Switch Vaults

Options
ATLChris
ATLChris
Community Member
edited October 2013 in iOS

I just downloaded 1Password 4 on my Mac. I created a second Vault for my wife. I setup syncing on Dropbox for both vaults (so now I have 2 keychain files in DB). How to I switch between them on iPassword for iOS?

Comments

• anrise
    anrise
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to understand this as well, its a little confusing?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ATLChris and @anrise,

I'm glad to hear that you're excited about multiple vaults - we are too!

Unfortunately at this point, 1Password 4 for iOS does not yet support multiple vaults. We hope to add this feature soon, but I can't give you a timeframe on completion at this point. We do appreciate your patience - this is only the start of what we hope to do with multiple vaults :)

• BermudaAl
    BermudaAl
    Community Member
    Options

iOS support for multiple Vaults is a MUST if the multi-Vault feature is to be of practical use.

• ATLChris
    ATLChris
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully it comes soon. Multiple vaults is practically worthless without cross platform support.

• deadlyhifi
    deadlyhifi
    Community Member
    Options

I really do need this feature for it to be useful to me, and it could be very useful to me.

• Jerrold Smith
    Jerrold Smith
    Community Member
    Options

Totally agree. In fact, I now need to UNDO my multiple vaults in order to properly use 1Password across platforms. Can we at least get a general estimate of when this will be available on iOS – weeks, months? This is a great feature but maybe you shouldn't have rolled it out until it was seamless and it "just works."

• Jerrold Smith
    Jerrold Smith
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Megan – any insight re: my post? Do I have to undo my vaults?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there,

I really do wish I could give out more details, but I just can't. There are just too many factors (some of which are completely beyond our control) that affect un-released features. The last thing I want to do is give you a timeline we can't live up to.

Please know though, that vaults are high on our priority list for iOS.

• Jerrold Smith
    Jerrold Smith
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

You've all but said I need to undo my vaults for the time being, though I wish you would actually just say it. It's beginning to seem like you guys just wanted to get out in front of Mavericks's iCloud Keychain with a differentiating app feature even if it wasn't implemented on iOS or Windows yet.

The AgileBits "awesomeness" track record is excellent, but you guys messed up here. So says a paying customer since 2008.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jerrold,

I'm sorry that you feel we messed up here, and I do get your frustration. I love how vaults look so far, and I wish I could do all of the things with them right now!

Our development team is awesomely talented, but small. We want to be sure we perfect this feature as we release it across each platform. It will be rolling out slowly as we update each. We do appreciate your patience :)

• ba66e77
    ba66e77
    Community Member
    Options

One of the main reasons I updated to 1Password 4 on the Mac was the support for multiple vaults. However, I don't see a way to use any but a single vault in my iOS version. Both the mac and ios versions are synced through dropbox but items I create in the non-primary vaults on the mac don't appear in the iOS version. Is this just unsupported or am I missing a trick?

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

@ba66e77

It is on the way. AgileBits is quite busy at the moment, but this feature is on the road map.

• First off... really have loved 1P. And like the new release for the most part.

I'd have to concur with Jerrold... multiple vaults seems very half baked and somewhat pointless as it stands. The beauty of 1P is that your passwords are with you everywhere... but not if you use multiple vaults as intended.

Megan... I'm having a hard time putting together all the marketing around this on the AgileBits website... and what you can actually accomplish with the release as it stands. Seems to be pretty misleading. It's not actually stated that this works yet... but the fact that your primary marketing message is that your passwords are synced to everywhere you need them... and then a major new feature doesn't actually accomplish that. Not sure that this is us "feeling like [AgileBits] messed up" or the fact that you actually have. Hope the iOS release is ready soon.

• jlc236
    jlc236
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Not to take away from all the good work on v4, but I'd like to echo all the user sentiments in this thread. iOS support for multiple vaults is essential.

• coykrill
    coykrill
    Community Member
    Options

Wish I had read this post before taking my Vault and splitting it up into multiple pieces only to find out, only my Primary vault is accessible on my phone. Time to reverse...what a bummer and waste of time. Still like the idea, just not ready for prime time without it syncing across phone, ipad and macbook.

• Gaetan
    Gaetan
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1P IOS to be on par with 1P on the Mac ... asap.
    A while ago, I was tempted to buy 1P for Mac + Win + IOS but when I found out that it does not support multiple password files, I decided to wait until it did. I thought that the new vault feature would accomplish (almost) what I was looking for. At this point, I am disappointed that the power of the multiple vaults is for a Mac only world. Looks like I will retain Keypass for a while longer.

• joesap
    joesap
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list of users who assumed this new feature of 1Password for Mac would be available for 1Password for iOS as well. I think the main issue is that AgileBits seems to consider them two separate offerings but the overall branding – as well as user perception – is that all of the apps are one thing.

But I'd be remiss not to mention how happy I am to have the feature at all. I've long been looking for a system to securely share notes among a team of people, and the new Multiple and Shared Vaults feature of 1Password 4 for Mac seems perfect. I just can't wait until it comes to iOS! In the meantime, I suppose I could use 1Password anywhere to access it from inside DropBox, right?

• inspry
    inspry
    Community Member
    Options

Second that, multiple vaults is kinda useless without support for iOS as I can't completely jump ship to 1Password. Since my client info needs to be in a completely separate vault from my own vault. And I need to access both vaults on my phone with two separate master passwords. Also I suggest a separate keychain for each vault as I do not think the vaults should be connected in anyway, my 2 cents, again thinking of different clients and they need to be seperate from my own personal info for each vault. Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joesap,

Again, I do want to apologize for the confusion surrounding multiple vaults. It can be difficult for a small team such as ourselves to roll a major feature out to all platforms at once, but we are working to get it done as soon as possible.

Thank you though for the kind comments, I am glad to hear that you like what you see in vaults so far! As for accessing your second vault via 1Password Anywhere, provided that vault is stored in Dropbox and you use the Dropbox website and not the Dropbox app on your iOS device to access your 1Password.html file, it should work just fine. If you are unable to, please let me know and we'll do our best to get it sorted out :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @inspry,

I've merged your comment with this thread, as you are all excited about the same thing :)

While I don't have details on when multiple vaults will be available for iOS, our developers are certainly keen on making it happen!

And, yes, each of your vaults is secured behind a unique Master Password. They can operate completely independently.

• Jerrold Smith
    Jerrold Smith
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Not to beat a dead horse here, but a simple disclaimer on the 1Password for Mac page along the lines of "Multiple vault support coming soon to iOS and Windows clients" would be a giant help in blunting the complaints of a enthusiastic installed customer base.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac#vaults

No one is arguing that you don't have a very talented development team; it's the fact that you aren't clearly communicating a (current) limitation that's the problem.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jerrold,

Thank you for the feedback. I have passed this suggestion along to our team. :)

• porkozone
    porkozone
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list that is quite frustrated to have spent quite a bit of time excited over the multiple vaults feature, only to have the rug pulled out from under me when trying to sync with my phone. Luckily, I had discovered this before I took your steps provided to change the name of my primary account to my name.

I understand not having both apps updated yet. but I do not understand why you would not specify that incompatibility on the marketing pages of the Mac version. A simple asterisk with a disclaimer in small text would be sufficient, and let us know the actual state of the feature.

I do like how multiple vaults is being handled on the Mac version. It's slick. Would it be possible to have an interim update on the iOS version that allows us to specify which file to use, at least, while the full integration is being finished?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @porkozone,

Thanks for adding your feedback here. I do apologize for the frustration here.

I'd be more than happy to help you point your iOS device at the correct vault, but it's going to be a bit more technical than we can easily do in the forums. So, would you mind sending me a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please also tell me a bit more about your current vault naming scheme, including which vault you would like the iOS app to see.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.