Convert from MAS to direct version?

Options
neilio
neilio
Community Member

Hello!

Is it possible to convert an existing MAS install of 1Password to the direct version, or is the only way to do this to purchase an upgrade?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hello, neilio!

Yup, that conversion is possible and "technical stuff" is documented here:

Migrate from MAS to web store version

About the "licensing stuff", @MikeT wrote:

You do not have to pay for the website version, we will take care of you if you provide us with the receipt for the Mac App Store. We're working on setting up a smooth way to switch from the Mac App Store purchase to the website license automatically.

You can email your MAS purchase receipt to the address on our contact page with something like "Bought MAS and want the webstore" for the Subject. Thanks!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Does this apply if the version bought from the App Store was 3.9?

I'm one of the people who originally bought (3.8 and earlier) from Agile's web site, and only bought 3.9 two years ago as a way of giving Agile some money in advance of release of 4.

I do realise that this may be asking for too much.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@danco, I'm in similar position to you. When I went to the AB store and put in my 3.6 licence code I did see a very reasonable upgrade price. However, I'm unsure whether, if I buy the upgrade, it will complain because I no longer have 3.6 (or the MAS version, for that matter) installed. I currently have only the beta installed.

Edit: sorry, I should have made clear that my 3.6 version was from AB. I subsequently bought the MAS version, so things are a little more complex!

Stephen

• nev
    nev
    Community Member
    Options

"You can email your MAS purchase receipt" - where do I get that receipt?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@nev, yes, tricky...I no longer have mine either. :(

Stephen

• nev
    nev
    Community Member
    Options

So if we deleted our email MAS receipt (which I guess many people have, since we have our MAS purchases listed on the MAS anyway) - just what do we do to convert to the working non-MAS version ???

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@nev, the short answer is "have patience". I don't think AgileBits is the sort of company that will abandon its loyal customers so we should wait to find out whether there might be some way around the problem.

Stephen

• nev
    nev
    Community Member
    Options

Hey - I'm exercising a great deal of patience already, but an answer would be welcome too.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Since I am not paid staff,

I am going to say my work detailed below would be sufficient enough for the team. * But remember they are the ultimate decision makers, and the final word on the subject.

To find a copy of your invoice for purchasing 1Password :

Open the Mac App Store > purchases > Find 1Password it will tell you the purchase date

Open iTunes > iTunes store > (quick links on right hand side view my account > Sign in > scroll to purchase history > click see all > under previous purchases change the date to the date you purchased 1Password from above. > click the jump button.

Click the disclosure arrow on the left hand side of the date. It will open the actual invoice.

I usually take a screen grab of the page making sure to include my email in the grab. Submit the screen grab to AgileBits. It has the invoice number, email, and order number available in case they need it to verify the purchase etc.

To take a screen grab on a Mac,

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11229?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower, how silly of me not to think of that! I guess the only reason I didn't is that I've never before needed to look up an old purchase. Thanks for the excellent, and clear, suggestion. I appreciate you can't speak for AgileBits but your post was most helpful.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all!

@danco asked:

Does this apply if the version bought from the App Store was 3.9?

Certainly! Right now everyone who's ever purchased any MAS version of 1Password is currently eligible for a free license for the 1P4 for Mac website version. It'll run in fully functional trial mode, unlicensed, for 30 days. 1Password MAS receipt information we receive that's been acquired using @thightower's excellent instructions (post #10) will qualify as valid proof-of-purchase. We appreciate your patience if you don't receive your free license immediately.

Here's a summary of the receipt retrieval process:

• Go into the iTunes Store within iTunes.
    • On the right column, under Quick Links, click Account.
    • Enter your iTunes password if prompted.
    • Scroll to the Purchase History section and click See All.
    • Find the entry in the list that has 1Password, and click the gray arrow on the left of that entry. The full receipt will load.
    • Take a screenshot of that entire window and send it to us.

I hope that addresses all your questions and concerns about 1Password MAS to website version licensing and eligibility. I'm sure you'll let us know if it doesn't. :)

Thank you!

• peterter
    peterter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I followed the Conversion from MAS to a direct version as described in
    http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/mas-web.html
    but after opening the direct version I see that I am still in Trial Mode?????

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@peterter, I just wonder whether that's part of:

We don’t quite have the licensing stuff sorted out yet...

I'm sure someone from AgileBits will be along to clarify in due course.

Stephen

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@peterter: did you receive a license yet. If not you can't register the trail and therefore is will never come out trail mode...Just have patience as I am waiting for a license too :)

• Hengus
    Hengus
    Community Member
    Options

I am fast losing the plot here. Is AB advising customers who have downloaded 1PW4 from the MAS to revert to the product downloaded from the AB site? Can we expect a MAS update anytime soon? I see that an update has just been released for IOS7 devices. For me, 1PW4 is just so 'hit and miss' that it is practically unusable other than as a vault to protect information.

• peterter
    peterter
    Community Member
    Options

I am loosing so much time with 1Password that I am not productive anymore..

• cavenewt
    cavenewt
    Community Member
    Options

I had bought the MAS version of 1P 3 so as to get v4 free. MAS v4 was problematical, so I converted to the web site version 4, which has 30 days of trial mode. I'm waiting for the fixed MAS version in the meantime. I'm pretty sure it will be back in the MAS before my 30 days is up.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Hengus/ I don't think Agilebits are advising customers to switch. It's just that, for various reasons, some (many?( customers with 1PW4 from MAS would prefer the webstore version, and Agilebits is accommodating them.

Also, webstore updates always come sooner than App Store versions, because the App Store version has to go through Apple's approval process. I Think Agilebits said there was an update submitted to Apple.

• lindan
    lindan
    Community Member
    Options

I sent an urgent email to support a couple of days ago for help to convert my Mac App Store licence to a regular website download licence, but I haven't heard anything back.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You do know you can use the AgileBits' store version in trial mode for 30 days while waiting for your licence, don't you? :)

Stephen

• Hi @lindan,

I'm sorry you haven't received a reply yet. We've received literally thousands of emails every day after the the launch and have been trying to catch up ever since. I don't mean to quibble with terminology as I prefer to treat all customer emails as "urgent" but during these crazy times we've needed to take drastic actions and part of that is deciding what constitutes "urgent". Since you can use the website version in trial mode as Stephen pointed out my guess is we elected to reply to your email at a later time. We certainly will reply but there are other customers with more urgent requirements that we're trying to help first.

As for @Hengus' question, no, we are NOT advocating that MAS users switch to the Website version. We are simply trying to be accommodating for anyone that finds themselves in a special situation where they need to switch. Please realize that this requires a lot of manual work on our side so we'd prefer you only switch when needed.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

Last night I received the web store license. Kudos for your great support ! :)

I used you migration page http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/mas-web.html and all went very smooth. yet I have now both 2 applications installed:

1Password (4.0.3 MAS)
    1Password 4 (4.0.2 web store)

Just to be sure as I want to delete the MAS version (4.0.3) can I all delete below folders in User/Myname/Libary/Containers

com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-thumbs
    com.agilebits.onepassword-osx
    com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
    2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@support: any suggestions what to delete after MAS to web store migration ? (see above post)

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Yesterday I migrated from MAS to web store version of 1Password 4. (all went smooth) In that case is it safe to delete all traces of 1Password in ~/Library/Containers or not ? thanks :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

You should be able to remove them as the Mac App Store version is the one using the containers folder. As a safety measure move them to the desktop. Once there you can zip them up to conserve space etc. Keep them around for a bit till you are sure everything is working correctly. That way you have them saved should something happen.

I am only using the web store version and the only files that are present in the web store are these.

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

Since the data files take up so little space, you could simply just remove the Mac App Store version of the app from your applications folder. Which is generally what the guys recommend from a post I saw the other day from @sjk

edit: this conversation is directly tied to how this user uses, and used 1Password if you need guidance please ask as the answers may not be the same for you.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

Thx. FYI the old data folders in containers take a lot of space as they include many 3.9 backups. Glad to delete all folders in containers now : )

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ah that makes sense I forgot about the backups. Nice to file away for future use (again). Since I will be staying on the web release versions.

edit: this conversation is directly tied to how this user uses, and used 1Password if you need guidance please ask as the answers may not be the same for you.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@thightower I really don't need the old backups as I started backups with 4.02 web version.

Yet I don't know when auto-backups are executed. Is it a particular time ? Also AM/PM time is shown in the backup prefs screen and NOT 24 hour system. Please tell the dev team.

btw icon sync now works fine :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah we had a forum discussion about the 24 hr format, @MikeT said he would file a report about it.

As to the time, I honestly have no clue. :(

This discussion has been closed.