1Password vs. iCloud Keychain

Options
Eric_Champlin
Eric_Champlin
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

Go figure, 1 week after I purchase 1Password for my laptop and iPhone, Apple releases iCloud Keychain with the new OS X Mavericks. Doesn't anyone currently use Keychain? Would you say that 1Password is still more efficient?

Comments

• Eric_Champlin
    Eric_Champlin
    Community Member
    Options

Does* anyone currently use Keychain?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eric_Champlin,

I'll chime in here a bit. Clearly, as an AgileBits employee, I'm slightly biased :)

First of all, I just want to say that anything that helps educate people about the importance of strong passwords is a good thing, so we're glad that Apple has taken steps to making this an option for users.

The benefit of 1Password is that we are a bit more versatile that the iCloud Keychain. We work with multiple browsers on Mac and Windows, and also have apps for iOS and Android. We even store more than passwords and credit card details - we can store information for other important documents including your driver's license, passport, insurance, memberships, and more!

If you would like to take advantage of the convenience iCloud Keychain offers in Safari form filling, we recommend that you continue to maintain the master copy of your data in 1Password. When the information you're filling differs from what iCloud Keychain has stored, Safari should prompt you to save it. In this way, you retain the cross-platform, cross-browser security and functionality of 1Password as well as enjoy the convenience of Safari's form filling.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

There's a useful podcast episode available on Shawn Blanc's site covering this: http://shawnblanc.net/2013/10/1password-icloud/

He advocates using both, with 1Password as canonical source, as @megan suggests.

• Thanks, @crisbennet, for sharing the link, we appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.