importing eWallet .txt into 1Password

Options

I've been using eWallet and wish to move to 1Password. I've exported an eWallet .txt but can't seem to import it into 1 Password; how do I do this?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password for Windows should be able to import a comma- or tab-delimited text file containing one set of login credentials per line.

For details, please see the "How do I import data into 1Password for Windows?" article in the “FAQ” section of the user’s guide accessible from the Help menu and in the Support area of our web site.
    http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/import-data.html

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

eWallet's exports are not well formatted. I was able to migrate data in a roundabout way. First by importing to KeePass with the eWallet plug-in, and then by exporting to CSV and massaging the data in a spreadsheet. Had this failed, I was going to write a conversion script.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC if someone could send me a sample eWallet export, then I'll be happy to take a look at it

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC do you prefer the TXT or XML export format?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This request was for mikeyg, the original poster. I was just suggesting a method I was able to use.

If you're asking more about the procedure I used as mentioned in post #3, I don't recall. I'd have to go reproduce the steps.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd opt for comma- or tab-delimited text, because it's easier to open, read, and manipulate in a spreadsheet program, should the target program have any problem interpreting the output or not include an import feature.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd opt for comma- or tab-delimited text

The problem appears to be with eWallet not supporting comma- or tab-delimited text (otherwise, there would be no problem importing it)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, I missed the point of "what export format do you prefer?"

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Its been over a month since mikeyg posted this thread. If mikeyg is still listening, and needs help migrating from ewallet into 1Password, please reply here, and I'll help you out (in the event that the 1Password folks have not yet implemented a direct import method).

As svondutch mentions, ewallet's export format is really sad. They've known about it for ten years, folks have asked them for a structured export, but they've ignored the request. (I think they like that you're locked into their format).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's really generous of you, @MrC! We love 1Password users.

• tommyryan
    tommyryan
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any scripts to get ewallet txt output into a csv format? I am going to have to do a manual import which will be a pain.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If the method I subscribed in Post 3 is not workable for you, I'll write you a perl script to do the conversion. You will be required to install the free ActivePerl on your system to run it though. If this is acceptable, please confirm the platform and version of eWallet you are using.

The script will take the txt file format of eWallet - you get to this via File > Save As > Text File.

The conversion can only store things in a CSV format acceptable by your version and platform of 1Password, so please indicate these too.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Nice, @MrC!

• Greg Schuessler
    Greg Schuessler
    Community Member
    Options

I too use eWallet 7.1 for Mac and cannot get the exported txt file to import via csv into 1Password 4 to my Mac. I've read this entire thread and would really appreciate some assistance. It appears that others have found a solution but I'm not sure exactly what was done. Thanks.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greg, it sounds like @MrC has created a script to transform eWallet's exported data to a CSV format that 1Password for Windows can import. If that solution works for you, please contact him through the forum's "direct message" feature.

Again, @MrC‌: That's very generous of you!

• StefanB
    StefanB
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to migrate from eWalletGo as it does not properly support Sync between Mac Mavericks and Iphone. Is there a simple way to extract the data and move into 1Password? Thanks for your inputs.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StefanB, I think the posts in this thread are the best record of a solution. Specifically, please see replies 2, 3, 11, 13, 14, and 17. Note that his solution is likely to be applicable to 1Password for Windows. (1Password for Mac also does not have direct import of eWallet data.)

I hope that helps, @StefanB. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Options

Just an FYI for future reference. I'm posting now since I've been working with someone offline to help convert / import.

I haven't tested my eWallet to 1P4 converter (Perl) script on Windows. Some issues that might crop up: 1. different eWallet export format (not too likely), 2. 1P4 Windows CSV import issues/differences (likely), 3. Released vs. Beta (unknown issues/differences).

The converter works w/Mac 1P4 version 4.2.2, but not the current 1Password 4.3.BETA-15 version (where CSV importing is broken). I've tested with 1P4 version 4.2.2 (422001) in a virtual machine and was able to read in all 330 Mac eWallet 7.4.4 records.

I haven't tested against the Mac App store version 4.1.2 (since I don't have it).

I know there were some CSV import bugs fixed in 4.2, and don't know how well importing will work in general with earlier releases.

On the Mac, the import types are currently: login, software, credit card, and secure notes. The converter creates individual files for each type, and does so by default. You can also select an individual type and only that type is created.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for your generosity, @MrC!

• aoffen
    aoffen
    Community Member
    Options

MrC has just helped me migrate my data across from eWallet using his perl scripts. Process was pretty easy and worked well. A few notes in one category didn't make the migration for some reason but the vast majority came across fine. It made my conversion a whole lot easier for sure. Many thanks to him for his help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

That’s great news, @aoffen—thanks for letting us know!

( @MrC rocks. ^:)^ )

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You're welcome.

I intentionally did not migrate the Expires field for Credit Cards, as this was an area that in the past refused to succumb to importation. Also, I wasn't sure how eWallet would deal with different locales (for date entry and exportation into the CSV). Rather than risk your imports failing and going through a long debug process, I pushed date fields to Notes (along with all other data fields that didn't have a direct mapping). This was a high-risk, low-reward area, given that I suspect most folks have very few credit card entries.

Feel free to send me (via email) some more info if there were fields other than Expires that didn't import, and I'll correct the script if necessary.

• StevenG210
    StevenG210
    Community Member
    Options

I have exported my data file from eWallet for Windows Version 7.4.4.33409. I want to convert the data and import into 1Password for Windows. I've tried to follow the instructions earlier in this thread using Perl for Windows. I am not a user of Perl, so I'm flying blind (or worse). I was unsuccessful. Can you help? Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi StevenG210,

eWallet data is hard to convert so I wrote a conversion script to do it for you. All my testing was done on a Mac, but I've been suspecting it will work just fine on Windows.

I haven't installed eWallet on my Window system, so haven't tested my script against its exported text file. However, I believe it is the same format on Windows as it is on the Mac. And since you are the first person to ask about the converting and importing on Windows, I had not yet bothered to test the conversion script on Windows. But good cross-platform coding habits won the day, and I downloaded the conversion script and ran it against my eWallet test data and it ran fine, creating 4 import files. Note that 1P4 on Windows only imports type Logins (even though my script generates import files for the four types importable on the Mac version of 1P4).

So here's what you'd need to do:

1. Install ActivePerl for your platform (32 or 64 bit): 32-bit and 64-bit. Let the installer modify your PATH variable, so you can find perl more easily later. You can uninstall ActivePerl once you're done importing if you want.

2. Download the conversion script zip file from here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/121139

3. Follow the instructions on the page mentioned in #2, and the instructions in the ReadMe file.

Note the following differences in the steps listed in the ReadMe file. Change the directions for these steps:

Change in Step 3: Run cmd.exe and not Terminal.app. You can go to your Start menu and type cmd.exe and hit Enter. Use \ instead of / in Desktop path for the cd command, as in:

cd Desktop\ewallet_to_1p4

Change in Step 4: In this step, replace the ~/Desktop/ewallet_export.txt with:

..\Desktop\ewallet_export.txt

Change in Step 5: The import process is different in 1P4 for Windows. When you select your file to import, you'll get the opportunity to match the Title, Username, Password, Location (aka URL), and Description. Match them to your data which is sample in the pulldown items. Ignore the last two pulldown fields named "Username field name" and "Password field name".

Your data should now import as type Logins. You can try importing the other types, but do those later, and of course, they will import as Logins also.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again, @MrC‌!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Options

Well, the thanks may have come too early.

The import process on 1P4 for Windows needs some work and is very fragile. It fails in many ways, including not being able to import a single record which 1P4 for Windows exported! I crashed and hung 1P4 several times, and created all sorts of chimeric records. It will also say it imported 0 records, yet show 2 new (but incomplete) records.

@StevenG210, the process may not be ready for prime time.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We really appreciate the time, energy, and passion you're putting into it, @MrC!

• StevenG210
    StevenG210
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC...yes, thank you for your time and energy on this! I have a number of non-login in records in eWallet, so if your magical conversion talents extended to those records as well, I would be grateful. Thanks.
    Steve

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@StevenG210 - until the 1P4 Windows import gets better, I'm not sure how to best advise. I'm currently using a beta Windows version, so the issue may be only present in the beta version(s). I just tried it again and crashed 1P4 Windows.

As soon as AgileBits has some cycles to spend on this, I'm happy to make the converter(s) work on Windows too.

This discussion has been closed.