How can this happen?...some devices partially syncing, some OK

Options
mikebore
mikebore
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Three computers, two iPads and two iPhones all syncing by iCloud.

Just noticed that one computer, one phone and both iPads are at least two weeks out of date. Two computers and one iPhone are in sync and up to date.
Tried all the usual things to trigger update on the non-working devices, but changes made two weeks ago are not propagating.

Made a change just now on one of the working devices, which has propagated to the non working ones, but the changes made two weeks ago have not.

I tried completely uninstalling 1Password from one of the iPads (which says it removes all data). Reinstalled 1P and it has repopulated with the same mix of new and old data, i.e. todays change is there but the changes from two weeks ago are not.

It is as though iCloud is holding two sets of data.

My key question (I think) is How can I remove all data from the non working devices, so that I can then reinstall 1P and let it repopulate with the same data being used by the working devices?

I do love 1Password when its working, but have never come across such a high maintenance program. This kind of thing happens every few months, takes a few hours or days to sort out.....until the next time.

This time sorting out is being more stubborn so grateful for any clues.

Comments

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Success on one of the iPads. I uninstalled 1P completely (again). This time I shut the iPad completely off for 30 mins, rebooted it and reinstalled 1P and it has populated with the correct, latest iCloud data.

So maybe rebooting the iPad was the key difference from previous attempt.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore,

I'm sorry that iCloud syncing with 1Password hasn't been consistently reliable for you. iCloud is still very much a black box to us. Apple allows us to use the sync but doesn't allow us access to its inner workings, so 1Password has to sync on iCloud's terms.

Now that you've fixed it on one of your iPads have you tried anything yet to fix it on the other one? If there's anything we can help you with to get it working again please let us know.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks. I have been concentrating on the third Mac. On that I deleted the agile data from the ~/Library/Containers, expecting it repopulate with the correct up to date 1P data from iCloud, which it did except that it has only found 563 items compared to 608 on the other two computers (also a had problem making the prefs stick but they did after three restarts).

Any suggestion how to get the third computer with all 608 items?

Your reply implies that you can't properly support iCloud syncing, and I can't see Apple helping me solve 1Password problems, so would I be better switching to the Dropbox syncing (and hence Agile Store version, since only reason I have stayed with the backward MAS version is because you have said elsewhere thet the Store version can't guarantee iCloud support).

Is the overall 1Password experience more reliable and supportable with the Agile version and Dropbox, than the MAS version and iCloud ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore,

I'm so sorry to hear that iCloud is being difficult for you here. We are happy to provide support for iCloud and help you work through this issue! As @sjk mentioned above, we're subject to a few restrictions by Apple, in that we can't directly initiate a sync like we can for Dropbox. In general though, a complete sync re-set should give iCloud the kickstart that it needs and get all your items synced up on all devices:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

Please do let me know how this complete re-set goes. If you're still seeing a data discrepancy after this, please let us know and we'll of course investigate further.

As to your question about reliability, many users have had a perfectly smooth experience with iCloud, and in most cases, this re-set will get things behaving properly. Our developers are committed to making sync a simple and reliable experience across all options. But if you would prefer to switch to Dropbox, that is of course your choice, and I'd be happy to help you with that as well. :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Yes thanks that has worked. I had effectively done the equivalent manually, on the iPad by uninstalling the app, and the Mac by deleting the data file from the user library. The key is was allowing time for iCloud things to happen, and rebooting.

Can I suggest that the wording in 1Password at the step called "Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync" is reworded".

As it is, it seemed to me like I would be removing my data from iCloud, but actually I would just be removing my iCloud data from this machine, which is very different. I bottled out at reading "Remove data from iCloud" which sounded to me like it would empty the cloud, hence empty other devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore,

I'm so glad to hear that you're all sorted out here, and I very much appreciate your feedback here.

In fact, the 'removing data from iCloud' step is doing exactly that: deleting your database from the sync store. However, it's actually nothing to be worried about. In 1Password 3, your data was only stored in one place, so deleting your data from Dropbox was the equivalent of completely deleting your database. With 1Password 4, we've added some extra protection: your data is always stored locally (we call it the 'local store') and then a copy is made and moved to the sync location of your choice (the 'sync store'). 1Password 4 will keep both of these copies updated when a change is made. So removing your data from the 'sync store' is simply a chance for 1Password to make a fresh copy of the local data.

I hope this helps to explain things for you. I can understand why removing the data would make you a bit hesitant. But we've got you covered here. :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanations.

I still think "remove my data from iCloud" is the wrong wording. My first thought when I read this was that this would remove my data from the Apple Servers. If I had read "delete my database from the local sync store" I would not have hesitated, as this was exactly what I wanted to happen.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore‌,

"Remove my data from iCloud" is removing your data from the Apple Servers (the sync store). It is the .sqlite file (your local store), within the Library that remains.

In any case, it is clear that re-thinking the wording here might go a long way to helping users understand what is happening when sync is disabled. Thanks so much for your feedback here, I'll be sure to pass this along to our developers.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Now I am totally confused (or don't understand how iCloud syncing works at all)!

My simple model, which seemed to make sense, was that my 1Password data exists on the Apple Servers, where it is accessed by my Macs and iDevices, which also keep a local copy, which each device keeps in sync with the Apple server copy.

What I thought was happening on my faulty Mac and iDevices, was that the local copy was in error, and that I have been solving the problem by deleting the faulty local copy, so that 1Password could repopulate from the Apple servers, where my data was good (since three devices were up to date and working). This fits with my simple model above.

You are saying that when I "Remove my Data from iCloud" while on one of the faulty devices, it removes my data from the Apple servers but leaves the faulty local sqlite copy in place. Which is the exact opposite of what makes sense to me.

So where does the good data from to repopulate the faulty devices (as it has done)? and if the good devices suddenly see my data deleted from the Apple servers, why don't they sync their local stores with the now deleted Apple server and remove all data?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore,

I do apologize for confusing you. I think the trouble here is the understanding of where the 'fault' exists. Often the syncing process is where data can get tangled, so even though you are seeing a data discrepancy on one device, the problem is that the sync solution (iCloud in this case) hasn't properly synced your data from your other devices. We can update this device's local store by deleting the copy of the data in the sync store. When sync is re-enabled, 1Password will create a new copy of your database for the sync store, which will then sync to all devices and update any local stores that have missing data.

and if the good devices suddenly see my data deleted from the Apple servers, why don't they sync their local stores with the now deleted Apple server and remove all data?

Think of it this way: your data is wrapped in a package. (In 1Password 4, with iCloud, it's an 'opvault' package.) When we remove your data from iCloud, we are not just taking the data from inside this package, but the package itself. If we left an empty opvault package in iCloud, 1Password could see that and sync the empty package into your database. But because there is no package at all, when you tell 1Password to sync to iCloud, it will simply re-create this package.

I do hope this helps to explain things. Syncing can be a bit of a complicated process, so please do let me know if you have any further questions, I'll do my best to clear things up!

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that makes more sense, and what doesn't is probably down to terminology. Anyway I know what to do next time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore,

I'm so glad to hear that things are slowly starting to make sense. It's a tricky process, sometimes I have to think a bit to get my head around things too! In any case, you're right: resetting sync is a good way to get things behaving properly. (Although I hope things go smoothly for you from now on!)

• PRW
    PRW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I had a similar problem. The iMac had an updated set of data including new Logins that weren't appearing on the iCloud synced IOS devices (iPad2 and iPhone5S). What I've just done is to sync the IOS devices per WiFi sync so now everything is there. Should I still go through the routine to delete the iCloud package and then reinstate iCloud syncing again? If so, how do I do this as I have a 3-way sync?

• PRW
    PRW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    I've started by turning off the sync on the iPad2 then on the iPhone5 and finally on the iMac. Now I've put the sync on the iMac back to iCloud again. When I look in the System Prefs. under iCloud and show the details for storage, I see that the app is now called "one password". Previously it said "1Password" so maybe this has something to do with the sync breaking down?

• PRW
    PRW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Status is now that both IOS devices are syncing with each other (tested by adding/removing favourites) but I see no synced data on the iMac. The iMac has a login that the IOS devices don't have and the favourites haven't changed. I don't see a way to "force sync" the iMac like I can in the Settings on the IOS devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PRW,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble getting things synced up! What we want to do here first is completely reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

Please let me know how this goes - if you're still having trouble after re-setting, we'll investigate further!

• baldyauldeejit
    baldyauldeejit
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Mac and iPhone to sync correctly. I've followed these instructions to the letter and still my iPhone entries are incorrectly displaying information that has been edited or deleted on my Mac.

For example, in 1Password for Mac I added two custom entries – labels and strings – to one of my logins, saved the login, then went back and edited the login to change the string in each custom entry from 'text' to 'password'. Everything displays correctly on my Mac. But on my iPhone I now have duplicate entries: the original entries with the strings as 'text' and duplicate entries with the strings as 'password' – despite deleting iCloud data, as detailed above, twice.

To add insult to injury, I'm also seeing 'Conflicts' on my iPhone which are not displaying in 1Password on my Mac. 1Password on both Mac and iPhone are latest versions (not beta).

What on earth is going on?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @baldyauldeejit,

I'm sorry that iCloud syncing 1Password data between your Mac and iPhone has been giving you so much trouble. Since resetting syncing hasn't helped, twice, we'd like to help you directly in email to get it functioning properly. To do that please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't want to start a new thread since this one has been helpful to me. I am attempting to sort out the sync issues I have using the clearly written instructions above. I am presently working through the process to reset my iCloud sync using the instructions from Megan. However, this has lead me to a question about wifi sync and/or iTunes sync.

To be clear, from what I understand from the info above, if I set up some login items, credit card info and so forth, all of that will sync between the devices?

What interests me the most is the use of the Secure Notes. I'd like to attach some documents to a secure note and then have this available within 1P4. For example, an image (jpg), a pdf file and text documents. I am assuming these attachments will become part of the sync. As such, I will need to watch my accumulation of these files as my iCloud (or Dropbox) storage fills up.

That leads me to the wifi or iTunes sync.

What happens here? Do the attachments get synced directly? This would eliminate the storage issue.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @OlMike,

Wi-Fi sync doesn't currently support attachment syncing. Our developers are hoping to add this functionality soon, but I can't provide much more detail than that at this time.

iTunes File Sharing is not a 'sync', in that it will involve manually moving your 1Password.agilekeychain data file from one device to the other. It must be done manually each time your data is updated. But, it does include attachments.

• hellfried
    hellfried
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same problem of syncing between my iMac and my MBA. I have the latest database on my iMac and the MBA just does not sync. Very nearly got locked out of my banking website as I was trying to login using the outdated password on my MBA!
    Looking at the steps above I agree that checking the "remove data from iCloud" sounds pretty scary. The following RED message is even more ominous. Please see attachment below. So is it really safe??

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @hellfried,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with iCloud syncing 1Password data between your iMac and MBA.

Looking at the steps above I agree that checking the "remove data from iCloud" sounds pretty scary. The following RED message is even more ominous.

Like your forum avatar? Just kidding; he looks adorable. :)

Were @Megan's explanations in posts #7, #9, #11 helpful for lessening the scariness and ominousness?

So is it really safe??

It certainly won't remove any data from 1Password local store databases, only the iCloud sync store copies. From post #9:

"Remove my data from iCloud" is removing your data from the Apple Servers (the sync store). It is the .sqlite file (your local store), within the Library that remains.

The "… remove it from all your devices…" part of the warning message sounds more drastic than it actually is.

It's on our agenda to clarify sync configuration messages and improve its documentation.

Please let us know if you need any further help with getting any 1Password syncing you're doing working properly.

• hellfried
    hellfried
    Community Member
    Options

OK so after I checked the delete from server box and disabled syncing from my MBA, a pop up message came up on my iMac saying that there was a problem. I clicked on fix and now I can't log into my icloud account via my email client Sparrow. What a mess! And it has not rectified my original MBA non syncing problem one bit. Looks like I will be going back to dropbox from now.

• hellfried
    hellfried
    Community Member
    Options

How can I get a copy of the latest database from icloud and import it to my dropbox?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hellfried‌

I'm so sorry for the trouble you've been having here. Once you've disabled iCloud sync, you can sync your database on your Mac to Dropbox by following these instructions.

The instructions for enabling Dropbox on your iOS devices can be found here.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.