problem with "Uninstall 1Password 3 browser extensions"

Options
cwb
cwb
Community Member

I have sent this question to support but since I haven't gotten an answer I will try it here.

I have two browser icons in Safari (one for 1p4 and the other 1p3) so I have tried to follow the instructions to "Uninstall 1Password 3 browser extensions".

The only problem is that I no longer have the application 1password 3 so I can't
"Open 1Password 3. Once you’ve verified that the login you just saved in your web browser is there in the main app, you can quit 1Password 3 and uninstall the 1Password 3 browser extension."

And if I open 1password 4 the login I saved is not present even though I see the login in the 1p3 browser extension.

So how do I make sure that the old extension has synced all my data back to the main app?

I am so nervous about losing data that I'm afraid to do anything until I can actually uninstall the 1p3 browser extension)

Now what?

Comments

• @cwb You need 1Password 3 to communicate with the version 3 browser extension - 1P 4 won't see a change made in the old extension. You can still download 1P 3 from the AgileBits website if that helps. Here's a direct download link.

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

THanks for the help. But how do you install 1P3. THe icon looks like 1P3 but it just opens 1P4 and doesn't install as 1P3.

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

I found that uninstalling the 1P3 Safari extension manually (Safari > Preferences > Extensions > (single) click on 1P3 extension in list on left hand side) has seemed to be enough, so far.

• @cwb Try this:

1. Download 1Password 3.
    2. The downloaded app will likely be in you downloads folder (or similar). Rename this app to "1Password 3".
    3. Move it into you applications folder.
    4. Then try launching 1Password 3.
  • cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

Renaming it 1P3 made no difference. It still opens 1P4.

I am very frustrated that I can't get this problem handled. I get constant popops telling me:
    "An old 1Password extension is still installed in Safari. IT is important to uninstall the old version and use the new 1Password 4 extension instead." Why did they then give instructions to use 1P3 to be sure that all data is backed up when their update had already removed 1P3 so their instructions can't work?

I am so disappointed that there seems to be no support for 1Password.
    I have been using 1password for years. I have a family license for both mac and windows, ios versions for ipad and iphone,and I have bought it as a presents for both of my children and spouses. I "used to" recommend it to everyone.

I guess I will just remove the 1P3 browser extensions manually, but it sure leaves me very disappointed.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

cwb wrote:

The only problem is that I no longer have the application 1password 3

How did 1P 3 get uninstalled?

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

Good question. I don't remember for sure now but I thought it happened automatically since it happened on both my macbook Air and Macbook Pro. I thought about removing 1P4 so I could install 1P3 but I hate fooling around and then messing up something so important to me. Also I have been away from home for a few weeks and even though I have an external drive backup with me, I feel like I am flying without a net since I don't have time capsule or any backup before I installed 1P4. I was also waiting until I got home to be able to work on my imac and be sure that 1P3 is backed up properly before I install 1P4 to see if the same thing happens.

I'm not even sure if all this time and aggravation was even necessary. Here is the warning agile gives you in the "Uninstall 1Password 3 browser before uninstalling the extension":

"Before uninstalling the 1Password 3 extension from your web browser, it is necessary to make sure that the old extension has synced all your data back to the main app. If you don’t do this, it is possible to lose some data! The sync process is automatic, so there’s no button to click or progress bar to observe. "

I don't know why I would even have any data that wasn't synced. I just wanted to be sure that I did everything correctly to be sure I didn't lose anything. Now I am just really frustrated at the poor customer service.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cwb,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting the 1Password 3 extensions uninstalled. I'd also like to apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

To uninstall the 1Password 3 extensions safely after you have already deleted 1Password 3 (or if you upgraded via the Mac App Store), you will need to download a legacy version of 1Password 3 to ensure that your there is no unsynced data in your 1Password 3 extensions.

Please go to http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html and download 1Password 3.

Before launching the program unzip the file and rename it "1Password3.app" and then drag to Applications folder.

Now you should be able to open 1Password3 and follow the rest of the instructions in our article here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/v3-extensions.html

If you run into any snags, please PM me or reply here and we'll do our best to get you sorted just as soon as possible!

• helloagileusers
    helloagileusers
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a different problem. Am I the only one who just doesn't understand the instructions for removing the IP3 Safari extension? I tried, but I have no idea what "manually" saving a login is. I filled out a registration form at a website, then clicked the grey bar from 1Password to save it. BUT, this gray bar that appeared was for 1Password 4 which I had downloaded. I opened 1PW3 but the login wasn't there. I don't even know if that's what "manually" saving a login is, but if it is I can't get a 1PW3 grey bar to appear. Do I have to uninstall 4 first? Am I even doing this right? The instructions say you save it manually but it won't really create a login??? It just all sounds like gibberish to me, sorry.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @helloagileusers,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting the version 3 extensions uninstalled. You're right, this process is going to be simpler if you first uninstall the version 4 extensions.

The reason we want to manually save a Login is so that we can be sure that there are no unsaved Logins stored in the extension before we remove it. If this created Login syncs over correctly, then all is behaving as it should and you can delete it and install the version 4 extensions instead.

Here are the instructions for manually saving a login in 1Password 3:

• Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the + button in the corner.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.

Once this Login shows up in 1Password 3, you can continue with the uninstall instructions.

Please let me know if you are still having difficulties and I'd be happy to help further :)

This discussion has been closed.