1Password keeps asking my wife for My Master Password.

Options

My wife just bought 1Password for herself. During setup she says she is not allowed to set up a new account but is asked for my Master Password. Is she not able to set up her own account with her own Master Password?
Rich

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

She is, indeed.

It sounds like she's logging in to the same Windows account as you, though, which means 1Password has no way of knowing that she's a different person. If you use the same Windows account, you'll need to create a separate 1Password data folder (on the File menu) for her; it'll have its own master password, and the two of you will have to remember to switch back and forth between hers and yours. If you go with that model, remember these important points:

• The extensions included in the current version of 1Password for Windows will always save new Login items to whatever 1Password data folder was most recently opened in the main 1Password program, so you'll want to keep that in mind as you switch between them, to make sure Login items get saved to the correct 1Password data folder.

• The 1Password app on a mobile device will always sync with whatever 1Password data folder in your Dropbox account was most recently opened by the main 1Password program on your PC, so be sure to open and unlock the correct 1Password data folder on your PC before you launch 1Password on your mobile device, triggering a Dropbox sync; otherwise, the mobile app will merge items from your 1Password data folders, and that merged data will be sync'ed back to your PCs...a potential mess.

It's a lot simpler if you use separate Windows accounts, because 1Password will be able to tell you apart. :)

I hope that helps, Richard. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Richard Hagan
    Richard Hagan
    Community Member
    Options

I really do not use 1Password on my wife's PC but occasionally I will. Right now iPassword is setup for both and I see what you mean about switching. Want I really would like is for my wife to have her own separate account. She even bought a copy for herself but she said when she ran it she was not given the option of setting it up separately. I really would like my account separate and for her to have a separate account. How can see accomplish that?
    Rich

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The easiest solution is probably to set her up with a separate Windows login account (and a separate Dropbox account, if she wants to sync her 1Password data to any other computers or devices). Then she can log in to her Windows account, and launch 1Password. If it treats her as a new installation, she can create a 1Password data folder (either in the default location or in her Dropbox folder); if it prompts her for your master password, she can choose File > New 1Password Data Folder and create it either in the default location or in her Dropbox folder.

Let us know how it goes, Richard.

• justmesuz
    justmesuz
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue. I purchased a family license so my husband can have his own password account separate from mine but when he attempts to install on his Windows (7) machine it ask for my master password and does not give him an option to create his own account after he has entered the family license number. I use 1Password on a Mac (using PW3 still) and my droid and will be installing on a new PC this week. How do I set him and my daughter with their own data files and master passwords?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do they log into separate Windows accounts?

• justmesuz
    justmesuz
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Only the Win 8 computers require logging into Windows accounts. Your answer in my other post works fine. Thank you for your help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to be of assistance!

This discussion has been closed.