Safari extension + Apple Keychain Conflicts

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited April 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm not sure if 1password is intended to work alongside Apple Keychain, but I've been using them together for a while now -- using 1password to generate and save passwords, and Apple Keychain for the convenience of auto-filling login forms on website. They work OK together, but it exposes a conflict that could be considered a bug in the extension.

When Safari auto-fills a login form, the 1password extension always asks if I want to save the login, even if it's already saved.

I'm guessing the reason is that the extension simply asks itself, "Did I enter this login/pass?" If the answer is no, it blindly assumes it's new.

It seems like better logic would be for it to ask, "Is this login/pass in my database?"

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Aron,

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is being a bit over-zealous with asking to save. Is 1Password locked or unlocked when this happens?

If 1Password is locked, it has no way of seeing which Logins are already stored in your database. Try ensuring that 1Password is unlocked while you're browsing. You should see this prompt less then.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Ah, good point, it only happens when 1password is locked. Thanks for pointing that out. It makes total sense and definitely isn't a bug.

I'll either disable Apple Keychain or ask the 1password extension not to prompt me to save new logins.

Thanks for the support Megan.

• On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.