One-time password (OTP) is replaced by username value [Fixed in 1Password 4 extensions]

chazzunokuthunuchtec
chazzunokuthunuchtec
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

One of my logins has a username, a password, and then a one-time-password (OTP) which is generated by a hardware token. I created the new login for 1Password for Windows long ago, and it would fill in everything but the OTP. I recently had to change the password (via an account profile page, which has a different location on the domain from the actual login page), and I allowed 1Password browser assistant (in Firefox) to update the existing login. This removed my username (because only the password was updated on the said page) and then my login wouldn't fill-in the username. I went to the 1Password program and edited the login to contain a username. Then it filled that username in for both the username and the OTP. Why?

I deleted the login from 1Password and rebooted. I logged in and manually added the login to the 1Password for Windows main program. I get the same symptom. The login just has a name, location, username, and password. No other data. But when I use the browser extension it replaces the OTP (generated by the hardware token) with the username.

My workaround for this is to have it never submit the login, so I have a chance to re-do the OTP before I login. But it would be real nice if I knew how to have it not fill in data where the data does not belong.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting that, @chazzunokuthunuchtec‌. We'll see whether we can improve the behavior in 1Password 4 for Windows, which uses entirely different browser extension technology.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

Thank you. I will watch for that update.

In the meantime, is there any idea how I can modify the current login entry in 1Password for Windows to not fill in anything for the OTP? If my screenshot uploads as intended, we can see that the particular login I've selected has only a location, a username, and a password. I don't see what would cause this to try to fill in the username on the OTP field (which is used on the login page as a password field).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Can you click on the Edit button for that Login item, expand the window just enough to see all the fields listed, and post another (properly redacted) image?

Thanks!

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

Yes. I am at home now, so I will post when I get to work tomorrow.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

Attached is the login shown with the edit button having been clicked.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @chazzunokuthunuchtec‌.

What browser are you using, please, and what version of that browser?

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

I am using Mozilla Firefox 28.0. The company website is coded to be optimized for Firefox, else I would abandon Firefox for Chrome.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

Without knowing the exact URL, there's no way to be sure what's going on. I understand that may not be possible, though, so I'd like to ask you to join the 1Password 4 for Windows beta program, remove and replace your 1Password browser extensions, and let us know whether the problem persists.

Thanks!

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

I would be glad to, but the machine in question is a work machine and there is a policy that would not allow beta testing. I understand the implication on this. Curious: any ballpark time frame for the version 4? 2014 fall? 2015 winter? If not then I understand. I love the version for my iMac at home (I bought that personally, so no corporate constraints), and thus I anticipate the equivalent Windows version will be great.
    Has anybody thought about whether the Windows users will pay for the upgrade? I believe I can get that approved, else I'll pony up my own money when the time comes, because I like it so much.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thank you!

Here's the link to the beta program—https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html—so you can start working with it right away!

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

Curious: once it the Windows version is official, will I still be on beta? Else do you prefer I pay for the upgrade from version 3? I am glad to help a great company, but I don't know if the version 4 will be a paid upgrade or an automatic upgrade, and I'm not trying to slip one past you (although it would be great to get this working, which is why I'll use the beta).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

A 1Password for Windows license purchased any time in 2013 or later will entitle you to a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows when it's released.

• I have 1Password 4 for Windows, and I have cleared the SQLite and the Firefox profile, and properly updated the browser extensions in Firefox and also in Chrome. This is behaving how I hoped, where it leaves the OTP blank (as it should, because the OTP is generated by a hardware token) and it has the username and regular password as it should. Thank you.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec‌,

That's awesome! Thanks so much for coming back to this thread to let us know, we really wanted to know how it works for you on that site since we made a lot of improvements in how the 1Password 4 extension fills, especially how it fills only what it needs to and not touch anything else. The good news is that we have more coming soon for how it handles saving better as well.

Again, thank you!

This discussion has been closed.