Syncing - item added on Mac not showing up on iPhone/iPad.

Options
Steven_Wagner
Steven_Wagner
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I updated to 1Password 4 yesterday and I can not get a login which I added on my computer to sync with my iPhone or iPad. When I added a login on my iPad, it synced to my phone but not my computer. I have tried both iCloud and Dropbox.

Comments

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm uncertain whether the sync bug mentioned here is the source of your issue, but it might be.

To the Agile crew: I'm using 1PW MAS 4.1.2, and if this sync bug will manifest itself in the forthcoming 4.2 MAS version (not yet published - as of this writing on 3/22 - in Apple's MAS), I'd like to put forward this 1PW MAS v4.2 (& MAS v4.2.1, if that also has the bug) be pulled back from going public. I would rather wait for a version that does not have this sync issue. ...Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steven_Wagner,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with syncing from 1Password on Mac to your iPhone and iPad. Which versions of 1Password are you using, which type of syncing (if any) is currently enabled, and do you want to use Dropbox or iCloud syncing? That information will help us know what to specifically suggest for fixing your problem.

@pbGuy: The next 1Password 4 update from the Mac App Store will not be released with syncing issues that existed in the 4.2/4.1.2 website updates.

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

Similar problem. I purchased and downloaded 1Password for the Mac and for the iPad over the weekend from the App Store. (I hope I didn't need to purchase both but that's what I did.) I am just getting started this morning. I've created a vault on the Mac, added a couple of logins (and by the way when I open the Citibank online banking website 1Password does not prompt me to add that to my list as it does when I open other web pages on the Mac). I've selected iCloud as a way of syncing on both devices and selected the same password for both. But when I open the app on the iPad it doesn't seem to recognize that I am trying to sync 1Password on my Mac laptop and my iPad. Not sure where to go from here. Also, since I'm new to 1Password, I'm wondering if new and secure passwords are being generated automatically or if I have to somehow prompt 1Password to do that.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnGreen,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting 1Password all synced up. Since the data you've stored so far is in your Mac and not your iOS device, let's reinstall 1Password 4 for iOS to see if it will pick up on your iCloud data:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the sync data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device

• Go to the Settings App on your iOS device and look in iCloud to ensure that you are logged in with the same account as you are on your Mac, and that the 'Documents and Data' setting is switched to 'ON'

• Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, 1Password should detect your data in iCloud. If it does not prompt you for your Master Password immediately, select 'I've used 1Password before' and 'sync via iCloud.'

Also, since I'm new to 1Password, I'm wondering if new and secure passwords are being generated automatically or if I have to somehow prompt 1Password to do that.

1Password will not create new passwords for you until you ask it to. Here's how to update your password using 1Password:

• Go to the "change password" page of the website (this location depends on the way the website is set up, but it's often under the account settings section).
    • Copy and paste your current password from 1Password into the ‘current password’ field (if there is one)
    • When you are presented with the fields to change your password, you can click the 1Password extension, and choose the password generator (the icon that looks like a combination lock) to create a custom random strong password.
    • Click the Fill button.
    • After filling it on the webpage, 1Password should then prompt you to update your saved login for this site.
    • If 1Password does not prompt you to update your Login, that strong password you just generated has been saved to your clipboard by default when you clicked 'Fill', so all you have to do is open your Login in 1Password and paste the new password in the appropriate field!
    • Please note, that new password is also saved under your Passwords tab automatically.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but I know 1Password can be a bit tricky to get used to at first, so I'm happy to help if you have any further questions :)

• JohnGreen
    JohnGreen
    Community Member
    Options

I had to try deleting and reinstalling 1Password twice from my iPad but the second time it worked. Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnGreen,

On @Megan's behalf, you're most welcome. It's great to hear her suggested worked for you, even if it took a couple tries. :)

Thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.