full master password still required even though....

Options
drschwartz
drschwartz
Community Member

I've set my iPad app (I believe; see the attached image for my current settings) to only require the quick unlock code. Yet, I'm still asked to enter the full master code when accessing the 1Password app. Any idea what the issue might be?

TIA,
David

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I don't believe it is possible to set the app so that you never have to enter the master password. If the app times out in the background, you'll need to use the master password to regain entry. I like it that way. It means that someone who gets into my iDevices would have a simple code option if s/he is trying to break in.

• drschwartz
    drschwartz
    Community Member
    Options

The app on my iPhone is working just the way I'm describing...all I need is the quick code. If the code is enough to keep someone out of my phone, it's enough to keep someone out of iPassword.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Well, you will need to wait for an AgileBits support person if you don't think I've given you the right information. As I said, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to completely bypass the master password permanently.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drschwartz‌

Unfortunately, the issue you are seeing is a result of the iOS closing the app in the background. When you stop using 1Password, the iOS app will keep track of how long it’s been in the background in order to ensure there’s enough memory for your current and most recently used apps. 1Password can remain unlocked in memory only until iOS is forced to fully close the app in the background to reclaim its memory block, so that your current apps can use it. How long an app can remain in memory depends on the amount of memory available, and how much memory your active apps require. I believe all inactive apps are closed after a period of 5 minutes.

Please note that when the iOS closes an app in this way, it still remains in your list of open apps, so you won't see much of a difference, but the iOS will essentially re-open the app the next time you switch to it. When 1Password is re-opened in this way, it will require your Master Password.

• drschwartz
    drschwartz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but then why do I see different behavior on my two iOS devices?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

??? I thought this whole discussion was about the iOS version. Maybe is misunderstand that last reaction.

• drschwartz
    drschwartz
    Community Member
    Options

I have two iOS devices: iPhone and iPad. My question pertains to my iPad as my iPhone already behaves in the manner desired, ie, when I'm challenged, I only have to enter my quick password.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If your iPhone never asks you for your master password, something is wrong. @Megan described the expected and normal behavior, which applies to any iOS device.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @drschwartz‌,

If you've got a newer iPhone, it may be able keep the app in memory for longer, therefore the quick unlock code may be persisting for longer.

This discussion has been closed.