"Problem loading 1Password data file" message in 1PasswordAnywhere

Options
DBrown
DBrown
1Password Alumni
edited January 2014 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from the thread named "A Key Data File could not be loaded - online version - 1PasswordAnywhere" in the 1Password for Windows forum.

Comments

• Ayhan Aydin
    Ayhan Aydin
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to sync over dropbox I get this "Problem loading 1Password data file".
    I have the path right as people been writing it here but still it dosen´t work. And the repair dosen´t work.
    I run 1password 4.1 on maverick.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ayhan,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble here. I'd like to get just a bit more information about your situation. How are you accessing 1Password Anywhere? 1Password Anywhere must be accessed through a web-browser, not the Dropbox app or Finder.

• rcpettengill
    rcpettengill
    Community Member
    Options

What has changed is that ALL modern browsers now no longer allow loading of local files from the javascript code that 1PasswordAnywhere uses. You must either place the keychain file on a local web server (it’s encrypted and password protected so don’t worry too much) or start your browser with something like Google Chrome’s –allow-file-access-from-files optional argument. The 1Password documentation points out this problem with Google Chrome, but neglects to mention that the latest versions of Safari and Firefox have the same behavior.

The error message could easily deletect the use of a file URL and give correct advice to the user. 1Password needs to revise it’s documentation to make clear that the requirements for 1PasswordAnywhere are now: your keychain, a modern web browser, AND access to a local web server to host the keychain.

• rsamuels
    rsamuels
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue, I keep getting the "Problem loading 1Password data file" message saying that "encryptionKeys.js" could not be found. But when I click the "key data file" link to see "encryptionKeys.js", the file displays just fine in the window. I am using Firefox version 26.0 on Ubuntu.

Does Firefox have an argument like Chrome's --allow-file-access-from-files? I don't see any setting that would apply.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

In Safari, you can access 1PWAnywhere from the a local folder by checking "Disable Local File Restrictions" under the Develop menu...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rcpettengill,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. You're right, web browsers have changed the rules a bit and complicated things for us. I'll be sure to let our documentation team know that the 1Password Anywhere docs could use a bit of attention.

Hi @rsamuels,

You should have no problem accessing 1Password Anywhere directly from the Dropbox website, even in Ubuntu. Are you attempting to read 1Password Anywhere via a USB drive?

• alipsh
    alipsh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @megan ,

I am having the same problem. I am trying to open the 1Password Anywhere directly from dropbox website (have been doing that since I got it!) but it still complains. Even running Chrome with the local access granting flag (and opening the .html file directly from the local dropbox folder) would not change the outcome. It just started giving that error yesterday afternoon. I used it a few times and then like an hour later, tried again and it failed. At those times, I used to refresh the dropbox page which would ask me to login, and then it would be OK (I think dropbox website used to log you off after a while) but this time no matter what I do (clear browsing history/cookies/logins.../restarting the computer/...) it still prompts the error.

I also tried Repairing the files, but that changed nothing :(

I am not sure if this is an issue with Dropbox or 1Password but I guess Dropbox might have changed something.

PS: 1Password Anywhere does not work on my home computer either (checked Chrome and IE, through Dropbox website)
    PPS: I am using 1Password Anywhere on Linux (at work). My main 1Password application is on my Windows system at home (version 1.0.9.340).
    PPS: The WindowsPhone app syncs and works fine with the most recent version of my database (so I think whatever is the problem is with the Dropbox web access ...hmmmm)

Thanks for your time in advance :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alipsh,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. We've noticed that there is a problem with opening 1PasswordAnywhere right now and our developers are in talks with Dropbox to find out just what's going on here.

We'll do our best to have this up and running again as soon as possible!

• Scott Bale
    Scott Bale
    Community Member
    Options

As a workaround, I am just running a local http server. (This is on ubuntu linux, using whatever version of python came preinstalled).

In a terminal:

$ cd ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/
    $ python -m SimpleHTTPServer

then opened my browser to

http://0.0.0.0:8000/1Password.html

This discussion has been closed.