Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Is 1Password version 4.5 iOS 7 only?

Comments

• Zonker
    Zonker
    Community Member
    Options

Super! Just bought the app last week and cannot upgrade - caveat emptor I guess..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zonker,

The 1Password 4.5 update is for iOS7 only. :) I'm so sorry that you're unable to update to version 4.5. 1Password 4.3 will of course continue to work just fine on iOS6 and we will continue to support it.

• Dan Richardson
    Dan Richardson
    Community Member
    Options

Which versions can sync together? I have devices Apple orphaned at 5.1.1 and 6.1.6, one at the current jailbreak (7.0.6), along with multiple devices up to date. Can the new desktop sync the older iOS versions? If not, what do you recommend I do?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dan,

1Password 4 for Mac can sync with 1Password 4 for iOS via Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi. If any of your devices can only use 1Password 3 for iOS, this can be kept in sync via v3's Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. :)

Please let me know if you would like a bit more detailed walkthrough of the process and I'd be happy to help!

• Dan Richardson
    Dan Richardson
    Community Member
    Options

4.5 is the first version that mandated iOS 7, isn't it? App Store will let you download older versions of some apps if your iOS doesn't support the current version. Is 1Password such an app? Running two desktop apps and two password collections that don't talk to each other is not a solution.

• Manitou
    Manitou
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here.
    Due to other compatibility issues updating my iPhone to iOS 7 is not an option. So I want to buy the latest version of 1P that works with iOS 6 AND syncs with 1P 4.3 for OS X which is 4.3 for iOS I think. In the App-Store though it only says that the version 4.5 does require iOS 7 but not if it's possible to download an earlier version that fits my needs after paying for 4.5. Like Dan mentioned before I also believe to remember having read somewhere that the App-Store offers this solution for some Apps. Is this true for 1Password too?

• Dan Richardson
    Dan Richardson
    Community Member
    Options

Spent the $9 to find out. No go on my iPad running 5.1.1. Downloads an earlier version on my 3GS and iPod Touch 4 running 6.1.6. I assume that's the previous version of 1P, 4.3.2. Not sure how to find out. Next question is whether the new desktop will still sync with 1P 4.3.2. and, if so, how long we can expect that to work.

• Manitou
    Manitou
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dan,

having read your last entry I thought: perfect, that'l do for me. So I tried to buy and download the app via the App-Store on my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3. But I got the message that I have to upgrade my iOS to 7.something. Have you bought it through iTunes or how did you do it.
    Greets

• Dan Richardson
    Dan Richardson
    Community Member
    Options

Bought it through iTunes, then downloaded in app store on phone, where it asked me if I wanted the old version. Just a note, I'm doing this on devices that can't be upgraded. I'm not sure if it works on one that can.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dan and @Manitou,

I apologize for the delay in response! I'm glad to hear that the App Store does allow you to download older versions of the app for devices that can not upgrade to iOS7. 1Password 4.3 should sync just fine with your newer devices via Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi. Please let me know if you run into any snags during set-up and I'd be happy to help!

• frame
    frame
    Community Member
    Options

I really wish Agilebits would be more responsible when it comes to OS requirements. I got so many different 1Password versions now: iPad1 (iOS5), iPad3 (iOS7) and iPhone4 (iOS6) that I have no more real confidence that all this will still work in a few months.

Why even drop iOS5 support? I don't get it. Wouldn't access to passwords be more important than some modern API stuff?

• Jasper
    Options

By supporting iOS 7 only, we chose the route that best fits the majority of our customers. We want to create the best possible experience for the bulk of our users. App Store usage numbers suggest that the iOS 7 adoption rate is around 85%: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/24/ios-7-adoption-85/

It's not simple to support multiple versions of iOS. Apple no longer allows developers to submit updates that don't support iOS 7, and the iOS 7 aesthetic is quite difficult to support on older versions of iOS. In addition, new APIs allow us to make some nice improvements to 1Password, and add awesome new features. For example, AirDrop is a feature introduced by Apple in iOS 7, and it's not possible to include that feature in an iOS 6 app (1Password 4.5 takes advantage of AirDrop to allow for an easy, secure way to share items with others nearby).

There's almost no barrier to get iOS updates these days. They're free and easy to install. iOS 7 supports quite a large range of devices (nearly all devices that iOS 6 supported). If you have a compatible device, we definitely recommend upgrading to the latest version of iOS 7.

We are sorry if you have an older device that Apple decided not to support iOS 7 on, but even for Apple it's not possible to continue supporting the oldest devices with the latest and greatest software. The good news is that Apple allows you to download the latest compatible version of an app to your device. 1Password 4.3.2 will remain available on the App Store for iOS 6 users. Please see Apple's instructions to download an older, but compatible app version here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5919

Not only can we make a better app by using newer APIs, but we can make a better app by not spending significant resources from our small team coding and testing support for old versions of iOS. Unfortunately yes, a small number of users will be left behind to use an older version. We believe it's worth the trade-off though, so we can keep moving forward and make 1Password the very best it can be.

• Dan Richardson
    Dan Richardson
    Community Member
    Options

As long as you make sure that the desktop continues to sync with 4.3.2, that's an entirely reasonable answer.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi Dan,

We definitely want seamless syncing between 1Password 4.3.2 for iOS and 1Password 4 for Mac to continue.

Unfortunately it's not possible to provide further updates to version 4.3.2 for iOS 6 users, but there's no reason for us to think that anything will break the current syncing in the future.

• frame
    frame
    Community Member
    Options

By supporting iOS 7 only, we chose the route that best fits the majority of our customers. We want to create the best possible experience for the bulk of our users. App Store usage numbers suggest that the iOS 7 adoption rate is around 85%

Yes, you're a small team, and since I'm also a software developer I get that decision. You got mouths to feed and you pick the most profitable path forward, also a path that ensures that you keep in business to update the software. almost win win.

But you are providing a software that people use to manage their private and professional lives! They trust you to keep their passwords safe. There comes a responsibility with that, like for example it should be the number one priority for you to keep older version secure and updated, no matter what. No matter what. The best possibly experience should be the number two priority.

This discussion has been closed.