Bug report on app icon appearance (Software Licenses section)

mgshoutman
mgshoutman
Community Member

Today I finally found out through this forum that only after modifying a software license custom icon or entry would sync the custom its custom icon to 1Password iOS 4.3 too.

Then I discovered that these (new) custom icons became slightly bigger on iOS and I thought it was time to modify every software license to get icons with same size (on iOS)

While changing app icons on 1Password 4.0.3 (MAS) I discovered that while in edit mode and dragging an app icon in the available square, the icon became blurry. Yet when I opened the .pkg file of the same application and dragged its icns. file in the same place, the icon was NOT blurry. I could reproduce this behavior.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

roustem commented somewhere (to many posts now to recall from memory) that the issue was related to the scaling and resizing of the icon. I wonder of the 2 icons you notes were of different size and quality ?

Sometimes pkg files have multiple versions for various reasons.

• Hi @mgscoutman,

That's strange, dragging the .app file itself into the custom icon area is the same as dragging the icns file in there, we automatically pick the best size from the .app/.icns files.

When you said app icons, do you mean you're dragging the apps in there or you found your own app icons?

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

I just modified several app icons (1PW 4, GraphicConverter 8, Quicken Essentials, TechTool Pro 7, TurboTax) in the Software Licenses tab (which also included the 1PW 4 icon which was showing as a generic), while in edit mode for 1PW 4 MAS, by dragging the .app file into the icon area. The results, in 1PW 4 MAS, look just like their counterparts that already had their native app icon.
    However, looking at the results on a iOS device - iPhone 5 & iPad 3, the resulting icon is clear, but it's a bit larger when compared to icons that already had the app's native icon. [The 1PW 4 icon on an iOS is consistent with this result.] Since the edited app icon is a bit larger, it's clear, just not as "tight" compared to the other apps. ...I'm Ok with the results; and I'll won't mess about any more unless I read here, how to resolve this minor, cosmetic result.
    ...But, I am curious about why the 1PW 4 app, both for MAS and iOS, was showing a generic icon when 1PW 4 is definitely showing the new icon as viewed in the Applications Folder.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member

@MikeT As written there is a difference when I just drag the app icon in the square or the icns file (from the package. As pbGuy writes all modified apps (dragging icns files in 1Password Mac) show slightly bigger on iPhone iOS only. (list view) There seems to less space now between the different apps which makes it visually less attractive

This discussion has been closed.