1Password asks for my master password twice

Options
stefan1187
stefan1187
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Android

Hello,

My 1Password asks 2 times for the master password. After filling in the 1st time it says ' Validated ', the little vault icon turns green and then the same screen shows up again and then i need to fill in the master password again. Then it just works and i get access to my passwords. Is this a known issue? I'm running Android 4.2.2 .

Comments

• saad
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hey @stefan1187. We do have a small number of beta users that reported similar issues, thanks for letting us know you're experiencing this too. I'll pass on these details to our development team. To help us further, and if you don't mind, can you please answer the following questions:

• What device are you using?
    • Is your device rooted? If so, are you using a custom ROM?
    • Have you tried rebooting your Android device? Does it help?

Thanks so much for reporting this. :)

• stefan1187
    stefan1187
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Saad,

Thanks for you answer.
    Her are the answers on your question.

What device are you using? LG Nexus 5

Is your device rooted? If so, are you using a custom ROM? No it's not rooted

Have you tried rebooting your Android device? Does it help? Yes and after restarting the device the problem seems to be fixed

• saad
    Options

Interesting..thanks for answering my questions. I'll pass on this information to our developers. Please let us know if you see the same problem again.

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

could it be the same issue as this: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/22605 (only happening on low memory androids?)

• earmsby
    earmsby
    Community Member
    Options

This happened to me this morning too (after I was prompted to and did update to the latest version). I have a Moto X not rooted. Haven't restarted device since this but will post again if I have a chance to do that and test if it still requires a double sign in.

• earmsby
    earmsby
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, I did restart my phone and this double sign-in issue did not recur.

• stehlikc
    stehlikc
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't catch what the last build number was. This only happened to me once, but after entering the correct master password, I was immediately prompted to enter it again after the unlock animation.

• saad
    Options

Hi @earmsby. Thanks for reporting this issue. Were you being ask for your master password twice? Or did you get asked for your quick unlock code, and then the master password? Glad to hear rebooting your phone resolved this issue.

• saad
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey @stehlikc. Could you tell me a little more about the device and OS version you're using? Let me know if you experience similar problems again. Our developers are currently investigating into this issue.

• grfield
    grfield
    Community Member
    Options

I am also getting this issue on latest b16 and have experienced it in the past. Seems to be hard to reproduce but is very annoying (especially since my master password is very long). I am using HTC One with HTC 5.5 (Android 4.4.2). Can't even use PIN code on b16 now either.

• mverde
    Options

Hi @grfield,

We are still working to diagnose the double master password issue - it does not seem to happen consistently, despite our best efforts to reproduce it. While we don't yet have a fix for this, I can provide you with a workaround for the PIN issue.

It seems that when you first install 1Password and setup the PIN settings, the settings don't take effect until you exit the app. Since we changed the back button functionality recently so that it doesn't exit the app, it is likely that your PIN settings haven't been saved yet. In order to force the PIN settings to be saved and work correctly, you need either close 1Password from the recents list or unlock 1Password and tap exit in the overflow menu at the top right of the app. Once you exit the app and relaunch, you will be asked for your master password. After this the app should honour your PIN settings properly.

We hope to get these issues fixed soon. In the meantime, please let me know if the above steps help.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I just started testing the app today. The double master password happened to me as well. I've done at least twenty logins while learning the app and it only happened once. The device was not restarted.

Version 4.0.0b17 (Build 20140506) (19) Droid Razr M Android 4.1.2 1GB RAM 8GB ROM

Steve

• mverde
    Options

We have added a number of changes to the locking mechanism in 1Password in beta 18. Among several other improvements, this should resolve the issue of the master password screen sometimes appearing twice in a row. Please let us know if you continue experiencing this issue after updating to beta 18.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Michael,

Sorry, but I just received the double login again as I was about to do some research for you on another issue. I ran the app yesterday with no login issues and same thing this morning. Then it happened this evening. Very tough to nail down steps to reproduce.

Version 4.0.0b18 (Build 20140513) Droid Razr M Android 4.1.2 1GB RAM 8GB ROM

Steve

• mverde
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Steve,

That's disappointing to hear! It is very difficult to reproduce this consistently and that is part of what makes it so challenging to try to fix. I will have our development team continue looking into it.

Cheers,
    Michael

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

Michael, is there a service running in the background once the master password is entered? if not, then I assume that the master password is stored in the memory of the running 1password application, right? if my assumption is correct, then this would be a standard Android behaviour to kill background apps when it runs out of available memory. So you'd have this issue happening way more on low-memory Android devices than on the later models with more memory. this theory is consistent with the seemingly intermittent manifestation of issue in question. There are two ways to prevent it - have a notification icon to keep the app in the memory (not the best approach IMHO), or have a service running to keep the master password in memory...

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, my phone doesn't have many apps installed and of those just my anti-virus app runs in the background. So I generally have around half of my 1GB RAM available. I've had the double-login happen twice in the two days I've been testing the app.

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

On a fresh ROM, on a phone with 1GB RAM, video memory could take around 200MB, android system could take up to 300MB or more depending on version and ROM, keyboard 30MB, phone 30MB, google apps 50MB, home screen 50MB depending on app and contents, email services 40MB, antivirus 100MB, 1Password 12MB... we're already at 812MB.. then add the app you're switching to (browser?) and you'll get android's memory management tools working. (that's only for the RUNNING apps, not what's stored on the phone, as that's irrelevant)

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

With 1Password running, the Settings > Apps > Running screen indicates 442MB used and 381MB free.

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

Then I see no reason why Android system would kill the app in this case. However Android might see it differently ;-)

• mverde
    edited May 2014
    Options

Although it is an interesting suggestion, we don't believe that this particular issue is related to low available memory on the device. When we have been able to reproduce the issue, the app has remained in memory the whole time. This indicates that the app is not being terminated due to low memory conditions, but instead, the app is presenting one lock screen immediately after another. We will keep digging into this issue to try to identify the precise conditions that cause the app to trigger one lock immediately after the other.

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

Good stuff. I wonder if there are two different issues then! ;-)
    thanks guys for looking into it, I don't like these pesky intermittent issues either ;-)

• tiida
    tiida
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I don't know if this is the right place, but could not find an actual Thread for this issue. I often hve the same problem: 1Password on Android asks twice for the Master password. Restarting the device cannot fix it. One thing I noticed: everytime this problem occurs, 1Password is syncing data - or vice versa: everytime in the lock screen appears a Syncing message, I can be shure to be asked for the master password twice.

• saad
    Options

Hi @tiida. Thanks for letting us know you're experiencing this issue. Could you let us know if you are using the latest 4.1 version of 1Password? We addressed a similar issue in this update.

• tiida
    tiida
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    and thanks for your answer. Indeed, one day or so after my post I realized that there is a new version of 1password. Since then the issue didn't appear anymore.

• saad
    Options

I'm happy to hear you're not experiencing this issue after updating to 4.1. Thanks for confirming. :)

This discussion has been closed.