1Password 4.5: Dropbox Sync requires set-up

Options
The Doctor
The Doctor
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Hi guys...

My 1P updated on my iOS devices and neither my iPhone or iPad are Syncing.

I'm a long time user of 1P so have tried several things including going into the settings and manually tapping sync...which seems to reauth with Dropbox.

Is there something I'm missing to have my iOS devices auto sync upon changes.

I am now a bit paranoid to update my Macs to the new version...

Please let me know what you think...

Comments

• HapMacintyre
    HapMacintyre
    Community Member
    Options

I had to go into the Vault and reselect the sync method and Dropbox location before it would try to Sync after I upgraded to 4.5.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello Doctor,

I'm so sorry to hear that 1Password isn't syncing properly for you. It seems that the iOS app isn't migrating sync settings, so you may have to set the sync twice. Select Dropbox sync to give 1Password access to your Dropbox folder, then select the existing keychain that you would like to sync your vault to.

I know this workflow is not ideal, and our developers are looking into why this isn't happening automatically. The good news is that once you get this set up, you will have the automatic syncing that you have come to expect.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! If you're still unable to get sync to work, please let me know and we'll investigate further.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad to read this from @Megan! That is a really convoluted way to reestablish syncing after the update. I'm gong to bet you will be buried in help requests on this. You may need a sticky at the top of the forum.

• alemar
    alemar
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem - no sync on 1Phone.
    The sync on my PC and Notbook is ok!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

When I followed the recommendation from @Megan, I was able to reestablish syncing on my iPad and iPhone. Neither were working automatically. I had to grant permission again for 1Password to access my Dropbox account, then choose the keychain from a menu of one choice. Then I had to go back and tell it to sync via Dropbox a second time.

All is well now.

• alemar
    alemar
    Community Member
    Options

one mor thing - i sync with dropbox

• Marco_S
    Marco_S
    Community Member
    Options

My sync is also broken. But I'm not able to choose my current vault. The 1Password is just telling me, that it can't find 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault in my dropbox account. After pressing OK the app is crashing.

• alemar
    alemar
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I tried was megan said - but my iPhone sync does not work after i do this twice!
    My Androide Viewer shows also only the Changes I made on my PC and Notebook.

• alemar
    alemar
    Community Member
    Options

Hey - what is the status now with this sync problem?
    Is this only my problem?
    Can i go back to the old version? When yes - can you tell me how.
    Please give me a feedback.

• drew212
    drew212
    Community Member
    Options

Version 4.5 also fails to sync for me, and I have tried linking to Dropbox and syncing several times per @Megan 's suggestion to set up sync twice. No matter how many times I try, I get a message that the keychain could not be found.

I am afraid that it looks like the app may be looking only for files named 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault, but will not accept any other name for the primary vault. Is this the case? My primary vault is named differently. If the name is hard-coded into the app, I will be disappointed because it will not work with the system my family has set up to share vaults via Dropbox.

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah...that workflow is a bit wonky, but it's now working on my iOS devices.

I agree with Hawkmoth, given that someone now has to:
    1) Recognized there's a sync problem
    2) Go to setting and select Dropbox
    3) Go BACK to settings -> Dropbox and select a vault

Before things start working...I'd suggest making a sticky as well.

FWIW...this issue does not occur on the MAS version...so that's a plus.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alemar and @drew212,

I'm so sorry to hear that this process has been involved for you. Please take a look at the instructions below and let me know where things are not working for you, and we'll go from there!

To set up sync with Dropbox in 1Password 4.5, please follow these instructions:

• Go to Settings > Sync
    • Select Dropbox
    • 1Password will switch to a Dropbox screen asking you to allow 1Password to access your information stored in Dropbox
    • Allow
    • In 1Password > Settings > Sync
    • Select 'Sync with Dropbox'
    • Select the appropriate Dropbox account (if you have Dropbox for Business there may be multiple options here)
    • 1Password will find your available keychains in Dropbox
    • Select the appropriate keychain for the existing vault
    • The 'Last Sync' option will display an 'In progress' message until sync has completed

Hi @Marco_S‌

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble here! Let's see if we can track down where things are going wonky.

• Do you have the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device?
    • Does 1Password take you to the screen to allow 1Password access to Dropbox?
    • Do you have 1Password installed on any other computers and devices? If so, please provide the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices.

Once we know a bit more about the details of your situation, we should be able to track this down. :)

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan...

You totally stealth changed the name of my thread...please send me a t-shirt :-P

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello Doctor ... oops!

No stealth intended, but I thought perhaps a more detailed and specific title could be helpful for other users having the same issue as you. :) We want to make it as easy as possible for users to find the solutions here - particularly during the excitement of a big update!

That being said ... if you would like to rock some awesome 1Password gear, send an email to support+social@ agilebits .com (and mention your awesome forum handle.) I'm a sucker for Tennant ... I'm sure we can work something out.

• Marco_S
    Marco_S
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan
    After upgrading the sync was no longer working on my iPhone und iPad so I decieded to remove 1Password and reinstall it on both devices. Now I'm no longer able to choose my vault. After connecting to dropbox and allowing 1Password to access it, 1Password is looking for Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault. But my file has a different name. Everything was working well on all devices before the upgrade. The sync between the MacOS and Windows version is still working. I only have this issue on my iOS devices.

• I have dropbox on my iPhone and iPad because I was using 1Password before already
      -1Password takes me to the screen to allow 1Password access to Dropbox

• I have 1Passord version 4.5 on my iPhone and iPad. Also I have version 4.3 on my MacOS and the current version on my Windows 7 machine.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

A point about having the Dropbox application installed on iOS devices: I set up this update for my spouse earlier today. She doesn't have the Dropbox app installed, but I was able to give permission anyway. When I picked Dropbox for her sync solution, a screen appeared where I could enter her username and password for Dropbox. That worked fine.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Marco_S‌

Thanks so much for providing those extra details. This is strange behaviour, since 1Password 4.5 is capable of supporting multiple vaults, so it should be detecting vaults with names other than 1Password.agilekeychain. What is your data file's name?

• PLMan
    PLMan
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

On both iPad and iPhone I had to reestablish Dropbox sync. Moreover after granting access 1P was going back to screen with sync method selection not talking that Dropbox sync was established. I had to select Dropbox sync again and then select already authorized account and then keychain file. After this 1P shown info that Dropbox sync is active.
    Then first sync shown "Failed to load metadata" error.
    After "sync again" synchronization was made on iPad

On iPhone it was needed to try again more times.

• drew212
    drew212
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

Thanks for your quick reply. I followed the instructions you gave, which is what I had been doing, and my vault is still not listed. I think the problem is the same as @Marco_S‌: 1Password 4.5 is not recognizing primary vaults with names other than one of the two standard names, 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault.

My setup had been working fine before. I have 1Password for Mac 4.1.2 (MAS) on 3 different machines and 1Password 4.3 for iOS on an iPhone and an iPad. All were syncing their primary vault to a vault stored on Dropbox in ~/Dropbox/Universal/Settings/1Password/1Password-APT.agilekeychain. There are other .agilekeychain files stored in that folder as well as another folder in my Dropbox, but none of those are actively set to sync with 1Password for Mac, per AgileBits' known-issues advice that 1Password for Mac cannot yet sync multiple vaults via Dropbox because of possible issues with 1Password for iOS 4.3. For what it's worth, the file ~/Dropbox/.ws.agile.1Password.settings contains the path to my primary vault, "Universal/Settings/1Password/1Password-APT.agilekeychain", but I don't know if that file is used by the current versions of 1Password for Mac or iOS. The particular naming and folder structure we use is determined by giving family and workmates access to various vaults, which is supposed to be a key new feature. As I say, all of this was working just fine until today.

When I attempt to set up 1Password for iOS 4.5 to sync the primary vault per your instructions above, none of the 8 vaults in my Dropbox appear as choices. I do believe the issue is related to the filename. As a test, I temporarily changed the name of one of the vaults to 1Password.agilekeychain and then attempted to set up syncing. That vault immediately showed up as a choice, but none of the others did, including the vaults in the very same folder. Therefore it seems to me that 1Password for iOS 4.5 is only searching for the default filename and nothing else.

As further evidence of this, if I go into Settings > Vaults > Add Vault > Sync with Dropbox and attempt to add a secondary vault, then all 8 of the vaults in my Dropbox show up as possible choices. So the iOS app clearly can find all my vaults, it just doesn't present them as choices for syncing as the Primary Vault unless they have a default name.

Whether I am right or wrong, I hope a fix can be found soon. It is not feasible to change the vault naming structure we have set up. Unfortunately I know 9 people between my family and my workplace who have all lost the ability to sync in the iOS app because automatic app updates were turned on and they can't downgrade to 1Password for iOS 4.3.

Thanks,
    Drew

• WhiteBeard
    WhiteBeard
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on my end as well, precisely as described by @drew212 and @Marco_S :(

• rizzior
    rizzior
    Community Member
    Options

Does 1Password 4.5 now support Multiple Vaults. I have two Vaults setup in 1Password My (Primary and my Secondary) on my MacBook but i am only seeing the Primary Vault in 1Password on my iPhone. is that Normal ?

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

+2.

After updating to 4.5, both my wife and I discovered 1PW on our phones was no longer syncing. Had to reestablish dropbox sync on both.

I think this problem may be more widespread than realized. Had I not seen this thread, I would not have checked the sync settings and discovered the problem.

• RichBT
    RichBT
    Community Member
    Options

I have been slowly migrating some family members and friends to better password management with 1Password.

These are the sort of computer users who are much happier having apps update automagically. Fortunately, none of them are currently doing so as the 1Password for iOS 4.5 update has some serious breakage for at least some folks using Dropbox for sync.

On both my iPad and my iPhone I got the error message about sync settings not migrating.

On my iPad, after allowing 1Password to access Dropbox, I had to repeat the request to sync with Dropbox seven or eight times before it gave me an opportunity to choose the correct file.

On my iPhone, after allowing 1Password to access Dropbox, I repeated the request to sync with Dropbox three times. Then I disallowed Dropbox sync and re-allowed it. At that point it gave me an opportunity to choose the correct file.

At this point, I'm recommending that any 1Password users who sync with Dropbox avoid the 4.5 update and wait for this issue to be addressed.

• alemar
    alemar
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @megan,

Sorry i tried - but does not work!

That happens:
    1Password will find your available keychains in Dropbox -> that is not right

1Password shows the key "1Password.agilekeychain" but my Key has the name "1PasswordAlexander.agilekeychain" !!!! There is no chance to change that in the right name!!!

Select the appropriate keychain for the existing vault -> is so not possible

Is ist possible to rename the file "1PasswordAlexander.agilekeychain" to "1Password.agilekeychain"? but i think then it works not longer with my PC and notebook intsallation. Right?

• ChrisE
    ChrisE
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I re-authed with Dropbox, then get "Failed to download file from Dropbox, please try again later". The path it reports is the correct path.

Anyone any suggestions for a fix?

Additionally - why do we have to go through this tedious time-consuming mess with 1P every time there's a major update? This app is critical to my and many people's workflows, we shouldn't be forced to waste time searching forums for fixes just because there's a new version. I seem to have been doing this dance with AgileBits for years and I'm really tired of it.

• Marco_S
    Marco_S
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan
    my filename is PW-Marcostalder.agilekeychain

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @Marco_S and @drew212 and @WhiteBeard‌ and @alemar‌,

It looks like 1Password is searching only for 1Password.agilekeychain named files when setting up sync for the primary vault. Because you have re-named your primary vault, 1Password is not finding it automatically. I have spoken with our developers, and they're working to get this fixed for you all just as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have two options to get you synced up now:

1. Your primary vault can be added as a secondary vault:
    • Reinstall 1Password and set up as a new user
    • Leave your 'primary' vault empty and add your custom-named primary vault as a secondary keychain
    • Please note that this does mean that 1Password will unlock to the empty vault and you will have to switch to view your primary data.
    1. You can re-name your primary keychain to "1Password.agilekeychain" so that 1Password can find it automatically.

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here, we'll do our best to have this issue corrected soon.

Hi @Chris100,

I do apologize that 4.5 required you to re-set up your sync. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you from now on, but we're here if you have any questions!

Hi @RichBT,

I am so sorry that the migration process has not been smooth for you. Rest assured our developers are working to improve this, and we hope to have an update available soon for you all.

Hi @ChrisE,

Again, I am sorry that this process has been trying for you! Please select the 'Try again' option when Dropbox fails to sync. I got that message the first time I set up sync on my iPad too, but trying again synced successfully. As I've mentioned above, our developers are doing their best to get the migration process working more smoothly.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions, but I hope sync works properly and effortlessly for you from now on!

• cesaralopez
    cesaralopez
    Community Member
    Options

Please, bring back the animating Sync icon to iOS!

• drew212
    drew212
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

In your instructions, this link doesn't work:

It redirects to the first page of the the tutorial. Can you explain how to delete the data on iCloud correctly?

Thanks,
    Drew

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drew212,

Oops! We're in the process of migrating our documents to a new service and it looks like I need to update my instructions just a bit. Please try this: http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Also note the changes to my post above ... I've spoken further with our developers, and my original steps won't quite work as well as we had hoped.)

This discussion has been closed.