Problems with Dropbox

Options

Dear All,

I have been looking through forum posts and the support pages without success so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have installed 1Password on Windows. I already have it on my iPad (I also have 1Password 3 on Mac but I can't use this any more due to the new version needing an OS more recent than hardware will allow).

My problem is that 1Password on Windows does not seem to 'pick up' the location of my keychain in Dropbox on the first run as the support pages imply. I have tried creating a new file and then "Move to Dropbox" in Preferences. However, this does not pickup my Dropbox folder, which is T:\Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain but instead goes to C:\Users_myname_\Dropbox1Password\temporary1Password.agilekeychain . My suspicion is that this is why it is not picked up in the first place. Can anyone suggest anything?

Best wishes,

Toby.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If there's nothing you need in C:\Users\myname\Dropbox\1Password\temporary1Password.agilekeychain, just delete it in File Explorer.

Then launch 1Password, choose File > Open 1Password Data Folder, and find and select T:\Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain.

A couple of questions, though:

• Is the T drive a network share?

If so, please note that we do not recommend storing your 1Password data folder on a network share drive.

• Is T:\Dropbox your Dropbox "root" folder?

That is, are all the files stored there and in all subfolders under it duplicated automatically on your private dropbox.com web site?

• tobytoby
    tobytoby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:

Is the T drive a network share?

>

If so, please note that we do not recommend storing your 1Password data folder on a network share drive.

No, but it is a locally mounted Truecrypt archive.

Is T:\Dropbox your Dropbox "root" folder?

>

That is, are all the files stored there and in all subfolders under it duplicated automatically on your private dropbox.com web site?

Yes, that's right, albeit with selective sync enabled.

I can try deleting C:\Users\myname\Dropbox\1Password\temporary1Password.agilekeychain when I am next at that machine in the coming day or two. However, I think I may have already attempted this in the time I spent fiddling around earlier in the week. No matter what I did, it seemed that 1Password would not 'pick up' my Dropbox folder. However, from what you say about just "find and select T:\Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain" it seems like I don't need it to 'pick up' the Dropbox location automatically and I just do it manually. As long as this then keeps things in sync (because I guess, doing it this way, 1Password doesn't 'know' it's on Dropbox?)?

Thanks again,

Toby.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I understand it, 1Password will check on first launch to see if you have Dropbox installed and, if so, to see whether there's a .agilekeychain folder anywhere under the Dropbox "root" folder and, if there is, ask whether you want to use it; other than that, 1Password is uninvolved in the Dropbox process.

Once you select the .agilekeychain folder you want to use, 1Password just reads from it and writes to it. Dropbox does all the rest, as far as sync'ing your data among the computers and devices associated with the same Dropbox account.

I must admit that I don't know anything about Truecrypt. Let us know how 1Password works with your 1Password data stored there.

• tobytoby
    tobytoby
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks! I have given this a try and initial tests indicate success!

I don't really want to use Truecrypt, but I put my Dropbox folder there because the other option is a network drive. If I just put it locally on C: then there may be issues with other folk using this machine occasionally (it is the one in my office).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unless I'm missing something, it shouldn't matter if someone else uses the same computer—your 1Password data is absolutely inaccessible to anyone who doesn't have your master password.

• tobytoby
    tobytoby
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed - and I would trust that the 1Password material is protected. However, I do this because most/all of the rest of my Dropbox folder isn't. I want to store Dropbox locally rather than on a network share but if I were to just have this as, say, C:\dropbox it would be relatively unsecured when others use the machine. So, dropbox is encrypted in a Truecrypt file that I mount after entering my password at login. All a bit of a pain to be honest! But, hopefully keeps me safe.

Thanks again for all your help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the explanation.

Another solution would be separate Dropbox accounts—one for your personal stuff (including the 1Password.agilekeychain folder), and one just for your work e-mail address.

Then you could use Dropbox's built-in "share folder" feature to share only the 1Password.agilekeychain folder (or the folder in which it resides) in your personal-use Dropbox account with your work-only Dropbox account.

This discussion has been closed.