4.5 B53 Failed to sync login item [Mostly resolved now in latest betas]

Options
rolfl
rolfl
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

B53 Failed to sync login item created on Win.

Item showed up right away on app store iOS version.

B53 sync status said it was synced n sec ago, hitting sync now seem to make the sync go through the motions, no new item >:P

Tried killing B53, still no sign of the login item.

Finally worked by disabling/re-enabling dropbox.

Comments

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

Yup, same issue I've reported on B52, expect it to do the same on B53 until they announce a fix, happening to quite a few if not all of us?

How come AppStore version Dropbox sync just works?

• Thanks for the reports folks, we are aware of this issue and looking into it.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

@Fedorov‌, sync has been reimplemented in the beta (to add multi-vault support, etc.), so there are a lot of changes from the App Store version. Sync is a pretty complicated feature for any app, let alone one like 1Password which must sync many different kinds of data via different services. So it's expected to run into issues like this during testing.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ethansisson‌ - fully appreciate we expect to have issues on beta, that's the point :)
    Yea I can't begin to imagine how complex the sync code must be with iCloud, Dropbox, multiple devices

It's almost there! Keep up the great work and beta updates!

• Hey everyone. We've had another report of this problem cropping up. Are there any other details you can think of that might be helpful? Does it happen after a day? Right away after setting up syncing? Is there anything you can do to coerce it into working besides resetting your sync setup? Do changes from you iOS device appear on your Mac? Thanks!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni It happens when I make a change on my Mac. I rarely make changes on my iOS device so can't advise further.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @HRD,

Which version of 1Password for Mac are you using?

Thank you!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Rad I am using 1Password 4 Version 4.3.BETA-8 (430008)

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @HRD,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

We are trying to reliably reproduce the issue using the latest Mac and iOS betas with Dropbox sync on the primary vault.

Please let us know if you have any other configuration.

Cheers!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Rad that is the only configuration I have.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

I'll add a new Login item on the latest Windows beta version like I had done previously and see if I'm still getting the issue of it not appearing on iOS betas.
    I'll try this soon as I get home tonight

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

@Fedorov I did what you suggested earlier and it didn't sync to the beta on iOS, only to the stable version, so I conclude there is a bug.

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member
    Options

I created two new items - a login and a Secure Note on my Mac (4.3BETA-7), and both synced (Dropbox) with iPhone 4.5b55. When I deleted the items on the Mac, they were also deleted on the iPhone.

• Thanks for the updates everyone. @HRD, even though you rarely make changes on iOS could you possibly pick an item and make some innocuous change to it (like adding to the notes field) and see if that syncs from your iOS device to your computer?

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Just so you know: I've installed b55 and the problem persists.
    The app tells me it synced through dropbox, but I'm still missing 11 items (recently added on my Mac).
    I can hit Sync again and it does reset the "timer" (Last synced xxx seconds ago), but nothing seems to happen nd I sure don't get the new items.

Corentin

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Corentin,

Please make sure that the Mac app is syncing properly to Dropbox and to the right 1Password.agilekeychain file.

To do this, please go to Preferences > Sync and click on "Change Syncing...", then "Disable Sync" and enable sync once again.

Also, please close 1Password for iOS and launch it again.

Do you see the newly added items in iOS now?

Cheers!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni I created a login on iOS and can confirm that it didn't sync to the Mac version nor the stable iOS version.

Hope you solve it soon.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, done further testing between Windows beta and iOS beta of 1Password....

Created a new login item on Windows called "Test Login", User: test, Password: password (secure eh?!)
    I then logged into my dropbox account in google chrome and used 1Password Anywhere to verify that the Windows beta had sync'd this new item across to dropbox - it was fine.

Launched B55 on iPhone - no new item :(

Disabled Dropbox and added again, item count went from 164 to 165 almost immediately.
    I then renamed this login on iPhone to "Test Login Edited" and also added some text in the note field.

Windows beta showed these changes as soon as I unlocked it.
    On Windows I renamed it to "Test Login Edited on Windows" and added a new character into the notes field

Unlocked B55 on iPhone and the changes were there.

So, don't know about Mac version issues as I only have Windows but I know my Windows version syncs to/from dropbox just fine.
    B55 on iPhone appears to sync fine once you have DISABLED the Dropbox sync and added it again.

Hope this helps!

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member
    Options

I should have added in my earlier post, in case it makes a difference, that rather than simply updating from b54, I removed it completely and then installed b55.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

That's why it worked for you. I expect my b55 to work now that I've disabled and re-added sync but when it next upgrades to b56 the same will happen again, sync will appear to be working, in sync settings it tells you when it last synced but it's not actually working properly until you either do what I've done or you remove the beta completely and install the new beta

• This is all great information everyone, thank you! We are working hard to figure out what the cause might be.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

@Rad I'm positive that 1Password on my Mac is syncing properly. It is syncing just fine with the regular version of 1Password on iOS and with my other Mac. I only have the problem in the beta version (and I only use one 1Password keychain).

Again, the beta app connected just fine (since it got all the entries I previously had). It's just not getting the new ones.

Corentin

• Good news folks, we've found it and we've fixed it! Beta 57 will require you to set up syncing again, but after that you should be good. The bug was actually an extension of one that we fixed a few betas back. There was a case that we didn't consider, making it look like syncing was working when in fact it was not. Do let us know if you see any more wonkiness in this area.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni Bingo. I created a new login on my Mac, iPad and iPhone, and sync is now working as it should. Well done.

• Good news!

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear, can I just add though that when upgrading to this beta you are showing this new sync error message and forcibly disabling Dropbox so now that I've re-enabled it on this beta I'd expect it to work.

The true test of the fix is on your next beta after this one, when we all upgrade that is when we need to see if syncing is working and not requiring disable and setting up again.

I'll test syncing between iPhone, iPad and Windows on this b57 which I'm confident will work cos I've just enabled Dropbox. B58 upgrade will be the true test for this fix I believe as sync should then continue to work after an upgrade :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Fedorov,

Yes, if there is a real problem, we will turn off the sync in your settings, and that's the same experience on the Mac side as well.

It may be normal to see that message during the current betas as we're still improving the sync migration process. This new one-time process is to ensure the upgrade from the 1Password 4.3 app carries over the sync settings properly to the new 4.5 version, which contains a lot of major changes.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation Mike, testing more on sync later

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

B61 feedback... Added 2 new logins on Windows beta version. Opened on iOS b61 and both came across just fine and I had not disabled and setup dropbox when updating b60>b61 :)

I renamed one of the login titles on iPhone and saw the change in Windows.

I edited the login title on Windows and saw it change almost immediately in the iPhone version.

Not seen any issues so far, looking good!

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Fedorov‌,

Thank you so much for letting us know that your items sync without any issues now :-)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.