5. It asks me to set a new master password, so I do
  6. At this point it says "You are now ready for migration" and "Unlock th eold app and then select the option to migrate your date"
    (Note, there is a button on this page that says "Get Started")
  7. I click "Get Started and my old app opens.
  8. I select "Migrate to 1Password 4"
    At this point I'm in my old app but nothing seems to be happening.
  9. I go back to my NEW app - no data has been migrated.
  10. If I can't get this solved, I intend to ask for a refund. This is ridiculous!

Comments

• jackr
    jackr
    Community Member
    Options

I think the "Migrate to 1Password 4" message (displayed by 1Password 3) means "go over to the NEW 1P and migrate." There, you'll find several "Migrate from" buttons.

I had "no data migrated", even then. In my case it turned out to be because I had been using DropBox to share my 1P with multiple devices -- I needed to "Migrate from DropBox," not "from 1Password 4."

• jackr
    jackr
    Community Member
    Options

Also, see the thread "iOS 1Password 3 upgrading to 4 with Mac and Dropbox syncing" here, for some discussion about Master Passwords. I think they might be a bit different than you're expecting.

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

I've done what you state in your first reply. I am NOT using drop box nor anything else to "sync" between devices. I simply want to transfer the data from my OLD 1P3 to the new 1P4. This should NOT be this hard! I have tried it every which way I can think of and no matter what I do or how I do it, the data does NOT transfer. Surely I'm not the only one with this issue and surely there muct be a simple solution? Anyone? (Again - I'm NOT using drop box nor will I)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree, @BasilFawlty. It shouldn't be hard at all. The majority of our customers do not have any trouble, but in some cases there can be a difficulty. I think the problem is that you are not using the current version of 1Password 3. You're using an old version that is out of date, and, as far as I know, doesn't contain the code to migrate to version 4 because of this.

You could use Wi-Fi syncing to transfer the data from 1Password 3 on your iOS device to 1Password 3 for Mac. (You can use the free trial of 1Password for Mac if you don't have a licensed copy.) Then use USB syncing to transfer the data into 1Password 4 if you do not want to use Dropbox.

Please let me know how it goes or if you are stuck on any step.

• BasilFawlty
    BasilFawlty
    Community Member
    Options

On my iPhone I have 1Password PRO version 3.6.5. If there a newer version of 3.X for my iPhone, I never got any notification of this. If there is a newer version that 3.6.5, how can I get it on my iPhone?

I tried what you suggested above. I have 1 Password on my iMac and hooked up my iPhone. I opened 1Password on my iMac (I have a licensed copy)., then I opened 1Password 3.6.5 on my iPhone and turn on syncing and tap "allow New Connections". I can see my iPhone under the "Sync" section in 1Password on my Mac. However, under "Wi-Fi Status" it says Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Settings). However, I did turn on wi-fi syncing and set it to allow new connections. I even closed 1Pass 3 on my iPhone and re-started it and re-established wi-fi syncing and I get the same thing - it still says "Not Authorized" when I select the iPhone in 1 Password on my Mac. Looks like I've reached a dead end. I understand there is some bug in 1Password 3 that prevents just migrating the data on my iPhone from 1P3 to 1P4, so at this point I am giving up. I have spent the last two days trying to solve this and have concluded there is no solution.

I will simply spend 2 hours manually copying down all my info and re-enter it all manually into 1Pass 4. I am not happy I have to do this BTW.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On my iPhone I have 1Password PRO version 3.6.5. If there a newer version of 3.X for my iPhone, I never got any notification of this. If there is a newer version that 3.6.5, how can I get it on my iPhone?

I'm not sure how you wouldn't have been notified by the App Store that updates were available. You update 1Password just like every other app on your device: via the App Store. There would have been a red badge on the App Store icon to tell you that there was an update. 1Password 3.6.5 is over a year old. There were several updates after that. The last version of 1Password 3 for iOS was 3.7.2. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to update to it since it is no longer for sale on the App Store since 1Password 4 for iOS was released.

I tried what you suggested above. I have 1 Password on my iMac and hooked up my iPhone. I opened 1Password on my iMac (I have a licensed copy)., then I opened 1Password 3.6.5 on my iPhone and turn on syncing and tap "allow New Connections". I can see my iPhone under the "Sync" section in 1Password on my Mac. However, under "Wi-Fi Status" it says Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Settings). However, I did turn on wi-fi syncing and set it to allow new connections. I even closed 1Pass 3 on my iPhone and re-started it and re-established wi-fi syncing and I get the same thing - it still says "Not Authorized" when I select the iPhone in 1 Password on my Mac. Looks like I've reached a dead end.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble syncing. It shouldn't be a dead end. It's just one of the reasons we didn't implement Wi-Fi syncing again in version 4. It can be a pain to set up and keep working well. :(

On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar under the SYNC section in 1Password, please remove it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete…"

IMPORTANT: Please restart your Mac and iOS device before proceeding further. This will restart the Bonjour networking service that Apple provides for Wi-Fi syncing. You can restart your iOS device by holding down both the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.

After restarting, please open Terminal (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste this line into Terminal and press Return:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

Now, please open 1Password on your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device:

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Tap Settings > Sync and turn Wi-Fi Sync ON.
    3. Tap "Allow New Connections". 1Password will display two secret sync codes.

On your Mac:

1. You should be prompted to enter the codes automatically.
    2. Click "OK" and begin configuring your sync options.
    3. Click "Sync" to perform a sync operation.

If you are still stuck, please take a look at our Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/sync_problems.html

I understand there is some bug in 1Password 3 that prevents just migrating the data on my iPhone from 1P3 to 1P4, so at this point I am giving up. I have spent the last two days trying to solve this and have concluded there is no solution.

The issue is that you are not using the most recent version of 1Password 3 for iOS: 3.7.2. You are using an old version 3.6.5 which simply doesn't have the migration code in it. It's not a bug. The code to do the migration just doesn't exist in a version that old. The steps I provided about should get your data synced via Wi-Fi. Please let me know how it goes after you have followed them carefully. I can provide further assistance if you provide details of where you are stuck or what you are [not] seeing happen.

I will simply spend 2 hours manually copying down all my info and re-enter it all manually into 1Pass 4. I am not happy I have to do this BTW.

In the future, I strongly recommend staying up to date with every update. This wouldn't be an issue if you had been updating 1Password and were using 1Password 3.7.2. Again, though, the steps above to reset Wi-Fi syncing should get it working just fine. Please let me know. I want to help. :)

• levnetet
    levnetet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.
    I need your help as well. The migration from the old (Ver3) iOS version into the new dosn't work. I have no Mac.

How to proceed?

thanks in advance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi @levnetet,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting your data migrated into 1Password 4. Let's try starting fresh with a new install of 1Password 4:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html
    • Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've used 1Password before" and you see two options to import the data from 1Password 3:

• Sync with Dropbox

If you have been syncing with Dropbox in 1Password 3, you can simply choose the "I've used Dropbox before" > "Sync with Dropbox..." option to automatically import your data!

• Import from Previous Version

If you have not been syncing with Dropbox, choose the "Import from old version" option, and it will import from your existing copy of 1Password 3 for iOS.
    *Just double-check to make sure that Dropbox sync is NOT enabled in 1Password 3, or it won't work.

Please let me know how this works!!

If you're still having difficulty, this may seem silly, but try opening 1Password 3. It should recognize that you have 1Password 4 installed and offer to migrate your database for you!

• UncleDan808
    UncleDan808
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue as BasilFawlty with version 3.7
    Does V3.7 have the code to migrate included in it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @UncleDan808‌

I've responded to your original post here.

This discussion has been closed.