How to uninstall 1Password 3 when installing 4?

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

I thought I followed the instructions carefully when I installed 1 Password 4 (OS X 10.8.5), but I just noticed that 1Password 3 is still installed. What should I do now?

Thank you,

David

Comments

• SoThere
    SoThere
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem, same question. On my MacBook Pro laptop, I backed up my 1P 3 data to a pdf file and dragged 1P3 from the Applications folder to the trash. Shortly thereafter, a dialog box indicated an error and noted that it had sent info to AgileBits. My 1P 4 seems to work fine, and all data seems present. I've left my 1P3 installation on my iMac, awaiting your advice.

Thankee,

RJ

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Bump.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

My 1PW3 was from Agile's web site, while 1PW4 was from the MAS. I guess this is why 1PW3 remains in my Applications folder, while 1PW4 live in a folder named 1Password inside the Applications folder.

Presumably I can delete 1PW3 and move 1PW4 out of the subfolder.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

danco wrote:

My 1PW3 was from Agile's web site, while 1PW4 was from the MAS. I guess this is why 1PW3 remains in my Applications folder, while 1PW4 live in a folder named 1Password inside the Applications folder.

For what it's worth, my 1P 3 and 4 are both from the AgileBits website and both are in my Applications folder.

• glwilson
    glwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Same here as danco ... I'm hesitant to use the uninstaller because I might lose my data ... sure need a tech response here!

• dma550
    dma550
    Community Member
    Options

I agree, not sure the uninstaller isn't going to make a mess of my 1p4 which is working. Some Agilebits clarifiaction would be great (web site 3.8->4.0 upgrade)

Thanks

• gah650
    gah650
    Community Member
    Options

bump - same deal - bought both from agile's site, now have 1password AND 1password4 in my applications folder. hesitant to delete the old version.

George

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

I've run the uninstaller with no impact on 1pw4. It has a couple options you can select or not and it doesn't seem to snag everything; particularly, if you were running the App Store version of 1pw3. Many of its files are in ~/Library/Containers rather than ~/Library/Application Support.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

bump - same deal - bought both from agile's site, now have 1password AND 1password4 in my applications folder. hesitant to delete the old version.

Yes--I am puzzled why this has still not been answered by AgileBits on this forum.

MikeT? Anyone?

• BrianWest
    BrianWest
    Community Member
    Options

Hello? Is anybody gonna answer this? Seems like a very basic question to me. I'm scared to use App Zapper because I see it's including some 1Password 4 files in the list of suggested files to remove.

• rdforbes
    rdforbes
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like to have a response on the proper way to move from 1Password 3 (purchased from AgileBits) to 1Password 4 (purchased from MAS).

• big77
    big77
    Community Member
    Options

All I did was update the plugins from V3 to V4. My 1password 3 app still remains (renamed to 1password3) and opens just fine as well. It doesn't seem to interfere with 1password4.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

BrianWest wrote:

Hello? Is anybody gonna answer this?

I just sent a PM to MikeT and hope to learn the answer.

• punkingee
    punkingee
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem.

• switters
    switters
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem.

• pmercu
    pmercu
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem !!!!

• richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here...plus the same question's been asked on a number of other threads...with no response.

Both 1PW3 and 1PW4 are having problems for me now. :(

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Same problem. Not sure it matters, but bought 1PW3 on the web and 1PW4 from the App Store.

• tricca
    tricca
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. Want to remove 1password 3, but I don't know how. Please let us know!

• DrRemedy
    DrRemedy
    Community Member
    Options

bump

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Same here. I did not use MAS, so this is not the issue.

I usually use App Zapper to remove apps to get rid of other files an app creates (instead of just moving the app to the trash and be left with lots of the app files else where on the system - awful uninstall process on macs). But using this process highlights 1Password 4 app and other files, it does not just select 1 Password 3.

So we need to know exactly what files to remove to completely remove 1 Password 3 from our Macs, but leave 1 Password 4 of course.

Perhaps we need to completely uninstall both after a database backup, reinstall and connect to the database? I am scared to try without official help in case I lose data.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

I found this which answers the question regarding the browser extensions, but not the app itself:

learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/v3-extensions.html

• I'm looking for answers to the same question: I bought 1PW3 from AgileBits website and 1PW4 from the MAS and want to delete 1PW3 but am afraid to delete needed files.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

I came across another thread where a 1Password rep indicated that version 3 and 4 are intended to coexist without problems, and in fact if you experience an issue with 1P4 it's fine to go back to 1P3.

The implication that I took from that is the good folks at Agile Bits are waiting for 1P4 to stabilize before a) posting instructions on how to remove 1P3, and b) automatically removing 1P3 as part of the 1P4 installation process.

Therefore, follow the link I posted above to remove the old browser extensions (which are incompatible with 1P4), and otherwise, relax and enjoy 1P4 and forget about uninstalling 1P3 for a while. That's my plan.

• dma550
    dma550
    Community Member
    Options

Bump! Yes, support please answer and sticky. This is being asked in about 3 other new threads.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

EnerJi wrote:

I came across another thread where a 1Password rep indicated that version 3 and 4 are intended to coexist without problems, and in fact if you experience an issue with 1P4 it's fine to go back to 1P3.

The implication that I took from that is the good folks at Agile Bits are waiting for 1P4 to stabilize before a) posting instructions on how to remove 1P3, and b) automatically removing 1P3 as part of the 1P4 installation process.

Therefore, follow the link I posted above to remove the old browser extensions (which are incompatible with 1P4), and otherwise, relax and enjoy 1P4 and forget about uninstalling 1P3 for a while. That's my plan.

Could you please post a link to the thread about reverting back to 1P 3 you mention? (If I had it to do over again I would have waited to upgrade and would probably revert back now if I were assured there were no complications.)

As far as what AgileBits is implying, you may be right, but if so, it would be helpful to all of us if AgileBits could just answer the basic question. This is the first software I can remember using that doesn't either automatically uninstall the previous version or tell you how to uninstall it. For many applications I would not be so concerned, but this one involves security issues.

The silence of AgileBits on this topic is disconcerting.

• cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded to MAS version 4 today. I would like to go back to version 3 until the losing-attachments-problem is fixed, but in my case the upgrade did delete my version 3. I guess I will look for it in time machine and hope no vital pieces-parts also got deleted

• katec
    katec
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue....download 1P4 from agilebits.com and was using it fine. Later on I noticed that 1P3 was still in my apps folder, so I opened App Cleaner to uninstall 1P3; I deleted/uninstalled and went back to 1P4 and all me data was gone. I had to go into my trash and "put back" all the 1P files that were in there. Now all my logins are back in 1P4 again....what a pain for us customers who have to PAY to upgrade an app we already purchased. Not very professional if you ask me.....no response from agile still?

• noonchai
    noonchai
    Community Member
    Options

I emailed their support about this and got this answer in reply:

"We highly recommend against using a utility like AppZapper on 1Password as it may also delete all of your data. All that needs to be removed is the v3 .app file in your Applications folder and the v3 browser extension in any web browsers you have it installed in."

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

noonchai wrote:

I emailed their support about this and got this answer in reply:

"We highly recommend against using a utility like AppZapper on 1Password as it may also delete all of your data. All that needs to be removed is the v3 .app file in your Applications folder and the v3 browser extension in any web browsers you have it installed in."

Thank you very much for posting this--at last an answer, albeit received indirectly.

Are you using the AgileBits or Mac App Store version?

This discussion has been closed.