Chrome extension - which one?

Options

The 1 Password application keeps telling me that the chrome plug-in is not supported by windows. I suspect that this was installed in my windows chrome browser when I installed the chrome plug-in on my Mac, since I use the same google login on both machines.

So I deleted the plugin, and realized that there are 3 chrome extensions listed. it appears that one is mac only, and that leaves 2, one full version and one Beta version. Which is the one I should be using?

Thanks.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The sure way to get the extension that's compatible with your version of 1Password for Windows is to launch the main program, click on the Preferences tool, select the Browsers tab, and click the "install" button next to the browser for which you want to enable (or update) the 1Password extension.

On the web page that appears in that browser, if the "Enable Betas" link is enabled, click it to get the latest version of any update we're developing.

The problem almost certainly occurred because you have Chrome's extension-sync feature enabled, so the 1Password 4 extension from your Mac was copied to Chrome on Windows. As you discovered, the 1Password 4 extension for Chrome on the Mac doesn't work with 1Password for Windows. We're working on version 4 of 1Password for Windows, but for now you'll need to disable Chrome's extension-sync feature, uninstall the 1Password extension in Chrome on your PC, and re-install the compatible extension from within 1Password for Windows. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

If you're interested, you can sign up here to work with beta builds of 1Password 4 for Windows, instead: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• lcotner
    lcotner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I had tried that previously, but I must have had remnants of the old plug-in still on my windows machine, because when I linked to the plug-in from the application, I got the same error.

Completely removed the plug-in again, ran the link from the 1Password application, and it worked. Thanks for the info.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That’s great news, @lcotner—thanks for letting us know!

• okinopolytrans
    okinopolytrans
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to add some clarifying language to the error message on windows? I've used your product for some time, but with the recent Heartbleed issues, I doubled down on password security. Sure enough, I did most of my work on my new mac, but I don't constantly know your version number, so when I reenabled the plugin on windows, I just got an error message. Everything you say makes sense in this forum, but the error message seemed to say "1Password doesn't work for Windows Chrome. Go delete it and unsync extensions. End of message." When in fact you meant "1Password 4, the version installed here, doesn't work on Windows Chrome. But the old version still works. Try reinstalling it from the app, then unsync extensions so this doesn't happen again." Some extra language helps a floundering user.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Is it possible to add some clarifying language to the error message on windows?

add MORE language to this message?

When in fact you meant "1Password 4, the version installed here, doesn't work on Windows Chrome. But the old version still works. Try reinstalling it from the app, then unsync extensions so this doesn't happen again."

@DBrown maybe @okinopolytrans is right and we need to re-phrase this thing.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe the only thing that's slightly off is the statement that "the 1Password 4 extension is not compatible with Windows at this time." Certainly, the 1Password 4 extension works fine in Windows, and it works fine with Chrome...but you have to be using 1Password 4 for Windows. I believe the more accurate statement would be that it's incompatible with the version of 1Password that you're using if you see that message.

Most important, though, is that the message is useful in providing the precise steps you need to follow to solve the problem. I wouldn't know what to change that wouldn't make it less useful.

(...and no, I didn't write it. :D )

Here's how I reply when someone reports this problem:

It sounds like you have Chrome's extension-sync feature enabled, so the 1Password 4 extension from your Mac was copied to Chrome on Windows. Unfortunately, the new 1Password 4 extension for Chrome on the Mac doesn't work with 1Password for Windows. We're working on version 4 of 1Password for Windows, but for now you'll need to disable Chrome's extension-sync feature, uninstall the 1Password extension in Chrome on your PC, and re-install the compatible extension from within 1Password for Windows.

Again, I think the detailed steps in the dialog box shown above are very helpful!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

The error message is incorrect. The wrench icon has been replaced with a hamburger icon for Chrome's settings menu.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

LOL

That's the first time I've heard it referred to as a hamburger. Cute!

This discussion has been closed.