Need option besides DropBox

Options

DropBox just added Condoleezza Rice to their board which concerns me quite a bit considering her past actions impacting individuals privacy. I will be canceling all of my DropBox accounts (both paid and free) and will need another option for 1Password.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password for Windows version 4 will support Wi-Fi Sync.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you're interested in working with 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, you can sign up here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

As @svondutch writes, it includes an option to sync manually over a temporary wi-fi connection to the 1Password app on your mobile device.

• roncri
    roncri
    Community Member
    Options

Which is all very good if I'm at home but if I'm out of the country on business, this won't work. Are there any plans to offer to sync to another third party cloud service provider besides DropBox? This was actually something I inquired into a couple of years ago but with the recent DropBox announcement has taken on a greater urgency.

I love 1Password and have purchased it not only for myself but several members of my family and have promoted it to my co-workers. However, if it comes down to 1Password+DropBox or using some other password manager that doesn't require DropBox, I'll need to switch.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We may be able to consider other options in a future release, but there are no active plans to add sync options to 1Password for Windows beyond the wi-fi option already mentioned.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are there any plans to offer to sync to another third party cloud service provider besides DropBox?

1Password for Windows and Mac do support other cloud service providers such as OneDrive and Google Drive. However, when you bring a mobile device into the mix, then I'm afraid Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync are your only options.

• roncri
    roncri
    Community Member
    Options

That's to bad. I'd love to be able to use OneDrive as my sync option for all devices but I might be a little biased since I work in the Office group at Microsoft. :)

• cpuffer
    cpuffer
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for a cross-platform storage solution besides Dropbox. In addition the hiring of Rice, Dropbox has been pretty shoddy on the security, privacy front in general. I just closed my Dropbox accounts today. Windows has iCloud access, though I cannot get it to work reliably myself. Could that be used? Anyway, I do look forward to WiFi sync as that may do exactly what I need. But yeah, other online storage options, iCloud for Windows.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't know the details, @cpuffer, but I understand that Apple doesn't provide the API functions in Windows that we would need if we were to use iCloud for sync'ing.

To start working with beta builds of 1Password 4 for Windows (including the option to sync manually over a temporary wi-fi connection to the 1Password app on your mobile device), please sign up here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Windows has iCloud access, though I cannot get it to work reliably myself. Could that be used?

I'm afraid there is no iCloud SDK for Windows developers (yet)

• cpuffer
    cpuffer
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. Got it. Just throwing that out there. I'll sign up for the beta newsletter. Cheers.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

If Microsoft didn't neuter the OneDrive client on mobile devices then we could just use the local file sync which would automatically move everything anyway. For some reason they think I only care about uploading my photos from my phone (something I've never been interested in although I'm sure many are)

This discussion has been closed.