Changed master password and forgot it. How to recover from iCloud backup using old password?

Options
apososinal
apososinal
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

I´ve changed my master password and now I can´t login because I forgot it. Is there a way to delete 1P from my iphone and them recover it using my old password (this one I remember)?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @apososinal‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. Unfortunately iCloud in 1Password 4 for iOS is a sync and not a backup, so there are no versioned backups that you can restore to. Are you using 1Password on any other computers or devices?

• apososinal
    apososinal
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mega,

No. Just in the iPhone, unfortunately....

I thought that I could retrieve it somehow with my old password. I thought that I saw something about that here in the forum....

How many times can I try a password? Will it block my access sometime?

Thank you.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There is no limit on the number of times you can attempt to enter your master password. There is an explanation of why this is allowed somewhere on the AgileBits site, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment on its location.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @apososinal‌

For your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please see the tips in this guide:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-forgot-mp.html

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to restore from a backup or start over. Both of these steps are documented in the guide.

If you've really never stored anything in your 1Password data file then starting over is really easy -- but you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

• apososinal
    apososinal
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Megan and @hawkmoth!

I know the "formule" for the password, but I forgot the password itself..... I´m going to try to remember it, must be "only" some thousand possible combinations....

• Aimee
    Aimee
    Community Member
    Options

You can recover your iCloud password to restore, follow this guide to learn how to recover iCloud password. If it failed, maybe you can recoverr your iPhone with an iPhone data recovery tool.

This discussion has been closed.