Trouble with iPad app: 1Browser, Security Settings

Options
asukulu
asukulu
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

I have to say I hate the iPad version. Its pretty useless to be frank. So many flaws that its hardly worth using. The built in browser is terrible and crashes all the time. The security settings don't work and lock the app as soon as you leave it even when set to 30 minutes which is really annoying. There is no way to save new logins. All it really is, is a storage device. I have latest version and latest IOS. I hope a better product comes on the market because Ill be leaving this one behind as soon as it does. Its over priced rubbish.

Comments

• joe_carroll
    joe_carroll
    Community Member
    Options

I agree, I miss the quick access feature. The new PIN feature is okay, but I want a longer password like the previous version with quick access. Because I don't like the new PIN idea I've fallen back to full master password and really miss quick access.

@asukulu‌ When you go to security it does say the master password will be prompted when you leave the app. You can always turn on PIN, but if you are like me, you may not like that. Definitely a change in feature set I don't like.

Please bring back quick passcode for quick transactions after using master password. I don't want PIN to be the default unlock

• leicaman
    leicaman
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Not sure what the problem is. It works just fine for me. I've preferred it to many parts of the Mac version for some time. As for the browser, it's so fast I prefer it for doing my timed-trivia daily contest. Works just great for me. Especially the new update with the iOS 7 theme.

Of course there is a lot of room for improvement. And an interface for generating new passwords would be clearly useful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asukulu‌ and @joe_carroll‌

I'd like to tell you just a bit more about the new PIN code and how it can work for you ... or how you can return to the previous 'Quick Unlock' behaviour offered in previous versions. The newly designed PIN code in 1Password 4.5 will provide users with a more consistent experience than our previous Quick Unlock Code.

In earlier versions of 1Password 4 for iOS, the lock settings were dependent on 1Password remaining open in the background. When the iOS would quit the app to reclaim memory resources, users would be prompted for their Master Password upon re-opening, regardless what their auto-lock settings were.

By providing the option to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, we are able to respect users' PIN code settings, even if the iOS closes 1Password in the background.

To ensure that users are aware of this new behavior, the PIN code is not automatically enabled for users who have migrated from an earlier version and will need to be manually enabled.

Please note that we recommend only using this feature only if you have enabled a device passcode on iOS.

As a security feature, if you mistype the PIN code once it will clear the iOS keychain and require the Master Password to be typed to access your database.

If you do not wish to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, you can disable 'use the iOS keychain' in Settings > Advanced. This will allow you to access 1Password using the PIN code until the iOS closes the app in the background, after which point your Master Password will again be required.

As far as the password generator, @leicaman‌, this sounds like a great improvement, and I'm happy to mention this to our developers. :)

• joe_carroll
    joe_carroll
    Community Member
    Options

"As a security feature, if you mistype the PIN code once it will clear the iOS keychain and require the Master Password to be typed to access your database.

If you do not wish to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, you can disable 'use the iOS keychain' in Settings > Advanced. This will allow you to access 1Password using the PIN code until the iOS closes the app in the background, after which point your Master Password will again be required."

The first part I didn't know at all, I like that feature. The second part makes sense now that it is obvious. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joe_carroll‌

I'm glad this setting makes sense to you now. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I'm happy to help!

• Spwhitten
    Spwhitten
    Community Member
    Options

I have to agree with asukulu. Just bought the latest version for iPad today and it crashes repeatedly. The PDF manual is incomplete, and the app locks when I leave it even though I have that setting disabled. I'm a new user and feel like I just wasted $8.99. Am I missing something? Can I get a refund?

• joe_carroll
    joe_carroll
    Community Member
    Options

Its a shame, somewhat odd seeing people with so many issues. I do my own development so after reading a few of these posts I've tested on iPad 2,3,4 iPhone 4, 4S, 5S as well as iPod touch. My keychain, thanks to work, has over 200 items in it. And besides getting used to the new UX and wanting the wifi sync for multi vaults I've had no data corruption or crashes to date.

I think the product is amazing and I use it every day. Its frustrating seeing that others are having such a poor experience.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Spwhitten‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password. It's true, we are currently working on updating our documentation, so you might not find all you are looking for in the new PDF. Please have a look through of learn2.agilebits.com for a more comprehensive list of our help topics.

Of course, I'd be happy to help sort things out for you here as well. Does quitting 1Password and restarting your iOS device help the settings behave a bit better?

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    Options

I just don't see the point of this app when we can't even use it to create and store new logins. That's really the whole purpose of it.

• asukulu
    asukulu
    Community Member
    Options

Great thanks for telling me to use the pin, I now am locked out of my 1password. I entered a pin and now when I try to log in it says the code is wrong!!!!!!!!!

• percheron
    percheron
    Community Member
    Options

The latest version is a significant step backwards for my use:
    1. No way to create new logins from within the browser ... At minimum it would be nice to have access to the password generator
    2. No quick login access from within browser.

Why aren't these features built into the new auto login pull down?

Both of these missing features makes the app far less useful and creates more work than the last version.

That is my vote for an improved (return to the previous normal?) version of the browser.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asukulu‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having trouble! First of all, I apologize that my earlier post neglected to address one of your questions: you can indeed create new Logins via the iOS app!

If you are browsing in 1Browser and come across a site that you need to create a Login for, try this:

• Copy the URL of the site
    • Switch from 1Browser to the 'vault view'
    • Tap the '+' icon when in the Categories or Logins tab to add a new Login
    • Paste in the site's URL (you may want to update this later so it is the site's sign-in page instead of the create account page, if different)
    • Enter a unique title for the entry
    • Type in your username
    • Generate a password
    • Save the entry and tap to copy the generated password
    • Switch back to 1Browser
    • Paste your newly generated password into the appropriate fields and save your account details on the site.

Great thanks for telling me to use the pin, I now am locked out of my 1password. I entered a pin and now when I try to log in it says the code is wrong

Once the PIN is entered incorrectly, all you need to do to log in to the app is to enter your Master Password. The Master Password will be required once your PIN is entered incorrectly, there is no second try for this feature. Please let me know if your Master Password is not being accepted, and we'll investigate further! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @percheron‌

Thanks so much for the feedback here! I'm sorry that you feel there is a step backward in functionality here, but I'd be more than happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers. I do agree that saving Logins and generating passwords via the dropdown in 1Browser would be pretty cool. :)

• percheron
    percheron
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Megan. Will look forward to the next updates. Best.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.