Unlocking 1password with passkey on yubikey

Options
YamExpert
YamExpert
Community Member

As it says in the title, will it be possible in the future to unlock 1password with a passkey stored on a yubikey?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• YamExpert
    YamExpert
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I see that this is already supported in the upcoming version.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @YamExpert! 👋

Thanks for the question! As you mentioned, you can add security keys to a passkey unlock account (currently available only in beta) and use that security key to unlock 1Password. You can read more here:

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

• sebna
    sebna
    Community Member
    Options

Will it work with Yubi Bio (finger print edition)?

I read all articles I could find on the topic but few things remain unclear to me.

Will it eventually be possible to use two of my Yubi Bio keys as the sole means for passkey unlock (password less access to my 1P) of my vault and in general authentication of my 1password?

Is it already possible in the current beta?

I am asking as it seems that currently I have to set it up with some other way to store first passkey during setup and only following passkeys I can try to save in my key?

Also is it ok to transfer my vault to beta program or would it be considered risky?

Am I understanding it correctly that eventually I should be able to set password less access using my Yubi and to open my 1p I would need to plug my Yubi with passkey for 1p and confirm with finger scan on my Yubi Bio to unlock 1p for use?

This would be ideal as I could store majority of my passkeys in 1P and keep only free key ones on Yubi (it can take only 25 anyway).

Thank you

• YamExpert
    YamExpert
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think the 1password app will care what kind of security key you're using, as long as it's aligned with the FIDO2 standard.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@sebna

Thank you for the reply. I don't see an obvious reason why the Yubikey Bio wouldn't work but I don't have one to test myself. If you do run into any issues then let me know and I can dig deeper.

Will it eventually be possible to use two of my Yubi Bio keys as the sole means for passkey unlock (password less access to my 1P) of my vault and in general authentication of my 1password?

Yes, you can add your security key to your passkey unlock account and use that security key to unlock 1Password. Once you've added multiple security keys, you can remove the passkey that you've saved in your platform provider.

Also is it ok to transfer my vault to beta program or would it be considered risky?

Passkey unlock is currently in beta which means that you might run into more quirks and issues than what is usually expected. And things might change as our developers continue to iterate. However your data is still safe and protected using 1Password's encryption and security.

To avoid being locked out, and losing access to your data, I recommend that you save a recovery code right after you create your test account: Unlock 1Password with a passkey (beta)

Let me know if that answers your questions.

-Dave