iCloud Keychain Support?

Options
simonf00
simonf00
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Is there any way to sync 1Password with the iCloud Key Chain?

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @simonf00,

Thanks for the question! We would be thrilled to have some sort of sync with iCloud Keychain if Apple decides to provide a developer API. As it stands right now, this is not possible, but perhaps in the future. :)

• guyb
    guyb
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

This has probably already been covered but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

Is it technically possible to integration 1Password & iCloud Keychain?

I'd love to be able to use 1Password on my Mac's to fill passwords and manage logins, account, licences, etc and then use iCloud Keychain on my iOS devices with the logins somehow synced with 1Password...

I am sure there is a number of reasons why this would not be possible but it would make me very happy.

If this is not possible does anyone have any good ideas or workflows for manually syncing 1Password with iCloud Keychain?

Best Regards,

Guy

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

There is a short thread here on a similar topic, with a contribution from AgileBits.

Stephen

[Edit by sjk: I've merged @guyb's related topic in this one]

• guyb
    guyb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for that...

I assumed that would be the case!

Anyone have any good ideas for manually syncing?

Wonder if you could create something is Automator or AppleScript that could do something clever with 1Password and Keychain Access on a Mac?!?!

Guy

• gregr
    gregr
    Community Member
    Options

Would it be possible for 1P to export some sort of Keychain-friendly file, that you could manually import into Keychain Access in your iCloud keychain? I realize it wouldn't stay in sync, but I'd be willing to re-export and re-import this every time I changed one of the passwords I wanted to keep in my keychain.

So my proposed workflow would be:

1. Find the passwords I want to export from 1P, select them all, export to a file.
    2. In Keychain Access, import the file from #1 into my iCloud keychain.
    3. Repeat as necessary when I change any of the affected passwords.

Maybe possible?

• JasonG
    JasonG
    Community Member
    Options

Just to throw in my two cents, I would also love some way to work with this. Despite 1Password being a much better manager, overall, I have found myself slowly replacing it with iCloud Keychain. Being able to use the passwords in Safari on my iOS devices is proving to be the killer feature.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @guyb, @gregr and @JasonG

As Meek mentioned, there is currently no way for 1Password to sync with iCloud, and importing into iCloud directly isn't possible right now. As iCloud is a service that only recently became available to third-party developers, we're quite excited about the future possibilities here.

However, If you would like to take advantage of the convenience iCloud Keychain offers in Safari form filling right now, here's how you can have your cake and eat it too. We recommend that you continue to maintain the master copy of your data in 1Password. When the information you're filling differs from what iCloud Keychain has stored, Safari should prompt you to save it. In this way, you retain the cross-platform, cross-browser security and functionality of 1Password as well as enjoy the convenience of Safari's form filling.

This discussion has been closed.