1Password 4 Chrome extension fails to install

Options
mha
mha
Community Member

When clicking on the big "Add to chrome" button on https://agilebits.com/browsers/download/chrome?beta=false, I get this exception in the JS console:

Uncaught The Chrome Web Store item link URL parameter must be a string. webstore:16
Installer.install webstore:16
install webstore:50
do_chrome_inline_install application2.js?1380780782:147
p.event.dispatch jquery-1.8.0.min.js?1380780782:2
g.handle.h

Browsing the source code, I found this Chrome web store URL for the extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

... but that doesn't look very assuring. 1 user? No screenshots?

Best,
Martin

Comments

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Wonder what the advantage of this bloaty script solution over a simple link to the extension is. However, a solution will be greatly appreciated.

Hessi

• neoraptor
    neoraptor
    Community Member
    Options

Also the same problem here (OS X 10.8.5 / Chrome 30.0.1599.66).
    I can't manage to make the extension from the webstore working (no sync).

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member
    Options

I' also having trouble installing the Chrome extension. When I click on "Install Browser Extensions" I am taken to the agilebits page in Chrome, click on Install, and am taken to "1Password extension is installing." Click on Add to Chrome has no effect. Old extension (beta) has been removed. Quit Chrome and tried again.Repeated several times with same result. Extensions installed on Safari and Firefox without any issues.

• zhaocai
    zhaocai
    Community Member
    Options

same problem here. does anyone have a direct link to the extension for download?

• yfan7
    yfan7
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, me too having trouble installing the chrome extension. Reinstalled chrome with no success. Guess I'll use safari for the time being...

• ChrisE
    ChrisE
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. I saw another thread which indicated the team are aware of it.

• yfan7
    yfan7
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and btw, great update! Thank you AgileBits so much for such a greatly used app!

• Aknat
    Aknat
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, but I guess every chrome user has this problem now :)

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member
    Options

+1, this is very disappointing. I have also just read the massive list of know issues. I didn't opt in to be a beta tester and get very frustrated when companies release buggy software. I want to pay for a product that has been properly engineered and tested - if I wanted a buggy cheap option there are plenty of other products. In my mind this should be the one of the most thoroughly tested and reliable apps I own - if there are this many "GUI" bugs how can we be sure that the crypto has been coded well and ALL my families critical passwords are being kept safe?? Maybe Agile bits should spend less effort on fitting out their new office and more on writing the code! I would have been happy for v4 to be a paid version if the development team was properly resourced.

• Kerim Friedman
    Kerim Friedman
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem too. However, I was able to install the beta version by clicking the "Feeling adventurous? Enable betas" link beneath the install button. Installing the beta version is a little more involved, but by following the instructions supplied it worked fine for me.

• Jamieson Akazawa
    Jamieson Akazawa
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Kerim Friedman
    Kerim Friedman
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I was able to do so as well thanks to rowatt's hint. However, it didn't work directly - I had to manually change the URL to this: https://agilebits.com/browsers/download/chrome?beta=true

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member
    Options

It appears the problem has been corrected. I was able to install the Chrome extension (not beta) using the standard procedure from within 1Password. Thanks, agilebits.

• Thank you for reporting this problem, everyone!

It should now be fixed.

• neoraptor
    neoraptor
    Community Member
    Options

I also manage to install the extension, but it does not go further.

I am stuck with this screen, and can't push any button/link.
    Note the shield in the search bar, which means there is a script coming from non authenticated sources.

I have the same behavior with the beta installer and the version from the google webstore.

• mha
    mha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot, works here as well!

• neoraptor
    neoraptor
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I noticed that the installation of the extension (from the google webstore or the beta) will fail if there is a proxy configured !!
    It is also working on my side now !!

Webstore version 4.0.0.23 (from the header of agilebits page) : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk
    Beta version 4.0.0.22 : https://agilebits.com/browsers/download/chrome?beta=true

Both versions are working (tried with beta first then uninstall beta and installed the standard one).

• Hi @neorapther,

Right, the 1Password extension needs to be able to communicate to 1Password mini on the localhost/127.0.0.1 address. A proxy, VPN, and any network that isn't properly adjusted for this, may break the communication between them.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    Options

Now it works for me.

• yfan7
    yfan7
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear that the chrome extension works!

But I have another problem between chrome on my PC and Mac. I get an error having extension 4.0.0.23 on my PC:

And if I disable 4.0.0.23 on my PC it become disable on my Mac. What can I do?

• Hi @yfan7,

Unfortunately, right now, you have to disable the extension sync in your Chrome Sync settings. When you do that, on Windows, you have to disable the 1Password 4 extension and enable the 1Password 3 one. That'll keep 1Password happy on both platforms until we release 1Password 4 for Windows. Once 1Password 4 for Windows is released, you can then re-enable the extension sync.

• abz
    abz
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, doesn't work. I get an error from Chrome that says: "The page at https://agilebits.com says: There was an error installing the Chrome extension. Please try again." Trying again yields the same error (over and over). None of the solutions listed here resolves this error. Now what?

• maximba
    maximba
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the following in js console after clicking the big red button at https://agilebits.com/browsers/download/chrome?beta=false page:

Inline install error: Installs can only be initiated by the Chrome Web Store item's verified site application2.js:134

• yfan7
    yfan7
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT. Thanks for the suggestion, I have it working the way you advised. Great to hear that 1Password for windows will be getting an update. You guys are awesome!!! Much appreciated!

• johsny
    johsny
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is still not installing. I installed the beta version manually, at least now I can work.

• abz
    abz
    Community Member
    Options

How did you install the beta version manually?

• Rob Maigret
    Rob Maigret
    Community Member
    Options

Problem for me was a proxy server was configured. Maddening. Thanks for figuring it out, forum!

• Phoebe Ryles
    Phoebe Ryles
    Community Member
    Options

So far the whole 1Password 4 doesn't seem to work. The Crome extension won't install and Safari freezes when I open the extension page.

This discussion has been closed.