Missing items after updating MAS version to 4

Options
Niklas
Niklas
Community Member

I am currently experiencing a slight case of the panic. Yesterday evening I was extremely happy to see MAS version 4 of your awesome app available for download. I installed and everything seemed to go fine. The more I look the more items seem to be missing. I have currently disabled syncing with my iPad so that I at least can slowly re-type the passwords on my computer.

Today when trying to log in to some sites I notice that some items are missing from my database.

How do I restore the old version of the app and the old vault/library?

Comments

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having an extreme case of panic here. I'm missing loads of data, mainly from secure notes. Including something I need NOW.

I have loads of 1P3 backups but cannot get it to restore from one. The old backups have 480+ items but 1P4 only has about 340.

This is very, very worrying and not the way I chose to spend my Friday night. Can we have some help please?

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Discovered a few additional missing items. Why is this happening?

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

slight case of the panic is now a major case of the panic! Please help me get my 1Password 3 database and app back!

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

I found a post that enabled me to do get the database back: It is far from straight forward but seems to have worked, at least most of the missing data seems to have been reinstated. Make sure you back up your backup first and I take no responsibility for the outcome – it really is the blind leading the blind on this issue.

1) http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16363/how-to-use-agilekeychain-zip-backups-from-1password-3-in-1password-4#latest

I spent 6 hours last night trying to get my data back and get all my devices syncing (thats another story). Really am not a happy bunny.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!
    I followed those instructions and in total I found over forty missing items in the 1P4 database. It's a bit scary though because I don't know if that was a one-time deletion/purge of some items at the moment the update was installed or if it is some run-time thing that might trigger again.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

So, now that I am finished manually restoring the lost passwords I can give you a number:

44, about 10%, of my items from the 1Password database got deleted in the update.
    Five out of five folders were deleted in the update.

Hope none else have go go through the same thing.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

I did. Think I'm back up and running but not 100% sure I haven't lost something somewhere. Time will tell and it's bound to be at the most inconvenient moment. This program is way too complicated for a 1 click MAS upgrade. Problems everywhere you look. Perhaps should be website only release so as not to give people the impression it's straight forward. Point of MAS is simplicity and this is anything but.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys, I'm truly sorry you've had these problems with items missing after upgrading and apologize for not responding sooner. As you might imagine we're quite busy around here right now.

Thanks, @RDH, for referring to my post about opening a 1P3 keychain backup file in a new 1P4 vault. I'm glad that was useful for both of you. Did you have any issues following it? Did you use Item > Share > Primary to copy missing items to the Primary 1P4 vault from the 1P3 backup vault? Any feedback you have would be appreciated; thanks.

Even if rare it's a rare occurrence we'd like to have clear instructions for recovering data from 1P3 backups by using 1P4 for cases, like yours, when it's necessary.

Again, I'm sorry for how much time and trouble this has caused you.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

Once I'd worked out how to unzip and import to a new vault I was completely stumped as to how to move into primary vault. Took an awful lot of messing around and several attempts before I gave up and tried a different method. I unzipped the old archive as you suggest but then I delete all the one password preferences etc and replaced the 1P4 keychain with the the older 1P3 Keychain that I'd just unzipped. Finally managed to launch 1Password as if I were a new user and navigate to the old file. There was a post I found about this but can't find it now.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

I still maintain that this App is not suitable for the MAS as the notion with this is simplicity and convenience but it has proved to be nothing but.

I took the plunge and moved over from a licensed website version to MAS a couple of years ago, as I did with other software that I had licenses for thinking that in future it would make sense to have easy access to all my software when I needed a clean install.

I have since watched other developers of some of the 'deeper' software (MailSteward being a good example) cease to publish to MAS on grounds of limitations/sandboxing etc making my attempts to pull everything together futile. Very frustrating but I appreciate why. I cannot function without you app and use it numerous times per day and wish you all the best, but as an experienced user I dread to think the trouble novices may run into and the bad publicity that you may receive as a result. Looking through this forum it is clear that there are many issues with this update and it certainly isn't a 1 click MAS solution. Food for thought.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Friday was a security and tech day from hell. Woke up to an email from Adobe that they may have been hacked so hard to scramble to update passwords.

Came home in the evening and went to update by iMac (the final of 4 devices) to 1Password and whilst doing so had realisation that none of my nor my partner's iMessages that we had sent that day had been received.

Followed a support article on how to reset network settings on our iPhones. Went to the newly updated 1Password to retrieve my home WiFi password for both iPhones and the note was blank! You can imagine the frustration. The icing on the cake!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Finding a way to move items between vaults was non-intuitive. I couldn't find a way to even view two vaults at the same time (maybe impossible?).

I ended up following those instructions, when switching to the vault of the old backup I exported it (the entire vault), then switched to the vault with lost items and imported older vault. This resulted in a large number of duplicates (better to have some duplicates than missing items). I then manually deleted all duplicates I found (do not trust 1P4 to do anything automatically at the moment) all while keeping my iPad open as a reference for comparison.

I am leaving syncing disabled for the future on the iPad in the case 1P4 will lose items again until this issue has been identified and resolved.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

F***!

I just saw this thread: Attachments in 1PW4 (Mac, non-MAS versions) missing!!! and realised that I forgot to check for attachments… And now I can see that I have attachments missing, even after the import/restore I did previously!

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

So what's the official response to this? Very little so far...

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like the gift that keeps giving!

I know some of my attachments are there but god knows if they all are! Guess I'll find out at some point in the future when I need some important info and it's missing.

Better and better

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

I came here, because for me tons of info was missing (custom fields I've added manually). Those are essential to me. Not sure how to retrieve those.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

OK. I've just found a Membership item that has the attachment on one Mac but not on the other. These files are Synced via Dropbox and changes seem to be syncing OK.

I just want to scream at this stage! When one adds an attachment 1Password gives gives a message that one can 'Safely delete the original'. This is not true.

I've also found I unable to add an attachment to a note in 1PW4.

This is dreadful!

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Options

Pls ignore my ramblings. I just understood all that info is to be found under "Webform details". Excuse the noise. All good on my side.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk

How do I downgrade my Mac App Store to version 3? I do not trust the data integrity of 1Password 4.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

Would like to have the option to do the same. Seeing inconsistencies and syncing oddities. Don't want to carry on using this and adding new data only to find its leaking old data as I will then be stuck between 2 stools with my old 1P3 backup (which is only a few days old and should be reasonably up to date) and any future incomplete 1P4 backup.

Agilebits are being very quiet on all these issues! I even had a self congratulating email from them yesterday despite all this. I am beginning to despair.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hello again!

After the recent release of 1P4 for Mac we've had thousands of users upgrading, asking questions, and reporting issues. We appreciate your patience while we're working around the clock to help everyone.

In many cases missing data problems have been caused by incorrect keychains being selected during the upgrade process. The data isn't lost even if it appears to be gone so it's best not to panic.

Let's see if we can gather more information using the new 1Password 4 diagnostics tool. It may help us get to the bottom this for specific cases reported here.

First, download this tool: http://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1Password4Troubleshooting.zip

Then unzip it and launch. Once running, click the Create Report… button and let it finish. When it finishes ignore the Create New Mail Message… button and instead do this (before or after quitting the 1Password Troubleshooting app):

• Open a Finder window
    • Select Go > Go to Folder… from the menubar
    • Paste the following:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Diagnostics

• Click Go

You should see a folder and a zip file. Please email that zip file to support+urgent@agilebits.com (and only use that address for immediate issues or it'll delay everyone getting the help they need). Then reply here that you've sent it and we'll look for the report, take a look, and get back to you (likely via email) as quickly as we can. If we find a solution we'll post it here.

Thank you!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk
    Email sent. FYI I never selected any keychain during the upgrade process, Mac App Store did that automatically.

• melorama
    melorama
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic zipfile sent.

Like Niklas, I didnt choose a different keychain when i upgraded to 4. It detected and used the same agilekeychain file in my Dropbox folder that always worked with v3

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member
    Options

Me neither.Just picked it up. I don't think sending you diagnostics at this stage would be much use as I have installed/uninstalled/restored/tried work arounds listed here. Just want to safely downgrade while my 1P3 keychain is still current. Don't want to add or edit anything on my 1P4 keychain until all these issues are fixed and I can safely upgrade again.

• Jabberwock
    Jabberwock
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent my diagnostics zip file.

• @Niklas,

Do you remember where 1Password 3 stored its agilekeychain? Did you use Dropbox syncing?

Also, can you post the screenshot of your 1Password > Preferences > Sync window:

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

a) I never kept that location in my memory. I followed RDH's link above to restore.
    b) Yes, but I disabled it on my iPad because I do not trust the data integrity in 1P4. That means I at least have one place with all my stuff.
    c) Sure. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7561159/1Password-sync-screen.png

• Thank you for the screenshot, @Niklas.

It seems that 1Password picked the location in the ~/Library/Containers folder that was originally created by 1Password 3. For some reason, it did not select the Dropbox location that you are probably using to sync with iPad.

Please try the following:

1. Unlock 1Password
    2. Select 1Password > Preferences > Sync
    3. Click Change Syncing, Disable Sync
    4. Click Dropbox and select the location in Dropbox.

After that 1Password will be using the correct location and it should find the items that you considered missing.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

Thank you!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem

Still missing every single attachment.

I think I managed to recover all missing items by manually comparing ever single one. No new items were added to my library now by following your steps. I don't know if it would have helped salvage before my manual transfer.

This discussion has been closed.