Options
dtoub
dtoub
Community Member

I'm running:
1Password 4
Version 4.3.1.BETA-3 (431003)
Agile Beta

as well as the new 4.5 version on my iOS devices. Yes, it is VERY nonintuitive to re-enable Dropbox (or any other) syncing in the new iOS version of 1PW. Had I not read a tweet from a friend who is a Macworld contributor, I never would have even known for some time that the new version (4.5) requires a reenabling of sync and several other important settings. That being said, I've enabled Dropbox sync again on iOS and it does sync a TEST login between my iPhone and iPad. However, syncing the Mac version to Dropbox in the same Dropbox folder and only with a single vault does not show the TEST login I set up on the iOS devices. What's up with that?

BTW, you really need to add a visual sync indicator. Thanks.

Comments

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I have disabled and re-enabled Dropbox sync in the OS X version and still no change.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

One more test: I created a new item in the OS X version and it did sync with the iOS devices. But an item I created on one iOS device only shows up on the other iOS device, not the OS X version. ????

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtoub,

It sounds like you might be syncing to two different places here. Let's reset sync and see if that gets each device talking to the other:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

What's weird, though, is that clearly it is syncing to the same thing. Changes in OS X carry over to iOS. But changes in the iOS version do not carry over to OS X. The issue is one-way. If they were syncing to different repositories, then iOS would be totally independent of the OS X data. But this is not as simple as that. I have, incidentally, reset sync on both devices; did that more than once before I posted to this forum. Will try a more extensive fix as you suggested. But clearly something got screwed up when I updated to the iOS 4.5 version.

One off-topic comment: it would be great if this forum provided notifications via e-mail if one subscribed to this or other threads. I don't receive notifications and don't see any way to subscribe to various posts. Am I missing something? Thanks.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I went to try your fix and interestingly, the icon next to Syncing in the iOS version 4.5 settings is now animated, and looks like everything went over to my Mac from iOS. So it now is working as expected. But what's confusing is that the Syncing icon remains animated even though if I click it, it indicates sync was accomplished many seconds ago. That's a UX fix that should be easy to make. Thanks.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

Finally (sorry to inundate you): is there any way to "force" a sync in OS X?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtoub,

First of all, you can set your Forum notifications here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit so that you don't miss a post. :)

Now, I'm glad to hear that resetting sync got things up and running for you! That annoying little spinning sync icon will be fixed in an update soon.

is there any way to "force" a sync in OS X?

Unfortunately, there is no way to force a sync on OS X. Dropbox sync should be triggered any time a change is made. Try updating an entry and keeping an eye on your blue box icon in the menu bar. It should update when you hit save.

I hope the answers your questions, but we're always here to help if you have any more! :)

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. One final minor thing: I don't seem to be able to check the Watchtower option in preferences. Is that not active yet? (running
    Version 4.3.1.BETA-5 (431005)). Much appreciated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtoub,

This is a known issue that our developers are already working on - thanks for pointing it out! We'll do our best to have WatchTower polished up soon :)

This discussion has been closed.