Attachments Lost During Dropbox Sync [Confirmed, will fix ASAP]

Options
andrewkendall
andrewkendall
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

There seems to be quite a nasty bug in 1Password 4 which deletes attachments when syncing via Dropbox.

I've made a movie to demonstrate: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1043974/Movies/1Password 4 (400200) Attachments Bug.mp4.zip

Is that happening to everyone else?

Comments

• iam1080
    iam1080
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing here. I had to uninstall v4 and revert back to 3.x to restore attachments.

• Hi @andrewkendall,

Thanks for the video, I can reproduce the issue. We'll get this fixed as soon as possible.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

In the meantime can you allow everyone who wants to to download and downgrade to 1PW3? Please post a link and simple instructions. Have no time for all the troubleshooting and messing around – thought I'd fixed everything after a terrible upgrade but it is proving to be totally unreliable. Please allow us a simple path back and let us know when 4.1 is ready and all these issues are fixed. 20,000 beta testers?

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

I'm desperately looking for a way to downgrade to 1P3 because I have been suffering from this issue and loss of other data in 1P4. Can you please assist?

• Hi guys,

I apologize about this. Please email us at support+urgent@agilebits.com and we'll explain how to handle this.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Sent. Thanks.

• Thank you very much for the video. I am very sorry about this bug, I am not sure how we missed it.

We published 1Password 4.0.2 on our website a few minutes ago. A new version is also submitted for Mac App Store review.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

...and herein lies an interesting test - how long Apple will make us 1pw MAS users wait for this critical bug fix!

Hopefully, our attachments are not truly gone, but simply have become disconnected momentarily. I also hope this update fixes the issue whereby attachments which have been open in Preview are easily reopened from the Preview Recents menu even if 1pw4 is locked/quit until 1pw4 is both quit and subsequently relaunched.

• roustem
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am very sorry, @oshloel! Unfortunately, the attachments deleted by this bug could not be recovered from the existing database. Please restore your data from the backup file.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi roustem, I presume you meant "can not" or "could not" be recovered from the existing DB rather than could be recovered. Even so, I noticed that the attachments generally seem to have survived the dropbox sync and are viewable in the iOS version of 1pw. As such, perhaps they will sync back to the updated 1pw4 MAS (once it is out) if I make a minor change on the iOS side to force a sync back the other direction.

• Thank you for catching the typo!

That might work. Another option could be to enable the Documents syncing on iOS and the copy the new 1Password.agilekeychain from iTunes.

Still, restoring from a backup might be the easiest solution.

• cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I had paid for the App Store version of 3, so as to get 4 at no charge when it comes out. I lost some attachments either in the upgrade or due to the dropbox syncing problem. So I'm temporarily switching to the web version. I just downloaded the website version of the app, and it says it is 4.0.1 and not 4.0.2. I did export a .1PIF file before upgrading, I just want to get my attachments back.

The 4.0.1 version is timestamped October 3, and roustem said 4.0.2 was available on October 7. But where is it?

[Later] Never mind. When you install 4.0.1 it offers to update itself to 4.0.2. That was not made clear in any of the forum posts about this. I will leave this post here in case it helps someone else.

• golfsierra
    golfsierra
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi,
    as I also lost my attachments I tried the following: Downloaded 4.0.1 from your website, updated it to 4.0.2 and then restored an old backup from January where the attachments definitely were present. But even with this setup I can't see them anymore?
    HELP! there are some attachments where I do not have the originals anymore and which I need urgently!!!
    But what can I do now if they are even missing in the old backups?

Thanks for fast answer

P.S. and what I also DISLIKE: the very long time it takes until updates are available on the MAS. I always preferred the website-versions because (bug-solving) updates vere available immediately. You said in the past that version 4 will be MAS ONLY. That's why we bought several 3.9 on MAS even I already bought a version 3 family-licence. Now there would be a CHEAPER possibility to upgrade to a version 4 family-licence ... thats nuts!

• golfsierra
    golfsierra
    Community Member
    Options

as Dropbox sync (as we already know) deletes attachments I today realized that also Wi-Fi sync does NOT add attachments to the iOS version! (I am using 4.3/4.0.3)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, golfsierra.

Please check your Messages inbox for followup about your attachments issue. Thanks!

• 2robo2
    2robo2
    Community Member
    Options

REALLY not happy about this. I'm a long time 1Password customer on OS X and iOS, using Dropbox sync, and recently upgraded to version 4. I've already had to revert to an older database backup on two Macs due to the v4 application crashing on launch with its latest database, and now while filling out immigration forms this evening I discovered that all the attachments to my Identity (marriage certificate scan, e-signatures, other documents) are gone. I can revert to a backup database but then I have to figure out what new accounts have been added since then. Perhaps worse, I honestly can't remember every attachment I may have added over the years among ~360 entries... I don't know what I've lost!

1Password on iOS (version 4.3) is also acting up - the identity that lost the attachments seems to still have them when viewed with the iOS app, but is hanging when I try to move it, and also seems to be having trouble syncing with Dropbox...

Big disappointment for an expensive upgrade after such a reliable experience with the previous versions. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @2robo2,

I am really sorry to hear about the difficulty you have had during the upgrade to 1Password 4! I do hope that you had some luck restoring from a backup.

Regarding the trouble you are having with syncing in the iOS app, I just wanted to let you know that our developers have tracked down the cause of the Dropbox sync error and a fix version has been submitted to the App Store for approval. It will be released as soon as it is approved. Thank you so much for your patience. If you do have any further difficulties in the meantime, please let us know, we'd be happy to help!

• golfsierra
    golfsierra
    Community Member
    Options

using now Mac 4.0.9 and iOS 4.3.1 ... Dropbox-sync seems to work for me now reliabel as it should. My attachments from the Mac-version are visible on my iOS-devices too ... however I now use iCloud sync which now works okay for me too ...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @golfsierra,

Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out - I'm glad to hear that both Dropbox and iCloud are behaving for you! If you have further questions, you know where to find us :)

This discussion has been closed.