Two Instances of 1Password mini in system tray

Options
Rymnel
Rymnel
Community Member

I downloaded a copy of 1Password and installed it. Then I moved it to the trash. Downloaded another copy of 1Password and bought the license. The old version of 1Password mini stays in the system tray(up top) and I can't git rid of it. What can I do?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is an article in the knowledge base about leaving the beta. The section of that article headed I deleted the beta and installed the release version, now I’m seeing issues might help you because it refers to a problem similar to the one you're having and gives a solution.

Stephen

• Rymnel
    Rymnel
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the two commands that were mentioned.

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

but with the appropriate daemon/agent info and, although it certainly removed the items from the system tray in the moment, when I reboot both items are up top.... Any other ideas?

For what it's worth, the Chrome extension refers to the old version of the 1Password mini instance. Even after deleting and reinstalling it only shows the old version. Haven't tried other versions of browser extensions.

Thanks!
    Shane

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Shane (@Rymnel).

If one of those 1Password key icons in the menu bar is a leftover from 1P3 here's what might help get rid of it:

Multiple 1Password Icons

If not, or you've never used 1P3 on that system, please run this command in a Terminal window and post its output:

launchctl list | grep agile

Thanks!

• jgeno
    jgeno
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I’ve used and loved 1PW for years and have vehemently recommended it to other Mac users. After having readily upgraded to 1PW 4 beta (which, BTW, I would NOT have done had it been apparent that I was upgrading to a beta) and wrestling for days after the stable release was offered trying to install via download from AgileBits site AND via the App Store and, subsequently, manually, per the various related forum posts that I could find, I’m plagued now with two instances of 1PW mini apps/icons in my menubar.

My desperation for finding a solution/fix was lessened when I found this thread and followed the solutions (verbatim)! However, alas, no joy for this user... but thanks, anyway, for the effort!

I’ve tried the Terminal entries solution which resulted in one of the two 1password mini apps/icons disappearing from the menubar but, after performing a system restart as directed, they’re both there again. I've tried this numerous times with varying results... all eventually ending up with two mini apps showing/running concurrently.

One of the 1PW mini apps/icons is aware that 1PW 4 app is running (doesn’t require input of Master Password) but the other isn’t aware (it requires Master Password). The one that requires a Master Password (orphaned?), when given one, does nothing when clicking “Open 1Password” within its submenu (“gear” icon within 1Password mini)… the other functions as expected (opens 1Password 4 when clicked).

The 1PW 4 app and the [non-orphaned] mini app work and perform correctly/as expected by themselves and within the browsers that have the 1Password extension installed.

Even though I have run 1Password 3 (my problem resulted from upgrading), here's the output from having run the Terminal app with the launchctl list | grep agile command:

308 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper
    261 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Pleeeeeze, AgileBits, if it’s possible, provide a solution while I still have any hair left on my head.

Thanx!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @jgeno. I'm sorry you're also having trouble removing an extra 1P mini (and not just a 1P3 leftover).

For both you and @Rymnel it'll be faster to resolve this through email. To do that please start by sending a Diagnostics Report from the Mac where you're having trouble; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but please do include a link to this topic and your forum username in your email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. After seeing that report we'll be able to better assist you.

Thanks!

• jgeno
    jgeno
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! Talk about instant response... on a Saturday... I'm "compressed"! I've complied with your request to provide a Diagnostic Report via email... thanx!

BTW: I've uninstalled the 1Password extension from my browser (Safari) since I posted... FYI (if that shows up on the diagnostics). This had no effect and I'll reinstall it shortly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's Saturday? :)

I've already identified the problem from the report you sent and will follow up in email about how to fix it after returning from a break.

• Wingleader
    Wingleader
    Community Member
    Options

I've got the same problem (two 1password mini in my systemtray, got the same output al jgeno with the command launchctl. And have no old version 3 extension installed in safari (running on mavericks). Could you post the solution you came up with after analysing the report from jgeno

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Wingleader.

Please email us a Diagnostics Report (see post #6 above) and we'll take care of you. It's best if we have that additional information about how 1Password is configured on your system before suggesting specifically what to do to resolve this problem. Thanks!

• _fiaskogaul
    _fiaskogaul
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. May i send you my diagnostic too?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure, @_fiaskogaul. If you'd like more help removing any extra 1Password icons please do send us a Diagnostics Report. :)

• Jeff Palmer
    Jeff Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I just sent a diagnostic report. Really looking forward to hearing your response as I've been banging my head against the wall for hours trying to resolve this.

• ScottPSU
    ScottPSU
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am also having this problem on a brand-new MacBook Pro and submitted my Diagnostics Report to AgileBits on Tuesday (3 days ago). I still have not heard anything back from Customer Support and am wondering how much longer I will have to wait. If it were easier to reset my MacBook Pro to factory settings, I would have done that and started over, but since that's a bit of a process, I'd really like for Agilebits to help me solve this issue.

• Jeff Palmer
    Jeff Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

If I execute the 2 commands
    launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper one of the 2 running 1Password mini processes gets removed and the problem goes away. The issue is is that the process reappears the next time I restart my Mac. What I need is a way to stop and remove the extra1Password mini process and have it stay removed after restarting.

• Jeff Palmer
    Jeff Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Running the launchctl list | grep agile command results in the following output:

586 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper 582 - com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.88384 244 - com.agileroute.clipboardhistory.29776 222 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

Should I stop and remove both the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper processes?

• Hey Jeff,

What version of 1Password are you running?

• Jeff Palmer
    Jeff Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP, I'm running Version 4.1 (410009).

I think the problem is related to the way I performed the installation. I first downloaded 1Password 4 for for Mac from agilebits.com, which I installed it and used for about a week as a trial. I liked it so I decided to purchase it through the App Store. Before purchasing it from the App Store I first uninstalled the trial version of the app using AppCleaner. I then installed the App Store version of 1Password, which is when the problems started happening. My guess is AppCleaner didn't remove all the files it needed to as I can see there as 2 instances of 1Password mini running.

• Hey Jeff,

That is exactly what's causing this problem, the AgileBits version and Mac App Store version use a different 1Password mini. And using an app cleaner won't cause a proper transition between the two.

First, to answer your previous question:

Should I stop and remove both the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper processes?

No. 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper is the 1Password mini process needed for the Mac App Store version.

You'll need to kill the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper process, since that's for the AgileBits version.

These instructions should work for you (fingers crossed):

• Quit 1Password 4 and any web browsers that have the 1P4 extension installed.

• Run these four commands in a Terminal window:

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword4 KeepHelperRunning 0 defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword4 ShowStatusItem 0

• Restart your Mac.

• Relaunch 1Password 4 and run Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the Help menu.

Hope that works! :)

• Jeff Palmer
    Jeff Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Jasper,

I followed your instructions but it didn't work. There are still 2 instances of 1Password mini still runnning :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Jeff.

Since we've been following up with you about this issue in email we'll carry on from there instead of here. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ScottPSU.

I apologize for the delay in responding to you about this issue. Did you email the Diagnostics Report from a different address than you're registered with on this forum, or to a different one than suggested in the instructions post? I haven't been able to locate it yet.

Which version of 1P4 are you currently running and are you able to access all your 1Password with it?

The instructions @JasperP posted earlier (in #19) are to remove 1P mini/helper for the AgileBit Store (website/beta) version. If you'd like to remove 1P mini/helper for the Mac App Store version please give this a try:

• Quit 1Password 4 and web browsers that have the 1P4 extension installed.
    • Open Terminal.app window (from the /Applications/Utilities folder) and run these four commands in its window (copying and pasting them, one at a time, is preferable):

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword-osx KeepHelperRunning 0 defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword-osx ShowStatusItem 0

• Empty Trash.

• Restart your system.
    • Relaunch 1Password 4 and run Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the Help menu.

If an extra 1P mini is still hanging around after that please run this command in a Terminal window and post its output:

launchctl list | grep agile

Thanks!

• ScottPSU
    ScottPSU
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did use the same email address in my email as I use on this forum. I sent my support request to support@agilebits.com, which I obtained from the website. If this is the wrong address to use, I apologize.

I want to keep all aspects of 1Password 4 that are associated with the Mac App Store download, and remove all aspects associated with the AgileBit store version. So, I guess the instructions in Post #19 are the correct ones?

I am running version 4.1 (410009).

I am going to try the instructions in post #19 one more time, and then I will report the results back here.

Regards,

Scott

• ScottPSU
    ScottPSU
    Community Member
    Options

I just finished the process described in post #19 and I still have two instances of the 1Password Mini Key at the top of my Mac. One came up immediately after the restart (presumably the one associated with the Agilebits site version of the SW) and the other one came up upon opening 1Password 4.

More help would be greatly appreciated. If you would like me to email my Diagnostic Report, please just tell me where to send it.

Alternatively, if there is a way to 100% wipe all instances of 1Password off of my Mac and just start over, I'm OK with that too. All of my data is backed up and easily recovered, so the pain of doing so should be pretty minimal.

Thanks!

Scott

• ScottPSU
    ScottPSU
    Community Member
    Options

Just noticed that an upgrade of 1Password 4, to version 4.2, is available in the Mac App Store. Do you want me to do the update and then repeat the process in post #19?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ScottPSU.

Now that I've tracked down the email with your Diagnostics Report, which was sent from your Gmail account, let's carry on from there instead of here. :)

• dschloss
    dschloss
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I'am having the very same problem as ScottPSU.
    Could you resolve his problem finally?
    However, I've one addition to the symptoms: any password added via the browser extensions is NOT added to the vault I access with the 1P main application or with its associated 1P mini. Those passwords are only added to - and can be accessed by - the 1P mini app that is associated with the 1P app launched by the browser extensions (chrome and Safari).

AND, most strange: although I have activated Dropbox synch with 1P default location, the vaults of both apps remain different, new passwords are not synched across both vaults/apps.

What do I have to do to merge both vaults, and not only remove one app? I'd like to keep the Mac AppStore-based version of everything.

Thank you!

dirks-mbp-2:~ DSC$ launchctl list | grep agile

28794 - com.agilebits.onepassword4.104928

19661 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

19657 - com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.90496

19632 - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

Regards
    Dirk

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @dschloss.

Please send us a Diagnostics Report (see post #6 above) and we'll help you get this sorted out through email. Thanks!

• rodendahl
    rodendahl
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having a lot of problems since upgrading to 1Password 4. I found this forum. I want to send a copy of my diagnostics but I can't find the email address to send it to. I have spend too much time on this and spending more looking for an email address is just making it more frustrating.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @rodendahl.

I'm sorry to hear that've been having problems with 1Password 4 and want to help you get it working properly.

You can send us a Diagnostics Report, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. Mentioning any specific problems you've having would also be helpful.

After we see the report and know what the problems are we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Clement
    Clement
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Similar issue after upgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.1.3 (both ended up installed in the Apps folder)
    Solved it by:
    Opening each version of 1password main program, then in the preferences menu, disabling the "Always keep 1password mini running" option.
    This unchecks both boxes in this preference pane.
    Close the 1pasword program.
    Did the same with the older version of 1 password.
    Both icons vanished from the menu bar. I logged out and restarted, and both icons again did not show. I then reopened the latest 1password and reactivated the mini up. One icon now shows up, and only one shows up on log in.
    Problem solved, so far....!

Hope this helps you

[Update from AgileBits: Please note that 4.1.3 is not an upgrade to 4.1.2. Thanks! -sjk]

This discussion has been closed.