Now 1Password 4 (Mac) is out, with WiFi Sync, when will 1Password (iOS) be updated with WiFi sync?

Options
Tezcatlipoca
Tezcatlipoca
Community Member

As in the subject... :)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @Tezcatlipoca,

We hope to update 1Password 4 for iOS to allow Wi-Fi sync soon, but unfortunately I can't give you any specific details at this point. Thanks for checking in on us :)

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

It would have helped if the site mentioned all this originally, though. The initial implication was that everything was ready to go, yet the iOS app hasn't been updated yet and from what I have read it turns out that once you upgrade to v4 on the Mac you can't carry on using USB sync in the meantime :(

• Lynn
    Lynn
    Community Member
    Options

Actually to use the phrase 'implication' is being kind. The web was filled with reviewers gushing over how WiFi sync was back and how wonderful and glorious this update is for Mac users. You have this listed on the main page for Mac;
    Wi-Fi Sync. Sync Mac, iPhone, and iPad locally. Your data never leaves your network.
    That is a complete lie. IT DOES NOT DO WIFI SYNC. What a crock of marketing BS. Blatant false advertising.
    I bought the v.4 iOS upgrade last December only to find out that ,no, wifi sync is not supported (really then why did you say it would on your web page? Use the kluge of Dropbox blah blah. If I want my passwords exposed on someone's server why bother worry ing about a password app anyway?
    This is the same crock of crap from almost a year ago. Shame on you guys. A good product with shitty implementation. Your don't generate customer good will by treating us like we're stupid. I feel REAL pleased that I just bought an ipgrade to a family license and now learn that oops, no wifi, don't know when that is coming for iOS.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice , shame on me. You won't get opportunity to pull this crap on me again.

• Famulus
    Famulus
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@Megan: The problem is that we believe you. The version with WiFi-Sync will be available soon. But what a pity: Your customers know quite well, what this word means the at AgileBits: for sure not this year, may be next summer or never.
    You are too sure that there is no real alternative to 1Password on the mac. But there is one to 1Password 4: 1Password 3... It works quite fine, has Wifi-Sync and not one of the new bugs one can read in the long list here. So the best one can do is to forget version 4, stay with 1Password 3 until it doesn't work any longer and after this to take a pencil and a book to write the passwords in.

• johsny
    johsny
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, I'm really confused. So it looks like I can't sync at all? Not good to find this out on a sunday, with work tomorrow and I am going to need my passwords on the phone. Pen and paper it is then! :-S

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@johsny, is there any reason you can't transfer your agile keychain from your Mac to your phone using iTunes?

Edit: see here.

Stephen

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

The USB beta tool used to work for me to sync between 1Password 3 for OS X and their iPhone/iPad app. However Agilebits says this is no longer supported for 1Password 4 for OS X. In a thread he started in the 1Password for Mac forum entiltled "Wi-Fi Sync" Hessijames said that this tool still seemed to work for him (he strongly suggested making a backup of the keychain beforehand) with the new Mac Version 4. Personally I hesitate to try this as an interim solution until I hear Agilebits official position on this.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

CORRECTION! Subsequent to my last post regarding @Hessijames experience on being able to use the USB synch tool with Version 4, Hessijames has posted a new message in the Wi-Fi sync thread in the 1Password for Mac forum which indicates that the USB sync tool actually DOES NOT WORK for him after all.

His message is as follows "Ok. Correction. USB sync does not work. Items changed on my Mac are synced as duplicates to my iPhone. Local sync is now officially broken without a warning. I can't believe it."

I guess I can't believe it either. If you want to sync between your Mac and iPhone/iPad, Agilebits has once again taken away a local sync option that worked for some of us (old wifi sync and then the usb sync) and forced us into putting our keychains into the cloud until an update to their iPhone/iPad comes out "soon".

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Yeah. This really is extremely annoying.

No more USB sync, as 1P v4 (Mac) doesn't support it.

... but no WiFi sync, as 1P v4 (iOS) hasn't been updated yet.

Poor show, Agile :( This should have been made clear from the beginning, before myself and others upgraded to 1P v4 for the Mac. [Just as it should have been made clear when 1P v4 was first released for iOS that you'd dropped WiFi sync from it]

If v4 for the Mac broke one sync method, and v4 for iOS does not yet have the other sync method in place, perhaps the Mac release should have been held back until the iOS version was ready?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

I really do apologize that I can't give you any more details. I know that this situation is frustrating, but please understand that we want to be sure that Wi-Fi sync is reliable and well-tested before we release it to the general public.

If you are tired of waiting (and I certainly don't blame you if you are!), you are welcome to help us test it: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/new

• Jerm
    Jerm
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that all businesses have limited resources but I find it extremely disappointing that 1password on iOS is unable to sync locally with 1password 4 on OSX. AgileBits should have waited for both products to be complete and released them simultaneously. This piecemeal approach is irresponsible.

While I will continue to use these products for the time being I can't in good conscience continue to recommend them to others.

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

Yup. I really think it should have been held back until the iOS update was ready to go public. You'd think that Agile would have realised the importance to people of having a local sync option, given all the fuss when the iOS version lost WiFi sync.

• Kootenay Redneck
    Kootenay Redneck
    Community Member
    Options

I really have to agree with a few of the above comments that WiFi Sync was touted as an advance feature when upgrading to version 4 and was syncing today and thought I’d look for this WiFi sync but it was’nt anywhere to be found. You owe everyone a big apology concerning this matter since it was false advertising on your behalf and I would’nt be surprised that a few might seek legal action because of the false advertising.

• wasabinator
    wasabinator
    Community Member
    Options

Add another to the list here. I find all this feature incompatibility a bit ridiculous and I certainly purchased the upgrades for both iOS and Mac for the wifi sync. Right now I am simply not using either app because of this which is more than a little unfortunate due to the cost involved.

• timebot
    timebot
    Community Member
    Options

Looking forward to the update! Hope it gets approved and speedily updated sometime this or next week.

• shish1
    shish1
    Community Member
    Options

I've been a faithful user of 1Password for many years and versions, and I too am very disappointed that a new version was released which didn't have wifi sync. It's been very important for me to keep the passwords between devices in sync and I do not faith in Dropbox nor iCloud. The wifi sync should have been included in 1Password 4 before public release.

• Philip Garrett
    Philip Garrett
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan said:

we want to be sure that Wi-Fi sync is reliable and well-tested before we release it to the general public.

You should have been sure that it was actually available before touting it as a feature. I see you're still advertising it:

• Wi-Fi Sync is back - many of our customers asked for a way to sync with 1Password 4 for iPhone and iPad but keep their data out of The Cloud, and we delivered

I spent $40 to get 1Password 4, specifically for this feature. I spent another $18 to upgrade 1Password for iPhone, since I naively assumed that you weren't falsely advertising this feature. What gives?

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah... "we delivered" eh?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, I have good news for all of you:

1Password 4 for iOS version 4.3 is currently being reviewed by the App Store. It has Wi-Fi sync capabilities. As soon as it is approved, you will also have Wi-Fi sync capabilities. :)

Again, I would like to thank you for your patience.

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan :)

I would just like to point out, again, however, what myself and others have already mentioned in this thread and other similar threads:

The OS X version should have been held back until the iOS version was updated, either that or Agile should have at least been clear from the beginning that upgrading to version 4 for OS X would render local sync impossible until the iOS version was updated.

Touting 1P v4 for OS X as having WiFi sync back, and saying "we delivered" as quoted above, etc. etc. was totally out of order given that it most definitely was not back and Agile most definitely did not "deliver", because without the iOS version being updated too there is nothing to sync with!

It was also rather ridiculous that as well as WiFi sync not being ready (despite initial claims), the OS X update also broke the only other method of local sync, USB sync... Again without warning or notice.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tezcatlipoca

I really appreciate your feedback on this issue. As I have said, I do understand your frustration here, and rest assured, your comments have been passed along! :)

• wasabinator
    wasabinator
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. My own concern was what "soon" actually meant, but my fears now have been allayed. Good news! :)

• FromOZ
    FromOZ
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I would agree with the frustrations expressed by users in this post, I may have expressed the emotions personally to myself but perhaps would not express them as strongly publicly.

Having said that @Megan I would appreciate it if you could pass onto those persons in your company who make decisions that they have made a number of bad decisions in the way they treat customers, including how they provide information.

Like many people I bought the iOS 4 version last year - it's been sitting on my iPad and iPhone idle for a year, but you've had my money for a year. I had to stick with version 3 because no way was I going to upload my highly sensitive and confidential password file onto a service hosted by a provider which resides in a foreign, hostile, country — I am talking about Dropbox & the USA. Recent world events and revelations about the NSA I believe have proven that my fears were warranted.

So 1Password 4 for Mac comes out and I think — well AgileBits will now have the iOS and OS X versions in-step and I can now use WiFi syncing between them... but no such luck.

I believe I said this the last time I had occasion to complain about AgileBits when version 4 came out for iOS. Here's the point — you've got customers email addresses.... why they hell don't you email customers and tell them what's happening. Sure, keep the marketing guff on your website and the App store, but announce the new version by email to customers (before you announce it publicly) and give them the real details. Tell them you're got the WiFi sync version submitted to the App store and it will be just a while longer. But you don't, and people find out the hard way and get really p*ssed off — and you get reviews like I gave you for the current version of 1Password iOS. It's your own fault.

Good software but poor marketing and customer interaction.

I trust I will be able to finally give the new iOS version a better review.

================

p.s. I was watching some stupid American politician railing on the news about how the NSA was snooping on his aunt Maude and how incensed he was. It then got onto discussion about how America was also spying on citizens of allied countries and he says, basically, "yeah, so what, they're foreigners". What arrogance.

p.p.s. The last time I brought up about proactively emailing customers with news someone from AgileBits said "but we don't want to SPAM customers!". Give me a break... I'm an IT manager, therefore I hate, loathe and despise SPAM and spammers. But I would happily receive important product update information from the company making the software. Especially software that is as important to me as 1Password is.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FromOZ,

Thank you very much for that well-written feedback. I will make certain it is passed along.

As you brought up the issue of data security, I'd like to draw your attention to a post by one of our security experts: 1Password and the Crypto Wars. (You can also join in on the whole discussion here.) I want to assure you that we are keeping a close eye on recent security developments.

• richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

So it's been five months now and 1PW 4 still will not sync with my original iPad. No mention of that on the iTunes website or agilebits' site AFAIK.

From the Mac App Store:

YOUR APPLICATION

• Runs on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

No, no it does not.

I kept 1PW3 on my MacBook Air so that I could continue to sync my iPad via WiFi and now that 1PW4 has apparently taken over my Dropbox sync, that no longer works either. 1PW on my iPad has lost so much data it is basically useless now.

This is the second time I've attempted to use 1PW4...first directly from the agile bits website and when it failed so miserably I asked for and received a refund. I gave it a few months to get the bugs worked out and bought the App Store version. I guess some bugs were resolved, but obviously many others were not. It's really too bad. agilebits used to have a stellar reputation. Having been a 1PW user and evangelist for years I couldn't be more disappointed.

Releasing 1PW4 when it couldn't even handle the tasks of 1PW3 is just shameful.

This discussion has been closed.