Unable to sync, lost all data on iPad

Options
bjs1987
bjs1987
Community Member

Running 1PW for iPad 3.7.2 on my ancient Gen-1 iPad. Running 1Password 4.1.2 on my Mac with OSX Mavericks. Tried to set up Dropbox sync and finally realized that can't be done with the old iPad. In the course of doing that, all my data disappeared from my iPad.

Read a bunch of instructions in this forum that said I need to reinstall 1PW version 3 on my Mac and then sync with my iPad from there, and then somehow connect version 3 with version 4 in a WiFi sync. Confused? So am I.

Here is where I am: I reinstalled 1PW version 3.8.21 on my Mac, and followed the instructions to sync it with my iPad. It LOOKS like its syncing, and even shows a status of how many items have been installed. But there is no data in my iPad. Not a single login of the 400+ that are on my Mac. I've done this twice now, with the same result.

Fortunately, all my data is still safe and sound on my computer, but it just isn't getting to my iPad. Any suggestions? Can you point me to the most complete set of instructions available on how to do this? I've seen a couple of different versions, and they are both pretty bare-bones, so I wonder if I just missed something.

And assuming I am ever able to get my data into the iPad, then exactly how do I link Version 3 and Version 4 of 1PW together so that changes I make in V.4 get put into V.3 so that I can continue to update the iPad?

Finally, I get a message when I open V.3 about needing a license key or else I'm limited to 20 items. What's that about?

Thanks for any help you can send my way. I've been using 1PW for years and have never had any trouble with it. But this is making my iPad unusable since I have used 1PW to generate those great strong passwords for all those sites and there is no way to login unless I'm sitting at my computer to look up the passwords, which misses the whole point of using 1PW to begin with. Sad.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bjs1987‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting your data synced to your iPad. It sounds like you've been doing just about everything right here. I'll go through the steps again (just in case someone else finds this thread):

• Install 1Password 3 for Mac by downloading from here: legacy versions of 1Password 3. This will give you a free 30-day free trial of the software. Simply email our team support@ agilebits .com with your 1Password 4 purchase information, and we'd be happy to add a version 3 license to your account.
    • Use Dropbox or Folder Sync to keep 1Password 3 for Mac in sync with 1Password 4 for Mac
    • Use Wi-Fi Sync for 1Password 3 to sync 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS.

We have a Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide to help you through some of the most common errors with Wi-Fi sync.

This set-up should keep you synced up. Please let me know where in the process you are running into trouble and we can move forward from there. :)

• bjs1987
    bjs1987
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, things just keep getting more and more confusing. Should I just delete 1Password 4 entirely and go back to using 1Password 3 since apparently NEITHER my iPad NOR my iPhone 5 is going to sync with v.4? I used v.3 for a couple of years and it worked like a charm. Now, with v.4, nothing works. Nothing.

The sync with WiFi option is simply absent from 1PW v. 4 on my Mac and that's what I was using, very happily, until you changed everything. It apparently got replaced by "sync with folder" but there is no "sync with folder" option on my iPhone or my iPad. And although there is a "sync with iCloud" option on the Mac, I don't see it on either my iPhone or my iPad.

If you're going to make all these changes, at least have a little consideration for those of us who don't want to spend hours and hours and hours trying to figure all this out. I bitterly BITTERLY regret upgrading to v.4 on my Mac.

In fact, I may just look for a different password manager entirely since this is just so frustrating. Your instructions don't seem to match what I see on my computer screen or my devices. My iPhone is no longer syncing, and I still don't have anything at all on my iPad.

Boo. Hiss.

• bjs1987
    bjs1987
    Community Member
    Options

Too confusing. Looking for another option. If I could afford to go out and get a new iPad, I would, but that's not an option. I don't understand why I should need to have TWO versions of your software on my Mac. Also don't understand why my iPhone, running the newest IOS, isn't syncing with v.4. And too annoyed to try to figure it out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bjs1987,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated here. If you let me know where in the instructions things are getting tangled up I'd be happy to help walk you through the process in a bit more detail.

I would also like to mention that Wi-Fi sync is not gone from version 4. You can access it in the Window > Wi-Fi Sync menu. The problem is that since we've re-written Wi-Fi sync for version 4, it is no longer compatible with 1Password 3 for iOS, which is why we need to use 1Password 3 for Mac as an intermediary here. I know it's a bit of a process to get set up, but once it's running, it should be nearly seamless to maintain. :)

Please let me know if I can help you out here!

This discussion has been closed.