Is the Chrome extension different for Windows than Mac?

Options

The Chrome extension on my Mac works beautifully. On the PC...not so much. Dumb question...are they different applications? I assumed Chrome was Chrome, but maybe not?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Chrome is Chrome, but 1Password 1 for Windows is not 1Password 4 for Mac. :)

It sounds like you have Chrome's extension-sync feature enabled, so the 1Password 4 extension from your Mac was copied to Chrome on Windows. Unfortunately, the new 1Password 4 extension for Chrome on the Mac doesn't work with 1Password for Windows.

If you'd like, you can join the folks working with 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development; otherwise, you'll need to disable Chrome's extension-sync feature, uninstall the 1Password extension in Chrome on your PC, and re-install the compatible extension from within 1Password for Windows.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, my lack of detail led you down the wrong path. Let me be more specific. I use 1password in Chrome on Windows and Mac. They "work" in both. I do not log into Chrome so I am not syncing extensions. My question is around performance of the app between the two systems. On the Mac, the app seems to function so nicely. It saves and populates passwords effortlessly, it recognizes when I'm changing a password and updates the existing login record as opposed to saving a new file, the generator works perfectly and fills in both the first and repeat new password fields. Then we get to the Windows Chrome version and I feel like suddenly I'm working with the extension's distant, drunk cousin twice removed. I have to hold his hand through everything, fix all the mistakes it makes, and basically just end up using the application instead of the extension to make my updates. I was just surprised at the drastic difference.

• NightHawkHat
    NightHawkHat
    Community Member
    Options

1Password gives the impression it is cross-platform. It does indeed have versions that run on many platforms. However, the Windows version is a sad excuse for a program compared to the Mac version. If I had known the disparity was so great I would have chosen a different product.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gburleigh, you may prefer to work with the same 4.x extensions on your PC as you're used to using on your Mac. If so, sign up for the beta program here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

@NightHawkHat‌, I'm sorry you feel that way! We're hard at work on 1Password 4 for Windows and the 4.x extensions, and I invite you to try it, too.

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

@NightHawkHat‌, I'm glad to know you had the same impression. @DBrown, I'm glad to hear a new Windows version is in the works. Are there any potential risks associated with using the beta version?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

None that we know of, @gburleigh. I use it with my own personal data, and I'd be lost if anything happened to that! #-o

That said, it is beta software. As the message containing your invitation states, we urge you to make sure your data is backed up.

(In addition to the built-in backup mechanism creating 1Password backup files daily, my own data is backed up to two on-site external drives and an off-site sync service. I haven't ever needed to restore from any of those sources, but I sleep better knowing they're there. :) )

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I also recommend the beta version of 1Password. Especially since the new beta extensions (version 4.2) made some great improvements in login filling and detection (on both Mac and Windows).

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, here goes nothin'!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) See you in the beta forum, @gburleigh‌!

This discussion has been closed.