Missing Username on WordPress (selfhosted) user creation

Options
Jonathan Perrodin
Jonathan Perrodin
Community Member

I've had a recurring problem with 1P & WP. I've noticed when creating the admin account with the initial install, 1P grabs the email address & saves it as the username. Also while trying to recreate the problem, I noticed that 1P is just leaving the username field blank when adding new logins through the WP backend. I've tried this which was suggested by @1Password on Twitter which works, but doesn't solve the problem for future WP user creations.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jonathan!

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that you are saving a Login item on a different page than the one on which you are filling it. If so, I should point out that we always recommend saving Login items on the page where you intend to fill them (i.e. login page not registration/signup page) since 1Password's browser extensions "learn" the form fields on the page. If you save a Login on a registration page it may have completely different form fields or DOM structure. For the most reliable form filling we always recommend saving Logins on the page where you intend to fill them.

Might that apply to your situation, or have I misunderstood what you were describing?

• Jonathan Perrodin
    Jonathan Perrodin
    Community Member
    Options

You understand correctly. I'm confused then, how does one setup & save strong passwords if not when one is creating the account?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My workflow is usually:

1. Fill generated password on registration page. You can even do this by filling an Identity item. When 1Password fills an Identity item (your name, [email] address, etc.) it also generates a password and fills it on the page. Either way, a Generated Password item is saved when 1Password fills one on the page.
    2. At the site's login page, press ⌘\ to log in. The Generated Password is filled into the password item and 1Password prompts you to save a new Login item (presuming there is not already one saved for that domain with the same password). When you save a new Login item the Generated Password item is converted to a Login item, and 1Password learns all the form fields on the page for accurate filling.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.