No printing in 1Password 4 for Mac means users no longer have control over their own data

Options
billj
billj
Community Member

"Known Issues in 1Password 4 for Mac" confirms that printing is currently unavailable in 1Password 4 for Mac.

Does "currently unavailable" mean that printing will be added later? If so, what is the anticipated date it will become available?

Without the ability to print, the only way I can access my most important information is with 1Password.

That's bad.

To borrow language from Google's "Data Liberation Front," users should be able to control the data they store in 1Password, and the developer's goal should be to make it easier to move data in and out.

"Known issues" also notes that "Export/Import currently only support the 1PIF format." While I can open a 1PIF file in BBEdit, what is displayed is nearly incoherent. In addition to printing, a "friendlier" data export format would be useful.

Don't get me wrong: I've used 1Password since 2007 and have recommended it to scores of clients and friends. But without allowing me to access my data outside of a single application, I'm afraid 1Password 4 for Mac falls short.

Comments

• Hi @billj,

Printing and full import/export are going to be implemented in future free updates to 1Password, I don't have a timeframe but they're both top priorities for us. We hate locking anybody into our app and format as much as you do, we just need a bit more time to implement them properly.

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Mike.

It's a relief to know that printing will be implemented in 1Password 4 for Mac.

In the meantime, how would I downgrade to the last version of 1Password 3? It's no longer available on the Mac App Store. And the latest downloadable copy of 1PWD3 on your Legacy Versions page is 3.8.20. If my memory serves me, the last MAS version was 3.9 something.

I saw a note on your website today saying I could email AgileBits a copy of my MAS receipt for 1Password 3 and they'd send me a serial number for a downloadable version of the software. But again, I don't know if there's a special URL for downloading a version later than 3.8.20. (I'm running Mountain Lion.)

I'll manually remove the version 4 browser extensions and all that. Anything else I should delete?

I've made some changes to the data in 1Password 4 for Mac. Is my data file still compatible with version 3? Or do I need to restore from a backup?

One last thing. If I go ahead and downgrade to 1Password 3 for Mac, what's the best way of finding out when printing (and full import/export) are added to 1Password 4?

• Hi @billj,

Mac App Store does not let you downgrade, there are no ways to get an early version there. Also 3.8.21 is identical to 3.9.6, the 3.8.x is reserved for the website versions and 3.9.x is for the MAS versions.

Yes, you can email your receipt to our team at support@agilebits.com and we'll send you a license for the 3.8.x apps, which you can find here.

Note, that you can technically use 1Password 3.8.x alongside 1Password 4.x if you want. I'd recommend using 1Password 4 to sync to a folder, which will export the 1Password 3-compatible format and 1Password can be in sync with that data file. You can keep using 1Password 4, and any changes you make, will be sync'ed to the 1Password 3 format, which you can then open with 1Password 3 to print as needed.

That would be the better solution, allowing you to take advantages of all the new features in 1Password 4 and 1Password 3 while waiting for us to release the update with the print feature. When we do, you can just remove 1Password 3.8.

Please let me know what you'd like to do or you can let us know in the email. If you do email, let me know, so I can close this thread and we'll keep talking via emails.

• 1PasswordDependent
    1PasswordDependent
    Community Member
    Options

Congrats on the new 1Password version.

What has been done to address making a hard copy of 1 Password covered websites - with all user names and passwords?

I'd like to make a hard copy of my user names / passwords, etc. that I can print and put in a safety deposit box, etc.

• I am sorry, print feature didn't make it into 4.0 release. We hope to make it available soon.

• 1PasswordDependent
    1PasswordDependent
    Community Member
    Options

Roustem thanks for your reply. What do you suggest for now? This really is a big issue.

• jerry_wilson
    jerry_wilson
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a new user to 1Password with version 4 and I really like it. BUT - my primary reason for buying the product was to consolidate my usernames and passwords to appease my wife who wants this in case I die on her. In any event, I really need a printed list and was hoping this would be available. Please get to this soon. Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jerry_wilson, maybe, thinking outside the box for a moment, something like the 1Password Emergency Kit would help. (Note this is third party, not AgileBits—but it's a simple text template that might do all you require.)

Stephen

• jerry_wilson
    jerry_wilson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen. I've taken a look at this and will indeed provide my wife with something like this. Access my info will still require that she access software on my laptop that she is unfamiliar with. Now, at the end of the day, this is the case if I'm no longer here, but since providing the list is a feel good thing for her anyway I'd rather have it on paper.

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    Options

What? 'print didn't make it into this release'? Good grief! what kind of priorities do you have there at AB these days. I upgraded to 4 based on a track record of trust. This release has ruined it in many ways. No reply to customer support email in a week, lots of features removed that I really liked, no highlight of what was removed to let users decide if they wanted to upgrade, check these forums the list goes on.
    This upgrade was really not ready for release and mishandled imho.
    PLEASE bring back print capability or some other functionality to support data portability or backup outside proprietary software. ASAP. Not, 'we're working on it as a high priority', but 'by the end of Autumn'....

• SeanK
    SeanK
    Community Member
    Options

So far I really like 1Password 4, but I do want to add another vote to make printing a high priority. I keep a physical hardcopy for family to have the essential passwords. Please do make printing a feature in the very next update release! Thanks for all the great work you guys do!

• 1PasswordDependent
    1PasswordDependent
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

It's weird, I asked for this function, 6 months ago. In fact, I did it in another agile bits discussion - however my request similarly went unheeded. For the life of me, I can't figure out why.

As a rule of thumb if one consumer is asking for a certain function - there are others behind that person with the same need.

I am a loyal 1Password customer - and it makes me a bit sad that my logical and reasonable customer need has not been addressed.

Roustem did not even answer my question as to what I should do now - while I wait for a way to make a hard copy. I am not trying to cause a stir. I really like 1Password - and I keep up with the software.

I am a bit stymied why I still don't get any help in these area. Can't figure out the logic behind it. It would seem like an easy function to program.

• Nate8684
    Nate8684
    Community Member
    Options

I am relieved as well to see that this is at least on the development schedule. This feature is a make it or break it feature for me as well.

What troubles me about this all, is that you guys didn't have this in the first release of version 4. When I purchased the 4th version, my assumption was that it would include all of the features of version 3, but instead I actually took a step backward. Buying a new version should be an upgrade, I shouldn't have to wait for your team to get around to updating the software to give me the same functionality the previous version gave me. I have to say, this makes me lose a bit of faith in the development team there at agile.

I would hope that this update is coming soon and on the docket for release as soon as possible.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@Nate8684—

As a very active participant in the beta forum, I can assure you that the points you make have been made, repeatedly, over the last few months. AgileBits had to release version 4.0 ahead of Mavericks, and had to prioritize resources as best it could. From where I sit, the company listens, it is responsive, and I have every confidence that it will come through in the end.

That said, I definitely feel your pain, and I don’t think I could have beta tested 4.0 were it not for the fact that I could still fire up 3.9 (and 3.5) when necessary in order to cope with the deficits in 4.0.

@billj—

IMO it is too soon to judge 1Password 4. I agree that 1Password 4.0 falls short, but backward compatibility with 1P3.x saves the day, and the need to fire up 1P/3 has steadily declined throughout the beta period. I’m confident that most if not all of the issues will be addressed by the time 1Password 4.1 rolls around. But keep complaining—the squeaky wheels influence where the grease gun gets aimed next!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidn, @SeanK, and @1PasswordDependent,

Thanks for checking in on us (and for the kind words of support, @SeanK!) I'd also like to apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

We do realize that there are many people who would like to see this feature implemented again, and it is on our to-do list. While I can't give you a timeline on completion, I can promise you that we're all putting in extra hours to ensure that we address all users' concerns just as soon as possible.

@1PasswordDependent, I suggest that while you are waiting for the print feature to be implemented, you might want to check out @Stephen_C's suggestion above. The 1Password Emergency Kit does have some really good advice.

If you do have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask!

• Hi guys,

As benfdc shared his experience, I can assure you that printing is coming.

1Password 4 is brand new from the ground up, we didn't remove anything from 1Password 3, we just hadn't had the time to restore all of the features just yet. We don't want to just borrow/reuse code from 1Password 3, we want to build a better implementation of the said feature in 1Password 4.

Printing is coming in a future update, definitely. AG has always believed in data libration and we hate the whole idea of vendor lock-in and want to do everything we can to prevent that with 1Password.

Along with printing, we'll be adding more more import/export modules over time. We already added CSV import for SplashID and LastPass in the last update.

Stay tuned.

• daman
    daman
    Community Member
    Options

You guys are great and I recommend this to all of my clients. But the printing feature is extremely important to my business as this is how I give all the passwords collected from my clients as a backup so they can put in their safe. This is not cool. I just discovered this is not a "basic" feature. I will continue always using this product even though Apple is moving into your territory by adding certain features to 10.9. I hope this is on the top of your To-Do list. Thanks everyone and keep up the great work.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @daman,

Thanks for the kind words and honest feedback. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts on to our developers. I can promise you they're working hard to get this feature implemented for you all.

• SoThere
    SoThere
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, techies:

I must agree with daman and reinforce his well stated post, though I'd call printing an essential operation rather than a feature. I too am a long-time 1P user and am astounded by the omission of printing. I could see this in a beta but it's extremely disappointing in a released product. As a backup, we regularly print our 1P files for storage in the safe. With 1P4, if our tech goes down or if there's a 1P or Dropbox software glitch, we have a major problem.

I hope that restoring this feature is at the top of your priorities and that it will be a matter of days, not weeks or months.

Thanks for your expertise and for prioritizing this critical function.

Rich

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for also candidly expressing why it's important to you for 1P4 to support printing, @SoThere.

• 1PasswordDependent
    1PasswordDependent
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Any word on the progress of the hard copy print function? The ability to print a concise summary would be wonderful. I think there is more then enough of a consensus from loyal users who really want this feature.

Any updates on this request would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure how to print out ALL my 1Password entries to my printer or to a PDF file, etc.
    When I try EXPORT the only type file option is .PIF.
    There are no other choices when I click on the drop down list for type of export.
    Can you point me in the right direction please?
    TIA,
    John

• SoThere
    SoThere
    Community Member
    Options

Any ETA on printing yet?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As stated in known issues:

Printing is currently unavailable.

If you (still) have 1P3 you could use folder sync in 1P4 to get your items into 1P3 and then print from there.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

I've merged a couple related topics about printing support for 1Password 4. I'm sorry that we don't have any news yet for you about when it will be available.

• OceanCity123
    OceanCity123
    Community Member
    Options

hhhhhhhmmmm…… hard to believe we don't have the simple capability to just print, but I know there must be greater priorities and trust you will get to this at some point.
    Thank you,
    John

p.s. Thank you Xe997 Stephen for your speedy replies

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Printing support for 1P4 is coming, @OceanCity123. :)

In the meantime the workaround of printing with 1Password 3 that @MikeT posted earlier is still possible for anyone who's able to use that.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

If you (still) have 1P3 you could use folder sync in 1P4 to get your items into 1P3 and then print from there.

And if you don’t (still) have 1P3 just grab a copy over here!

• Stacey
    Stacey
    Community Member
    Options

What a disappointment. Releasing 1password 4 without the basic function as a print feature. and missing other categories such as hardware serial numbers. Then continue with 6 plus weeks of sorry we're working on it. AB - you let us down on this release. - maybe you released it too early.

• 1PasswordDependent
    Options

If I am not wrong - printing with 1Password3 allows one page per password. I still have a stack of over a hundred and sixty pages (1 password per page) in my safe deposit box of mostly outdated passwords. This is inelegant architecture.

Unfortunately, though I have been a loyal Agile Bits customer for several years and love 1Password, I will have to move on, unless a concise password summary printing feature becomes available.

So as not to send you guys a dear john letter prematurely, please provide a timeline regarding the addition of the print feature and what it will entail. Can we expect multiple passwords on a page in a concise summary? Or will it again be one page per password?

Thank you in advance for the progress update and details.

This discussion has been closed.