Dropbox Sync Issues between 1Password 4.2.2 and iOS

tonystinson
tonystinson
Community Member

I am using Dropbox sync, and have been for some time. Recently, I am having issues with changes in the Mac app being synced to my two iOS devices. I have turned Dropbox sync off/on, resented multiple times, etc. Sometime it works. Sometimes it doesn't. If I look in my sync logs for today, it indicates that syncs are happening, but that there are no changes, when in fact several passwords have been changed. What are the troubleshooting steps to take to solve this problem?

Tony

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonystinson‌

I'm sorry that Dropbox is giving you trouble right now. Let's try doing a reset:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• tonystinson
    tonystinson
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan, for your help.

On the Mac, after opening Preferences in 1Password and clicking on Sync, there is not option to "Change" sync. I have looked everywhere. I also clicked on Dropbox, and it show that Sync is running, but it doesn't give me the option to disable it. The Preference pane gives me the option to sync with iCloud, Dropbox, or a Folder, but not open to change.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonystinson‌

Thanks for clarifying that for me! If you're seeing that Preferences pane, that means that 1Password is not set up to sync at all. So once your iOS devices have sync disabled, start at the 'Restart' step and follow the directions above to the end. This should get everything working!

• tonystinson
    tonystinson
    Community Member

That fixed things, Megan. To clarify, according to the Preference Pane, Dropbox was syncing. But I had never set up the vault. I guess I missed something when upgrading. Thank you for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonystinson‌

I think what you're seeing here is the message that Dropbox is installed and running. The vault location does need to be selected (like we did) in order to have your data synced to Dropbox.

In any case, I'm so glad that you're up and running! If you hit any further snags, please do let me know!

• ralphdaily
    ralphdaily
    Community Member

Megan, thanks for the summary on resetting Dropbox sync. This got me syncing for the first time in months.

• fbarthelme
    fbarthelme
    Community Member

This helped me, too, but I was wondering if 1PW will sync with more than one cloud site? I was syncing with iCloud and I just switched it to sync with Dropbox (per above step instructions) and I don't see any link to ADD another external sync site to my Mac.

Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ralphdaily,

I'm so glad to hear that my instructions helped to get you all synced up! If you run into any further snags, please don't hesitate to let us know - we certainly don't want you going months without a proper sync. :)

Hi @fbarthelme‌

I'm glad to hear this helped you as well :) Unfortunately, there is no way to add a secondary sync to 1Password. 1Password 4 can only sync with one sync solution at a time. When we initially released 1Password 4 for iOS, we had hoped that users could enable multiple syncs at a time, but some users reported conflicts and duplicate data, so we've been advising people to stick with the one sync solution that best fits their needs. Please note that in addition to any sync solution you set up, 1Password will make regular backups of your data as well, so your database is well-protected. :)

This discussion has been closed.