Ability to name/rename vaults in IOS

Options
StevenBey
StevenBey
Community Member

I have been waiting for multiple vaults and am glad they have finally arrived in IOS but.... I manage a number of vaults for others, (family members and colleagues). Under Mavericks I sync each vault through shared folders in DropBox. In the 1Password for Mac app I can name each vault, give each one a different colour etc. which works fine, however in the new IOS app each vault takes its name from the agilekeychain file which creates my problem. In order for each of the people whose vaults I am managing to use their vault as their primary vault the keychain file has to be named 1Password.agilekeychain (unless I am missing something). As I then add each keychain file to my IOS app they all take the name 1Password. The inability to rename or otherwise distinguish these files means that I can't tell them apart and the Multiple Vaults feature is then useless to me. I have tried renaming the keychain files but then my family members can't sync up their iPhones to DropBox as the Primary vault searches for a very specific nomenclature i.e. 1Password.agilekeychain. Please add a feature whereby we can name or rename each vault under the IOS app.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StevenBey‌

Thanks so much for providing your user experience here. Unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to re-name primary vaults, as this can cause problems. I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers though.

• RobX
    RobX
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with the suggestions StevenBey made and sure would also like to see the possibility to being able to make any vault PRIMARY.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobX,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. Unfortunately, there are some differences in the way that primary and secondary vaults are designed that makes this request slightly complicated. That isn't to say that our developers aren't listening, just that such a change would require a significant amount of re-arranging. At this time, the primary vault on your iOS device will be your 1Password.agilekeychain.

• RobX
    RobX
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,

Thank you for your reply!! :-)

• I understand that. Do you think that you could add the possibility to have the IOS app open to a specific secondary vault by default when started instead of the Primary vault? I guess that could help somehow at least in my case :-)

• Of course, I still would love to see the possibility of having vaults shared items sync automatically instead of having to go and change them manually in each vault.

• And finally, do you think it will be possible in the near future to edit vaults colors, names/titles... including the primary vault too? I am not talking about the data file but the name of the vault itself that shows on the interface. The data file could still keep that same name for syncing purposes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobX‌

First of all, thank you so much for your understanding. It's much appreciated!

Do you think that you could add the possibility to have the IOS app open to a specific secondary vault by default when started instead of the Primary vault?

This is not possible at this time, but you're not the first person to suggest this feature, and I'm happy to add your vote to the issue in our tracker.

Of course, I still would love to see the possibility of having vaults shared items sync automatically instead of having to go and change them manually in each vault.

Unfortunately, due to the way vaults are encrypted, it is not possible to keep items in sync across multiple vaults. Generally, an item should live in one vault only (to avoid complications). Developers are looking into ways to make it easier to view and access all your items, despite what vault they are in.

And finally, do you think it will be possible in the near future to edit vaults colors, names/titles... including the primary vault too?

There is currently a 'hard way' to edit the colours, names and Master Password of secondary vaults, but it involves exporting all items and creating a new vault with the proper colour and name. Easier editing is another feature on our to-do list. I'm not quite sure if primary vaults will be included in this, for the technical reasons I alluded to above, but you're certainly not alone in wanting this either.

Thanks for the feedback, I think these are some nice ideas for improvement, and I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers. :)

• StevenBey
    StevenBey
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan

As I understand RobX, he is asking for the ability to name and choose a colour for vaults under the IOS app, when we add the vaults, in the same way as the Mac app works. This would certainly solve my problem as the UI would then be much more user friendly. The original file names would stay the same and all existing underlying systems would function as they do now. The 'hard way' that you refer to is under the Mac app and does not solve this problem with the IOS apps UI. This tweak of the UI should not require a huge redesign..or?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StevenBay,

You're certainly not the first person to suggest this. I've added your vote to the existing request in our issue tracker. Because I'm not a developer, I can't say how much work this will actually involve, but one thing I've learned working here is that things are never as simple to do as I imagine them to be ;)

This discussion has been closed.