Experiment #4 – New interface in 1Password.com’s vault view

Options
Max_ag
edited April 15 in Labs

Hi Folks!

Today we’re bringing you a beta version of a major update to the vault item view interface on 1Password.com. Our goal is to align the design with the main desktop application as well as improve our ability to introduce new features consistently across all of our platforms.

Unlike previous experimental features in labs, you are not required to manually enable this experiment, and it will not appear under the “Labs” tab in the 1Password apps. As this is an updated vault item view of our web interface, you can access it directly via this link.

At this time, the new interface provides a read-only version, which means it is limited in functionality compared to the current interface. We wanted to start testing as early as possible to identify any potential issues well in advance of a full rollout. Full functionality that aligns with the current vault item view interface will be gradually introduced over the next couple of months as we continue testing and developing.

The primary questions I'm trying to answer are:
1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?
2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault item view to all 1Password users?
3. Are you experiencing any performance issues?
4. How often do you use the vault item view in 1Password.com?

We are eager to hear what you think about this new web interface. Please share your feedback and thoughts below in the thread!

Updates

Apr 15

• Added support for creating and editing items
  • Added categories back to the sidebar

Feb 15

• Fixed part of the issue @firebeyer mentioned with custom item categories. Right now all custom categories will be grouped together under "Others", and we'll be fully supporting active custom categories soon.
  • Group and sort categories in the item list filter menu to match the desktop apps.

Feb 6

• Began supporting localization for the 12 languages already supported in the rest of the web app and other apps. There are some tasks remaining there.
  • Maintain the last item list sort order throughout the app and across page reload.
  • Show an alert popup when encountering unexpected errors, to hopefully avoid just showing a blank screen like @norysang reported.
  • Squashed some minor bugs.

Comments

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

Is it the expected behaviour to not show any items?

• rob
    Options

@norysang hmm, not if you can see items in the original view.

I'll have to dig in here. Could you reproduce this and generate a console log from your browser? Instructions here: https://support.1password.com/cs/browser-console/

Attach the log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com, and include:

For your privacy and security, don't post your console log here. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

Thank you!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

The view works for me. Looks good.
    1. I definitely prefer this look. This looks like the desktop app, so I'm used to it, will use it, and don't avoid the web interface as it is now.
    2. Yes, there is value in it, because it is the same look and gets the same workflow as the desktop app, I suppose. The old website is a completely different app and needs a different mindset, because its feature set is vastly different.
    3. No issues
    4. In the old website: almost never. I visit the website only for looking into account details such as billing, that's not in the desktop app. If I login to a new computer, the first thing I do is downloading the desktop app. If the website gets updated for the same feature set as the desktop app, the user experience is vastly improved and I don't need the desktop app even for casual use.

One remark: The huge font is too huge. Displaying a long password in huge font can wrap the last characters into a second line. May be you can scale down the huge font to occupy only one line.

• TGP
    TGP
    Community Member
    Options

Love the new interface, and I vote for it to be rolled out!

• rob
    rob
    edited January 19
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, @TGP and @Tertius3!

One remark: The huge font is too huge. Displaying a long password in huge font can wrap the last characters into a second line. May be you can scale down the huge font to occupy only one line.

Thanks for the feedback! The text wrapping is by design because passwords can be of arbitrary length, and we would rather make the text wrap than make "Large Type" not... large... but it looks like the font size tends to be bigger in the web app than in the desktop, so we can look into that.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options
    1. Yes, much nicer look. Consistency across interfaces is always a very nice bonus. You've done a great job here.

2. Rollout, to all, yes, especially once it's in read-write mode.

3. No performance issues - it's very fast, despite having some 40+ browser tabs open in Firefox. But I'm on a my beast machine, and only trying my test account w/38 entries currently, and 105 Recently Deleted.

4. I rarely use 1Password.com for vaults.

And not being retina-seared is a welcome change.

• Max_ag
    Options

Thank you for the initial feedback everyone, please do keep testing it and letting us know how it goes over a period of time. We appreciate your input a lot and will keep working to deliver the best experience we can

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

And not being retina-seared is a welcome change.

I forgot to praise the implementation of dark mode for the new website. To cite a former coworker when I showed him something in light mode: "It's burning my eyes!"

• firebeyer
    firebeyer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, absolutely. The new interface is more intuitive and user-friendly, enhancing my overall experience.

1. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?

Absolutely, I strongly supported this initiative during my time at 1Password. The drag-and-drop functionality for credentials greatly enhances efficiency. However, what excites me the most is the ability to manage multiple items simultaneously, such as dragging them to archive, which would always deter me from using the web app.

1. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.

I've noticed that custom categories aren't being displayed as expected:

1. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?

I use it at least once a week.

• rob
    Options

I've noticed that custom categories aren't being displayed as expected

Thanks @firebeyer! We've got a bug filed for this one. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#24790

• lode
    lode
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Way easier to find stuff if 1) it is the same as the app, and 2) in general I've always found the placement of buttons on the web a bit odd.

1. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?

Yes.

1. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.

No issue at all. Very smooth with 650+ items.

A few times a week, and then quite intense. Mostly this is for a business account where managing vaults is easier on the web than in the app. (Then I also really use the view vault page, not only the vault settings or so.)

• dzlater
    dzlater
    Community Member
    Options

Well the beta seems to fix the date bug I noticed while adding my driver's license to the app.
    (Date is in yyyy/mm/dd instead of mm/dd/yyyy.)
    When can we expect the date fix in the app?

• lammoth
    lammoth
    Community Member
    Options

Yes!

Yes!

At the moment nothing more than what has already been reported by other users.

About two times a week (when I use 1P on my Chromebook).

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2
    Options

Well the beta seems to fix the date bug I noticed while adding my driver's license to the app.
    (Date is in yyyy/mm/dd instead of mm/dd/yyyy.)
    When can we expect the date fix in the app?

@dzlater There is ongoing work from another team to improve our date handling across the board. That said, what platform are you using the app on? I tested on Mac just now, and driver's license date fields in both edit and view mode respect my system setting.

• rob
    Options

Thanks for the affirmation, @lode and @lammoth!

• nicos18
    nicos18
    Community Member
    Options

I just saw this thread about the new vault view and I already tried it.

I love the new vault view because it's aligned to the desktop and mobile counterparts.

I don't use very often the old 1Password vault view as it's confusing and the UI is too outdated.

Just one question: will be upgraded the UI also for the settings page of 1password.com?

Thanks.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I miss some sorting criteria: last used and frequently used. It's quite useful to bring infrequently used items or extremely seldom used items to the front, so I'm able to validate those accounts and optionally delete them. Not keeping unused accounts around improves security, because what doesn't exist in the database of some provider cannot be hacked and used in identity theft.

And of course the other way round: Items I'm using on a daily basis will show up on top of those lists, so I don't need to bookmark them.

• 1proller
    1proller
    Community Member
    Options

Hey
    The new site looks modern and fresh. love it. I want you to make it possible to export data through the iPhone or iPad . Currently you have to have PC or Mac to be able to do it which I don't have because I only have iPad and iPhone so I wouldn't have to borrow the computer to export my data. Another question will be the same both 1pass.com and eu? Thank you 🙏🏾

• rob
    Options

@nicos18 thanks for the kind words!

will be upgraded the UI also for the settings page of 1password.com?

Right now we're just working on the vault view. Other admin-y pages will be a separate effort.

• rob
    Options

I miss some sorting criteria: last used and frequently used.

Thanks for letting us know these are useful to you, @Tertius3! That will help with prioritization.

In order to stay focused and get the redesign shipped, we're limiting ourselves as much as possible to implementing features that already existed in the old vault view. That version actually doesn't support any sorting controls, it just sorts items alphabetically, so the new view already improves on that a little, and I think bringing additional sorting controls from the desktop to the web will be on the roadmap post launch.

• rob
    rob
    edited February 13
    Options

Hey, @1proller, thanks for the love!

I want you to make it possible to export data through the iPhone or iPad . Currently you have to have PC or Mac to be able to do it which I don't have because I only have iPad and iPhone so I wouldn't have to borrow the computer to export my data.

This is a great point. It's not related to this feature, but I've captured your feedback for our product team.

Another question will be the same both 1pass.com and eu?

If you're referring to the new vault view, yes, you can also see it in the EU and CA regions.

• rob
    Options

Hey, everyone. We've been working to address a variety of issues over the last four weeks, and I wanted to let you know about some recent updates:

Feb 6

• Began supporting localization for the 12 languages already supported in the rest of the web app and other apps. There are some tasks remaining there.
    • Maintain the last item list sort order throughout the app and across page reload.
    • Show an alert popup when encountering unexpected errors, to hopefully avoid just showing a blank screen like @norysang reported.
    • Squashed some minor bugs.

Feb 15

• Fixed part of the issue @firebeyer mentioned with custom item categories. Right now all custom categories will be grouped together under "Others", and we'll be fully supporting active custom categories soon.
    • Group and sort categories in the item list filter menu to match the desktop apps.

We're planning to begin letting users know about this new view directly in the web app soon, and we're beginning to tackle additional functionality like editing items. Thanks for helping us get to this point!

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    Options

Still no mobile support.

The current website is barely usable on mobile in fully zoomed out view.

No, using the native mobile app isn’t always an option. Sometimes you need to log in to a second account, etc.

Every reasonable website has mobile support nowadays. Can’t be that hard that AgileBits can’t figure it out.

But I forgot the reality. 1Password apps have continuously grown more buggy over the years. The company’s focus went to hire an army of “feel good” customer service reps that promise “we hear you” after every comment, and copywriter PR people that fill up the blog with SEO spam, instead of hiring the boring developers who actually build and fix things. Alas, after a decade as a customer, I grow less and less happy each year about extending my subscription.

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    Options

Still no mobile support.

No, using the native mobile app isn’t always an option. E.g. temporarily log in to a second account, etc.

Every other website seems to have mobile support these days. Can’t be that hard, AgileBits!

• rob
    Options

The current website is barely usable on mobile in fully zoomed out view.

Hey, @philmcole, thanks for the feedback! Mobile support is something that's on our minds as well. You're right that it hasn't been a priority for us. Right now we're focused on improving the desktop experience for the web app, which has languished a bit.

We are getting closer to having mobile support, though. If you resize your browser small enough, you'll see the sidebar collapses away and slides back in only when you hover on the left side. This doesn't help a ton on phones right now, but it's indicative of the flexibility the new layout will give us, so we can continue improving.

instead of hiring the boring developers who actually build and fix things

To be clear, I'm one of the boring developers building this thing. 😎 I've been at 1Password since 2010, and I can assure you that while we've always prioritized our customer support, our engineering team is much larger. We're tackling a wide variety of problems, but we recognize the need for maintaining the stuff we already have, and that's where this project comes from. Our desktop and mobile apps have received more attention than our web app lately, and we needed to course correct.

I hope we'll be able to win you over again this year. ❤️

• Al Nelson
    Al Nelson
    Community Member
    Options

Looks much better. I rely on this heavily at work where I can't get 1password approved to use natively.

• I miss the options like move between vaults in the desktop version
    • Not sure if technically possible but would be great if passkeys can work
  • rob
    Options

Hi, @Al Nelson, thanks for posting!

I miss the options like move between vaults in the desktop version

This will be coming. Right now the new version is read-only, but we'll be implementing edit support and other features in the coming weeks before we remove the old version. Our goal for this round is to support everything the old version of the web app supports, and that includes moving items between vaults. 👍 Once we're there we can remove the old version and just concentrate on further improvements to the new one.

Not sure if technically possible but would be great if passkeys can work

Do you mean signing in to other sites using passkeys? That's supported in our browser extensions, but it's not something we can do with just a web app. Are you able to install the browser extension at work?

• Al Nelson
    Al Nelson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately no, I can't use passkeys at work - application control doesn't allow users to select their own password managers as extensions in the browser - ironically security policies are preventing me from being more secure. Probably common in large orgs.

I didn't realise you can move vaults in the old version - I use the old version for edits, but have always used mobile to switch vaults!