New install won't pick up Dropbox sync

Options

I just purchased 1Password, installed it first on my Macbook Air, then synced it to my Android phone successfully. All seemed well until I installed on my PC (Win 8.1).

It installed fine, but is not syncing to the file in my Dropbox. When 1Password first started, it did not see that I had a Dropbox file. After getting the program open, I tried to unlock the file in my Dropbox, but it will not accept the master password (and yes, I'm sure I'm entering it correctly). Dropbox on my PC has synced, and in 1Password's settings, it looks like it is pointed to the right file.

I'm really disappointed that it's giving me trouble right off the bat. Suggestions?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

There's no known issue with Dropbox sync'ing in 1Password for Windows. I've been sync'ing own 1Password data between Macs and PCs for years without a hitch.

Does the 1Password data folder you're trying to open have a ".agilekeychain" extension?

• JeanBees
    JeanBees
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the file had the .agilekeychain extension.

The good news is that I got things working yesterday by uninstalling 1Password on both my PC and my Mac, and deleting the entire 1Password folder from Dropbox (no data there yet that I don't have elsewhere). I then re-installed it on the PC first, and then the Mac. Everything seemed to be working fine at that point: the file synced data to both machines, regardless of which machine I made changes on.

Then I changed the master password on the PC. (For the reinstall, I used a "testing" password to make sure things were working properly.)

Neither my Mac nor my Android phone would respond to the new password. After I changed the master password on the Mac too, things seemed to be working again. My Android phone would not respond to the new master password, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and that also seems to be working OK now.

Is it intentional that I have to change the password on each machine, rather than the new master password working for the file?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, changing the master password has to be replicated on each platform.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

changing the master password has to be replicated on each platform.

I believe this problem has been fixed in the latest Mac beta version:

• JeanBees
    JeanBees
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know! I like the program so far, now that I've gotten things working. :-)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

UPDATE: My earlier response was incorrect. :^o

I should have written that 1Password for Windows has always managed to convey an updated master password to 1Password running on the other platforms, as the latest Mac beta build is now able to do.

Sorry for my confusion!

This discussion has been closed.