iTunes file sharing not available in version 4.5? [replaced by backup/restore function in v5]

Options
iceout
iceout
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

After upgrading to version 4.5 I am no longer able to use file sharing to download my .agilekeychain via the apps tab in iTunes.

The only option available related to iTunes in the sync section is "Import from iTunes" which just goes to an apple support page on how to use file sharing within iTunes.

Is the ability to save my keychain locally via File Sharing in iTunes no longer available?

Comments

• Phil382
    Phil382
    Community Member
    Options

I second this observation. iTunes file sharing (in conjunction with a fresh installation of the iOS app) was useful because it was apparently the only way to copy/update file attachments to logins and other items from the Mac version of the 1Password keychain. As matters stand, a basic sync of the 1Password keychain file through WiFi or other means apparently omits the attachments. If there's another way to do this, please let us know! Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iceout and @Phil382,

Are you unable to make use of iTunes File Sharing via the iTunes app on your main computer?

• Phil382
    Phil382
    Community Member
    Options

I'm able to make use of it only in the sense that iTunes appears to be transferring the keychain to my iPhone. But after the apparent transfer, nothing new is accessible on the iPhone and none of the login (etc.) attachments -- old or new -- are accessible.

In a more extreme measure, when I delete and reinstall the 1Password iPhone app and transfer the keychain via the iTunes file sharing operation above, I still get only the welcome screen with options to set up as a new user or continue as an existing user, neither option of which grants me access to my transferred ("shared") keychain.

Thanks for your help!

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @megan

My situation seems a little different than what Phil382 is doing. I started the thread because I am no longer able to go into itunes on the MAC and go to the apps/file sharing section for my phone and select 1Password to see my .agilekeychain The files are no longer visible when I select 1Password

1Password 4.3.2 had a section in settings to turn file sharing on and off and that is no longer in 4.5 (possibly by design)

I did have file sharing turned off before upgrading 1Password from 4.3.2--->4.5 if that makes any difference.

So to recap, No I am not able to download my .Agilekeychain from my iPhone using iTunes after upgrading to 4.5

Thanks for your support.

• Phil382
    Phil382
    Community Member
    Options

To iceout: Have you tried this? On the apps tab of iTunes, select 1Password, then click the "Add.." button in the lower right of the adjacent "1Password Documents" window. In the file selection box that opens, navigate to your 1Password keychain. (The path to your keychain can be found on the Sync tab of 1Password's preferences.) Hope this helps. But then, you might get stuck where I am now.

• joe_carroll
    joe_carroll
    Community Member
    Options

When syncing multiple vaults I expected to sync via wifi. I really dont want to go via dropbox. I was happier (more than dropbox sad but less happy than wifi sync) to import from itunes but it seems not to work for me either. I can drop keychains in, but when I tap add vault > import itunes I'm instructed how to drop a file in itunes. Which I know how to do just fine.

Mixed feelings about this update. Definitely got a new coat of paint, some new features, but I feel regressed in some areas. Specifically quick access passcode and this. Overall I like the direction but would like wifi sync of multi vaults and quick passcode back. We will see what other things I come up with :D

• GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    Community Member
    Options

Bump; same issue.

WiFi never worked for me (still doesn't, and I'm about to turn off my firewall), and I don't trust cloud storage, so I've used local file sharing for apps in iTunes (I'm on a Mac, running latest versions of iOS [iPhone], iTunes, and Mac OS).

This worked well with the previous version of the iOS app.

Now when I "add" my locally-synced .agilekeychain file to my phone in iTunes, it says it's replacing the file on the phone, but when I open the app on the phone, there is no effect (as other posters in this thread have observed). Deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone did nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Rici
    Rici
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me! The iTunes file sync doesn't work but worked in earlier versions. Please fix that soon. Thanks

• Razor3
    Razor3
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. iTunes Sync does not work. Sync was working in 4.3.2 and stopped working after the update.

• Can copy the .agilekeychain file via iTunes from Mac to the 1Password 4.5.
    • 1Password app does not sync. Clicking on the "Import to iTunes" in the settings tap just takes me to the instruction page.
    • Erased the data and re-copied file. This just gets me to the welcome screen.
    • Delete 1Password, re-installed, copied .agilekeychain file. This just gets me to the welcome screen.

1Password for iOS 4.5
    1Password 4 for Mac 4.3

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

I do apologize for the trouble here. I've mentioned this issue to our developers and they are looking into it. :)

• Phil382
    Phil382
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan. On a related note, as you can see from my original post, I have relied on a workaround to "sync" (actually a one-way copy) file attachments to keychain entries. Are there any plans to include attachments in other syncing methods so this kind of workaround will no longer be necessary? Or is there a way now that I've overlooked?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Phil382‌

Adding attachments to Wi-Fi sync is also on our developers' to do list, don't worry! Attachments do currently sync automatically using iCloud and Dropbox.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the developers are working on the iTunes/keychain problem but wanted to report another wrinkle. I upgraded to iOS 4.5 yesterday and could view all the items in 1P4 as expected on both my iPhone and iPad. Today I connected my Mac (running 1P4 4.3.1.BETA-3) via iTunes and synchronised only some iBooks (i.e., I did not attempt to transfer the 1P4 keychain). Later when I checked 1P4 on both devices no items were visible in any category. When I force quit and restarted 1P4 on both devices all items were again visible.

I haven't transferred the Mac keychain to iOS at all since updating to iOS 4.5. I'm running iOS 7.1.1 and OS X 10.9.2.

Stephen

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion @Phil382‌ However my issue was not with adding a keychain from my mac to the iPhone it is with saving the .agilekeychain from the iphone to my computer via file sharing in iTunes.

Sounds like @Megan‌ has notified the developers of the problem.

In the meantime when I backup my iPhone in iTunes it will back up my keychain. I still would like to see the file sharing option working again unless of course they have decided to remove that feature.

Not sure how this feature could be this broken unless they are actually removing that feature.

iceout

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stephen_C,

Thanks for reporting that wrinkle - I'm sorry that happened to you! Our developers are working to track this issue down.

Hi @iceout‌

Don't worry, File Sharing is not being phased out as an option. We'll do our best to have it working for you as soon as possible! :)

• cobrablue
    cobrablue
    Community Member
    Options

I already have 1Password4 on iMac, and downloaded paid version to iPhone -- but cannot synch it to iPad Mini from iTunes. Anyone know to do this?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cobrablue‌

I've merged your comment with an existing discussion on iTunes sync. We are currently experiencing difficulties with this, and our developers are doing their best to get it sorted out for you all just as soon as we can!

• Razor3
    Razor3
    Community Member
    Options

A month later and still no resolution.....

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Razor3,

1Password 4.5.2, which has been submitted to the App Store for review, now creates automatic backups that are accessible via iTunes. And we're looking into a restore function for a future update.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 4.5.2, which has been submitted to the App Store for review, now creates automatic backups that are accessible via iTunes. And we're looking into a restore function for a future update.

These fixes are for the 1password keychain going from ios device to computer? Any update on fixes for the opposite direction (keychain from computer to ios device via itunes and 1password on ios properly extracting the entries from the transferred keychain)?

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

1Password 4.5.2, which has been submitted to the App Store for review, now creates automatic backups that are accessible via iTunes.

The backup function is used to transfer data from your iOS device to your Mac.

And we're looking into a restore function for a future update.

A restore function, which we are looking into, would be for transferring data from your Mac to your iOS device.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

A restore function, which we are looking into, would be for transferring data from your Mac to your iOS device.

How would this "restore" function be different, if at all, from transferring the keychain to the ios device via itunes file sharing and then the ios 1password "syncs" from that transferred keychain, which were broken by 1password ios 4.5 onward?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duelist77,

This backup and restore function is modelled after the backup and restore feature that is currently available on Mac. This means that your data will be in .1p4_zip format instead of .agilekeychain. We hope that making the backup and restore process uniform across the platforms will simplify things for users.

Please note that iTunes File Sharing was never really a "sync" option. It essentially offered the same backup and restore functionality, so there really is little difference here, except for the terminology and the file format.

I hope this helps to clarify things, but we're here if you have any further questions! :)

• GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan: you mentioned in another thread regarding iTunes file sharing (http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/126271#Comment_126271) that "our developers know how important local sync is, and they are working to get this resolved for you all just as soon as possible."

I thought that meant that we would be able to copy our local 1Password keychain from our computer (e.g. a Mac) to our iOS device (e.g. an iPhone); apparently this isn't the case?

The other sync options offered are not feasible for me as a user: I'm not storing my password data in the "cloud" (via DropBox or iCloud) with the inherent insecurity offered by the Internet (I shouldn't have to provide any examples here...); also, WiFi sync been extremely buggy as of late, and I'm not about to open up my Mac's firewall and such to spend several hours trying to figure out how to sync a 1Password keychain over WiFi.

I paid $18 for an app so that I don't have to boot up and log into my Mac running the 1Password app every time I need to get to one of my passwords.

At this point---especially with the long development cycle---I'd even downgrade to the previous release where iTunes File Sharing worked.

Or maybe I have it wrong---and the developers did fix the iTunes File Sharing issue in the latest release---and until Apple approves the app, we can't see it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GDWzLCoeOuPOniGU,

I sincerely apologize for any confusion here. The statement you quote is correct: we know that there are many users like yourself who would prefer not to sync using Dropbox or iCloud, and our developers are looking into how to provide the best syncing experience for all available sync options.

In the 4.5.2 release (which should be available to users very soon), we have begun the process of redefining the File Sharing option as I stated above (in post #24). Your data will now be backed up automatically within 1Password 4 for iOS. When you plug your iOS device in to iTunes and look at the Apps pane of the device manager, you can scroll down to the documents, and find your 1Password data in the Backups folder. This backup is in the same format as the backups on your Mac, so you can use this to restore your iOS data onto your Mac if need be. Right now you cannot manually initiate a backup from within the iOS app, but the files are generated each day there is a change in information, regardless of whether you connect your iOS device to iTunes or not. (Please note that these backups are stored within the 1Password 4 for iOS app, so if you delete the app, the backups will be deleted as well.)

Our developers are working on the user interface for manual backup and restore, so you should see more options for this feature coming in a future update.

As far as Wi-Fi sync is concerned, our developers know that there is room for improvement here, and are focussing their energies to ensure that this sync is a robust option for users who would prefer to avoid the cloud. I'd love it if you would give Wi-Fi sync a try and let me know if you hit any snags. I'd be happy to help!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, apologies if I've missed something, but you said:

This backup is in the same format as the backups on your Mac, so you can use this to restore your iOS data onto your Mac if need be.

Does that mean there'll be some way of getting a Mac backup on to iOS and using that in effect to transfer from Mac to iOS, using iOS version 4.5.2?

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stephen_C,

Unfortunately, in 4.5.2, only the backup function is available. We do intend to add the restore functionality to the iOS app as soon as possible, and when we do, users will be able to restore a Mac backup onto iOS.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

Thanks for the helpful and clear response. It's good to know that, in effect, there will again be an equivalent of folder sync from Mac to iOS. Those of us who don't use cloud services but do have attachments on our Macs (which wifi sync currently doesn't like, of course) are a little stuck at the moment!

Stephen

• Razor3
    Razor3
    Community Member
    Options

Don't see the point of mentioning version 4.5.2 since it does not resolve the original issue.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Megan,

I just installed the update to 4.5.2 and I do not see the backup folder in the File Sharing/Apps/1Password Documents section at the bottom of the apps tab in iTunes as you suggested. I started this thread originally and I am still confused if my data is being backed up.

If I was to lose my iPhone or the data that is on it do I have a reliable backup that I can restore to a new iPhone???

Does a restore from a complete iPhone backup restore my data at least?

If a complete iPhone restore from backup is currently the only way to restore my 1Password keychain then please get the programmers some Mountain Dew and keep them at work. The ability to backup my .keychain manually was just removed from the product during the last big upgrade. Can you put it back the way it was? I don't recall reading that there was a major rewrite of the app, why not just put the code back in that allowed this capability in the previous versions?

I want to love this product but between this issue and the one I wrote to you about in another forum post titled "New entry not saving Password/Username depending on which entered first" (which is still not fixed btw) I am losing confidence.

iceout

This discussion has been closed.