Syncing Issues in build 4.5b34

warr
warr
Community Member

Split this off from here since it's not really related in technical problems

hey @MikeT,

I took some notes. a little bit scream stream of consciousness. I tried to be clear. Pun-typo not intended, but left in.

Trashing the beta, rebooted, downloaded a fresh app. didnt work. same error about the build. thankfully y'all updated today!

Aside: the pw for 1p in iCloud wasn't the master i had on the phone, but instead one of the ones i used on my mac. a little annoying. I wish I could set the 1p version to rule them all. ;) ok, actually, i did change the original pw, but that was months ago. And, I only half like that I can use different master passwords on each device.

ok, maybe that was for primary icloud container and not the beta container? Doesn't make sense, actually, there's data in the fresh install that isn't in the full release vs.

first time going to Sync > iCloud > nothing is synced. Clicked on icloud, slides to a black screen with only a Back "button". Do we call these "contextual menus" now? Click back, see the label say "Syncing with iCloud" then it slides to the black screen again without me doing anything. Cancelled that.

Attempted to Wifi Sync. Success with the new wifi sync interface. Yay! But no buttons or even contextual menus on the "Sync Now" scrren to lead me back home to catalog. Sliding works, though! But it only slides back 1 level to the "Choose your wifi sync computer" screen. No way to take me back home. No sliding. And there's a little red rectangle of pixels randomly at the top right corner. Oh, now it turned green. Weird.

I couldn't figure out how to back out to my catalog. So i closed the app then killed it.

I miss my new password. 20 char clustered so that I can type all of them with my left thumb.

so, on my mac, I mofidy the test login i created on my phone that was synced to my mac. On my mac, I removed a section i created on my phone called "Conflicts" that also contained a field. That's what I wanted to do originally, which was over-written.

On my phone I initiate a wifi sync. I did check to see if the mac also synced to icloud, it did. I also checked my phone to see if it wanted to sync to icloud. it didn't. See above, cause that's what still happening.

Wifi sync success. but i still can't back out of it. The green rectangle is more like a square now. 10px x 10x. so i kill it. again. i've been trying to be more positive lately, but apps still want me to kill kill killall.

OK, so after all that hubub, at least the modified entry syncs over to my phone correctly.

i need to sleep. It's not even that late.

Aside: Thanks for returning keyboard nav to 1Pm. So much more useful.

Comments

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

here's the screenshot of the Wifi Sync problem on iOS with green rectangle
    FWIW, I liked the weird red rectangle better.

• Thanks for the report @warr! Unfortunately that screen shot didn't come through. Could you try again?

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

screenshot link.
    Sorry about that.

• ig0r
    ig0r
    Community Member

guys, it seems I also have a problem with sync (it's dropbox in my case). The total number of items in the beta and releases differs (the beta has 1377 items while the release and the mac has 1513 or smth).

• ig0r
    ig0r
    Community Member

UPDATE: reinstalled the app on iPhone - the problem is gone, on iPad - it's OK. Sorry!

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member

@warr, I think the green/red rectangle is your battery charge icon, which explains why it changes colors.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@warr, I think the green/red rectangle is your battery charge icon, which explains why it changes colors.

I think I would agree with this, but its only a guess.

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

@thightower I could get behind the battery icon theory. I hope that's not what yall are focusing on.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Nah just trying to point out that its seems to be a valid point for the colors thats all.

As to syncing I cannot comment as I only use Dropbox. From what I read you used iCloud and or wifi only. So that leaves me out.

• Hi @warr,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. The 4.5 beta 34 has a completely new sync subsystem and we needed to get it out now because of the unexpected beta expiration issue in the iOS build. It wasn't supposed to expire until November later this year.

We wanted to let it bake more in the oven but since folks can't use the expired builds, we released a new build with some unfinished designs. We will be releasing several beta updates very soon.

Aside: the pw for 1p in iCloud wasn't the master i had on the phone, but instead one of the ones i used on my mac. a little annoying. I wish I could set the 1p version to rule them all. ok, actually, i did change the original pw, but that was months ago. And, I only half like that I can use different master passwords on each device.

In order to simplify the sync experience and to strengthen the security in the iOS app, it needs to be the same master password across all platforms. If we provide different master passwords, one of those have to be stored locally on the device, which is something we want to avoid at all costs.

ok, maybe that was for primary icloud container and not the beta container?

Nope, if you change the password, the iOS app will store both encryption keys to let you keep decrypting the data with both master passwords. However, once you reinstall the app, the original keys are gone, so you can only decrypt with the one you just pulled from iCloud.

Doesn't make sense, actually, there's data in the fresh install that isn't in the full release vs.

first time going to Sync > iCloud > nothing is synced. Clicked on icloud, slides to a black screen with only a Back "button". Do we call these "contextual menus" now? Click back, see the label say "Syncing with iCloud" then it slides to the black screen again without me doing anything. Cancelled that.

These are all early designs, we're still working on cleaning it up while adding a progress indicator, fix the blackout screen, and many more coming.

Attempted to Wifi Sync. Success with the new wifi sync interface. Yay! But no buttons or even contextual menus on the "Sync Now" scrren to lead me back home to catalog. Sliding works, though! But it only slides back 1 level to the "Choose your wifi sync computer" screen. No way to take me back home. No sliding. And there's a little red rectangle of pixels randomly at the top right corner. Oh, now it turned green. Weird.

Again, early designs, we're going to release several updates to improve everything.

so, on my mac, I mofidy the test login i created on my phone that was synced to my mac. On my mac, I removed a section i created on my phone called "Conflicts" that also contained a field. That's what I wanted to do originally, which was over-written.

That is weird. If it is just those items with the conflict section, then they're not being overwritten but rather a sync conflict has occurred. 1Password can't determine which item is newer on which side, so it merge the data in as a conflict. Generally, deleting the conflict section, adding something else to modify the data should then sync it back should work.

We'll keep a deeper look on what's going on with the conflict resolution system and improve it in the next few updates.

This discussion has been closed.