"The 1Password 4 browser extension is not compatible with Windows."

Options
ryansebiz
ryansebiz
Community Member
edited October 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hey ya'll - great job on 1Password 4 for Mac. Really enjoying it so far.

When I got to work today I ran into an unexpected issue you're probably already aware of. In the event you're not, here's my explanation.

I'm running 1Password 4 on my Mac (10.8.5) at home and 1Password Windows (1.0.9.335) on my PC (Windows 7) at work. My primary browser is Chrome (29.0.1547.76).

When I upgraded my Mac to 1Password 4 this weekend I ran through the steps it prompted me for to remove version 3 of the Chrome extension and install version 4.

I arrived at work, upgraded 1Password Windows, and now it's displaying this message:

"The 1Password 4 browser extension is not compatible with Windows."

When I click OK the message goes away. Unfortunately it comes back around 30 seconds later which is, as I'm sure you understand, slightly annoying.

I hope this feedback helps and look forward to hearing back from you about this interesting functionality :)

Here's a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/8jBWl1I,MLAHF1n

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryansebiz please follow the steps in your screen shot

• ryansebiz
    ryansebiz
    Community Member
    Options

The problem with these steps is that, if I follow them, when I get home I'll get prompted to install the version 4 Chrome extension on my Mac. And then I'll return to work tomorrow to the same error message on my PC.

Does that make sense?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryansebiz If you follow these steps then Chrome will stop syncing your extensions. From here on, you can install the version 4 extension on your Mac and the version 3 extension on Windows.

• David Grossman
    David Grossman
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this issue. This seems to be a bug. Is there an update coming?

• David Grossman
    David Grossman
    Community Member
    Options

Stefan, where are these steps you refer to?

• ryansebiz
    ryansebiz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stefan - that worked for me.

David - basically just disable Extension syncing in Chrome and delete the 1P 4 extension in Windows.

• Jerome_
    Jerome_
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, first I love 1Password... BUT

Please fix this issue. A 'solution' that requires us to disable a feature and negatively affect our computing experience outside of your app, across platforms, across all our machines is not the kind of experience agilebits is know for!

• DanielHill
    DanielHill
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

So ... I made the mistake of updating 1Password on Windows, and now I get this STUPID popup coming up at regular intervals, that pops up over everything, stealing focus and making work virtually impossible. Disabling Chrome Sync is about as much of a solution as cutting off my hand is.

Whose bright idea was this? Why was a new extension even needed? Have you guys heard of the IF statement?

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

Nothing but contempt for multi platform users who need to actually use Windows.

ETA: if you are unfortunate enough to have updated 1Password, you can roll back to a version pre-stupidity by downloading this: http://aws.cachefly.net/dist/1P/win/1Password-1.0.9.333.exe

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Stefan, where are these steps you refer to?

Disable Chrome Sync for your extensions:

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click on the wrench icon, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar.
    3. Click on "Settings".
    4. If you see a "Sign in to Chrome" button, then Chrome Sync is already disabled.
    5. Click on "Advanced Sync Settings".
    6. In the "Advanced Sync Settings" pop-up window, select the drop down menu and select "Choose What To Sync".
    7. Uncheck "Extensions".
    8. Click on "OK".

Now remove the 1Password 4 extension from your web browser:

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click on the wrench icon, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar.
    3. Click on "Tools > Extensions".
    4. Click on the trash can icon by 1Password 4.
    5. A confirmation dialog appears. Click on "Remove".
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Disabling Chrome Sync is about as much of a solution as cutting off my hand is.

I happen to know somebody who lost his hand in a motorcycle accident. You have no idea.

Anyway, you can disable Chrome Sync for your extensions ONLY. There is no need to disable Chrome Sync altogether.

This is a temporary workaround. Eventually, the 1Password extension will be identical for Mac and Windows.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Have you guys heard of the IF statement? If you are unfortunate enough to have updated 1Password, you can roll back to a version pre-stupidity by downloading this: [REDACTED]

This is not going to solve the problem. The problem is with Chrome syncing a Mac-only extension to Windows. When Chrome Sync is turned on, I'm afraid there is no IF statement that can prevent this from happening.

• fonebone
    fonebone
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is with Chrome syncing a Mac-only extension to Windows.

I guess the question is - Why would 1Password create a Mac-only extension for Chrome? Chrome is not a Mac-only web browser and due to the bookmark sync to every OS and device, the Google Voice Search, the ability to completely uninstall Adobe Flash, and the better Java sandbox security, Chrome has moved to number 1 on all of my machines, and I install it on every computer that comes through my repair shop.

In December of 2010 I paid $50 for a pre app store version of 1Password 3 for the Mac, then a year or two later I paid another $50 for the app store version because the earlier versions of 1Password were not going to be updated to version 4 by the company web site. In order to get version 4 (and also the ability to run the program on multiple Mac's) I would have to have the app store version 3.9 and the free upgrade to the new version when it came out. Which finally happened.

Back in May this year, I paid another $50 for the windows version of 1Password. Everything was working well, with Chrome on 3 Mac's and a Windows 7 PC, and I'm also using an iPad, and iPhone (both have Chrome installed so that I can sync my bookmarks with all devices, including any Android devices I may add in the future).

Is the bottom line that 1Password is going to interfere with Google Sync? At this time, it's not just incompatible, it's actually causing endless warnings on my Windows computer when I run Chrome. I think I can fix this problem by paying for a system that charges $1 per month for a premium account but since I've been using (and recommending) 1Password for 3 years without too many problems I'd rather see the company just fix this bonehead issue.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Why would 1Password create a Mac-only extension for Chrome?

We're working around the clock trying to bring the new 1Password extension to Windows.

Chrome has moved to number 1 on all of my machines, and I install it on every computer that comes through my repair shop.

Righteous so. Unfortunately, we cannot prevent Chrome Sync from installing the new 1Password extension on Windows because there is no OS_TARGET attribute for Chrome extensions. That is why we ask you to disable Chrome Sync for your extensions.

Is the bottom line that 1Password is going to interfere with Google Sync?

It is the other way around. Chrome Sync is interfering with 1Password. We have a v4 extension on Mac, and a v3 extension on Windows. Without Chrome Sync, there is no problem. Unfortunately, Chrome is syncing the v4 extension to Windows. Please disable Chrome Sync for your extensions, and everything should be OK.

This is a temporary workaround.

• felciano
    felciano
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all --

I've been running an extension called Context that I believe provides a workaround. It allows you to keep synching extensions but selectively turn them on/off in different context. In this case I created a new context called "PC at work" and removed the 1Password extension. That appears to have solved the problem: I am still synching Chrome extensions btw Mac and PC but the PC appears to be ignoring the 1Password extension (at least the annoying dialog boxes aren't showing up).

More at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/context/aalnjolghjkkogicompabhhbbkljnlka?hl=en

HTH,

Ramon

• Dan Ridley Hallock
    Dan Ridley Hallock
    Community Member
    Options

It'd be nice if the extension could alert the user once and then be quiet. I'd be fine living without a functional 1Password extension in Windows, which is definitely a secondary environment for me, but disabling extension sync would be a pain (I use a lot of extensions and change them fairly frequently). A minor update with an “I get it, it won't work” option would be nice, if full Windows support for the new extension is going to be a while in coming. For the moment, I'm just unchecking the extension in Chrome's Manage Extensions interface when I'm browsing on Windows, and re-checking it when I'm back on my Mac.

(Context looks promising too. Thanks for the pointer, Ramon.)

• bjoarn
    bjoarn
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I had the same kind of problem, just with my older macbook which cannot upgrade beyond snow leopard. With 1password 3 on my older macbook and 1password 4 on my newer macbook pro, the chrome sync of extensions is frustrating. And as I read it, the windows extension will eventually be solved, but how about the situation with older macs? I, as others is this thread, would prefer not to disable chrome sync of extensions.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It'd be nice if the extension could alert the user once and then be quiet.

Good point. I have changed this in 1.0.9.337

• foxphire
    foxphire
    Community Member
    Options

I've been running an extension called Context that I believe provides a workaround. It allows you to keep synching extensions but selectively turn them on/off in different context.

Thank you for this. This is a great workaround that does not require me to disable my Chrome application sync (which, as others have pointed out is really NOT a solution as I have many many extensions running across many many machines and cannot be bothered to run them manually because of a single app). Prior to that, I had created a second user in my Chrome and used the two different accounts in different places, which might be another workaround that someone may want to look int.

That said, I wish that I had received a warning prior to updating to v4 that I would no longer have Chrome sync between v3 and v4 until a v4 for Windows was released, a projected timeline for a Windows release, and an option to roll back to Mac v3. I purchased (not one, but two versions of) 1password to simplify my life, not make me do web sync gymnastics for a week and a half. While I will continue to use the product, I will let you know that you have tarnished your reputation in my eyes with this annoyance. I feel like this thread has really brushed this off as not a big deal, but this is a very impactful change that could have been mitigated against much more professionally.

• kaz911
    kaz911
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I will say this is an embarrassing "bug" that should never have happened. I have NO other extension that has ever had this issue.

Please fix this issue as soon as possible.

• Corrin Lakeland
    Corrin Lakeland
    Community Member
    Options

I'm pretty grumpy about this too. If the v4 extension code doesn't work on a windows computer then surely you could have included the v3 extension code inside v4 and swap between v3 and v4 based on the platform.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, all.

Please don't think the lack of response means we don't hear you—we do. We know the current situation is less than ideal, and we're working around the clock to get a valid solution out to you, which (in this case) means getting version 4 of 1Password for Windows ready for prime time.

We really are sorry for the temporary inconvenience, and we really do appreciate your patience and support.

Thanks so much for hanging in there!

• Azzola
    Azzola
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! any news?!

• TimHobbs
    TimHobbs
    Community Member
    Options

'Working around the clock' doesn't seem to be achieving very much. The reason I bought 1Password is that it claimed to be (and was) multi-platform and worked across all my devices. Now I'm having to mess about crippling a very useful browser feature because of a platform-specific release. I won't be 'hanging in there' for much longer.

• Tim Wilkins
    Tim Wilkins
    Community Member
    Options

Tim, I agree that the "working around the clock" comment is worthless at this point. It was made more than 2 months prior to this post, and we STILL have NO resolution. The response to this issue has been disappointing, or worse, and it appears that they don't care you if you "hang around" much longer, as they already have your money.

The complaints to the company have not brought any results. The only solution for existing users, since we cannot withhold money from them directly, is to make sure that potential buyers understand the current situation and the company's unresponsiveness. I can't possibly recommend that anyone that uses both Windows and Mac buy anything from Agilebits. In fact, I will definitely recommend AGAINST it.

• ClockParadox
    ClockParadox
    Community Member
    Options

This is absolutely unacceptable. Disabling Chrome sync across multiple Operating Systems is super hacky and problematic for many.

I'd been putting off upgrading 1password since the debacle earlier this year where suddenly the iOS app stopped working and the Agilebits answer was "too bad, blame Dropbox, give us more money to upgrade to 1P4"

Now, since my family is using 1P elsewhere - I'm forced to drop another $50 on a Mac/PC bundle upgrade (on top of the original $80 this cost) + another $10 on the iOS app only to be stuck with a situation where we're forced to disable Chrome extensions on every PC machine at home and at work. Unbelievable.

You guys really need to provide an update for your users about 1Password 4 for Windows. We're coming up on 4 months since 1Password 4 shipped to Mac with no reasonable timeline as to when we should expect to have these issues fixed.

Also - noticed a few snarky responses to customers above. Really not advisable when you have extremely frustrated paying customers (some who have been customers for years and are hundreds of dollars into this app)

• olihar
    olihar
    Community Member
    Options

I just installed 1Password on my Windows machine and I ran into this problem, I will NOT change 3rd Party software like my Chrome to fit the needs of 1Password... This has to be fixed.

Why in the world would you release a OS specific extension for a web-browser... I didn't even know that was allowed by Google.

One note about the Windows version, it looks absolutely shit... compared to the macOS version, but seems to work fine so its ok, Well apart from the most important part, it being built into the browser.

• SamSkyfire
    SamSkyfire
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi!

By now we all know that this is a spectacularly frustrating issue, and the reasons why it is frustrating do not need to be reiterated.

Here are my questions for you AgileBits folks. I think they're productive questions.

1! If we uninstall our Windows 1p extensions, and then you fix the extension to make it work with Windows... how exactly are we supposed to know that?
    Seeing as how we just uninstalled the extension, it's not about to auto-update.

2! Is there a reason why there isn't an alternate Windows version of the extension in the Chrome Web Store?
    A quick search in the Chrome Web Store reveals that you guys have three extensions: one with the keyhole logo, one with the key logo, and one marked Beta. Okay, so Chrome doesn't give you the tech to grab an OS signature; big deal. Is there a reason why you can't publish a manual option? A Chrome 1p extension that's marked "WINDOWS" in the Chrome Web Store? Disabling extensions sync, and then installing the Windows version of the extension, would be an acceptable workaround to me.

Just to give you some background: I've been flirting with your software for a while and was teetering on the edge of buying it, and then it vomited all over me with this.

==== EDIT/UPDATE ====

Turns out that's what it took to fix this.

Here's how I got it to work again.

• Make sure extensions aren't synced between OS X Chrome and Windows Chrome.
    • Ignore all the links to Chrome extensions on AgileBits' website. They assume OS X.
    • On Windows Chrome, uninstall the 1p extension that vomited everywhere.
    • Go to the Chrome Web Store. Search for "1password".
    • There are three 1p extensions. Find the extension that matches the Windows app: it's a blue circle with a key. (For some reason it doesn't say "Windows Extension" on it.) Don't get the Beta one.
    • Install THAT Chrome extension.
    • Exit Chrome.
    • Restart the 1Password Helper from within the Windows app.
    • Start Chrome. Give it a minute to find your Windows app.

In summary: The error message is wrong, the links to the Chrome extension are wrong, and the extension's naming scheme is also wrong.

• atomicben
    atomicben
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

To further some of what SamSkyfire mentioned, and having just installed the new Windows Beta, the Chrome extension references the OSX keystroke in its instructions upon installation: "Automatically store your website Logins when you sign in, and log in next time with a click or keyboard shortcut ( ⌘-\ )."

It would be more beneficial if the extension would indicate the correct keystroke ( ctrl\ vs ⌘-\ ) based off the OS it sees locally. A small point, but it's the little things.

n.b. I had to add '-\' otherwise it would be stripped by the forums

• John Brown
    John Brown
    Community Member
    Options

despite saying they were working around the clock to solve this problem back in october, here we are in february and the problem has not been solved. what a mess this problem causes. not a sign of an organization responsive to customer needs. given the price of 1password you would expect a premium service. i have wasted hours trying to fix this problem.

• kirkwood
    kirkwood
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed with John Brown. This is completely unacceptable. After investing $80+ upgrade costs I will be switching to a new password protection service.

This discussion has been closed.