How do you sync multiple vaults?

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni

I eagerly downloaded 4.5 as I'm sure many did, keen to finally be able to clear my primary vault of all the duplicated entries I want to store in my secondary vault (if you hadn't guessed I love the idea of multiple vaults).

Unfortunately I've so far been unable to sync the secondary vault and I'm wondering if anybody can shed some light.

Until now my primary vault was synced via WIFI. If I'm understanding 4.5 correctly the only way to sync a secondary vault is via iTunes or DropBox. The first thing I tried was to copy my keychain from my laptop to my mac mini and then add it via iTunes (Apps tab : File Sharing) - no change in 1Password on my phone.
Doing a little reading it seems I have to set up syncing for the secondary vault first, then add that key chain. That makes me wonder, where was my secondary vault being stored prior to this? Anyway, I set up file syncing of the secondary vault, copy that file across and add it iTunes - still no change in 1Password on my phone.

So I'm left unsure what it is I'm doing wrong or if I'm experiencing the same issue being reported here. I don't use DropBox at all, nor iCloud for anything beyond Find my iPhone (although if I understand correctly that isn't an option anyway). So if my syncing options are WIFI and iTunes am I doing something wrong or will I have wait for an update/bug fix?

Comments

• emck68
    emck68
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I am having the same problem and I am exclusively using dropbox.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here.

That makes me wonder, where was my secondary vault being stored prior to this?

Your entire 1Password database (all vaults) is always stored in side your /Library. When you select a sync service for a vault, a copy of this data is made and saved to the appropriate sync location. To use iTunes File Sharing, you will need to set up Folder Sync for your secondary vault to create a 'vaultname'.agilekeychain file that can be copied over.

As you note however, there is another thread here discussing iTunes File Sharing. Our developers are looking into why this is not working and we'll do our best to have this feature up and running as soon as possible.

Hi @emck68‌

To sync multiple vaults to your iOS device using Dropbox:

• Go to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault
    • Select 'Sync with Dropbox'
    • Select your Dropbox account
    • Select the correct keychain
    • Enter your Master Password for that keychain

This should get you all sorted, but please let me know if you run into any snags and I'd be happy to help walk you through!

• emck68
    emck68
    Community Member
    Options

right I have multiple vault in my dropbox folder and one of the them is in a sub-folder when i go to sync the second vault 1password only finds the first vault and not the second one.

• @emck68 What are the names of the files? Are they both named "1Password.agilekeychain" ?

• emck68
    emck68
    Community Member
    Options

the first vault is call 1Password.agilekeychain and it live /1password/ and the second one is in a sub-folder /shared vaults/familly/home.agilekeychain

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @emck68‌

That is strange. Is your home.agilekeychain synced to the same Dropbox account?

• emck68
    emck68
    Community Member
    Options

yes it is and I am also sharing it with another person

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thank you for the reply and it seems I'll have to try and remain patient for a fix then :-( I can't wait until you can seamlessly sync multiple vaults between iOS and OS X - even better if it can be done all locally.

Going back briefly to where the keychain is stored though.

Your entire 1Password database (all vaults) is always stored in side your /Library. When you select a sync service for a vault, a copy of this data is made and saved to the appropriate sync location.

My primary vault currently syncs to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ but I don't remember doing this myself. What happens if I turned this off (it seems to be possible but I haven't tried), where would my keychain be stored or if I disabled this file sync would I risk losing my vault? Just curious.

• jyanek
    jyanek
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having issue with multiple vaults. I have 1P4.3 on my Mac, and 1P4.5 on my iPhone. On the mac, I have 1P set up with one Primary vault, and within that, one secondary vault. Works flawlessly on the Mac. On the iPhone, I have tried to sync using Dropbox. Syncs fine, but only pulls in the Primary data. The secondary data is nowhere to be found. If I click on Settings\Vaults, I only see "Primary" as my choice. If I try to use Settings\Vaults\Add Vault and then choose "Sync with Dropbox, it performs the sync, but since there is only one 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, it tells me "Vault Exists. This vault already exists on your iPhone."

Please help. I would like to have multiple vaults on the iPhone, but I must be missing a critical step. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

jyanek, I don't see you explicitly stating that you've gone through the stages of syncing your secondary vault. From what Megan has said already you need to do that and then select that keychain when adding a vault. This is of course assuming it isn't just the iTunes file sharing option that's experiencing difficulties but a couple of the threads I've seen seem to indicate that those using DropBox have got this working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @emck68‌

Let's take a closer look at your system to get a better idea of what's going on. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

My primary vault currently syncs to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ but I don't remember doing this myself. What happens if I turned this off (it seems to be possible but I haven't tried), where would my keychain be stored or if I disabled this file sync would I risk losing my vault? Just curious.

It sounds like you have set up Folder Sync here. Disabling this and selecting the 'delete data' option, will remove the 1Password.agilekeychain, which is a copy of your vault's data. Your main data file will remain intact - there is no option in 1Password to move or delete this data.

Just for your reference, here are the direct file-paths of your main data file (which is titled OnePassword.sqlite).

• If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store your data is here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

• If you purchased from the AgileBits webstore, your data is here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

I know the concept of keychains and .SQLite files is a bit confusing, so please let me know if you have any further questions. (It took me a long time to get it sorted out in my own brain!) ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jyanek‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here! I think that @littlebobbytables‌ is right here: have you set up syncing for the secondary vault? Each vault is synced individually, so you will need to go to Preferences > Sync while viewing the secondary vault and set up sync to Dropbox there.

If you have synced your secondary vault and are still not seeing it in 1Password 4 for iOS, please let me know and we'll investigate further! :)

• actionscripted
    actionscripted
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Having run into a similar (possibly different) issue, I've found a fix that worked for me (your mileage may vary). I have two vaults: primary (work) and personal. Primary lives at ~/Dropbox/[our company]/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and secondary lives at ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/Personal/1Password.agilekeychain.

When I add the primary vault after launching 1Password on iOS it works perfectly. When I try to add my second vault by going to Vaults > Add Vault > Sync with Dropbox > [my name] it just shows my Dropbox information (User ID, Display Name, etc.) and doesn't let me select another file in Dropbox.

There's a hidden file in ~/Dropbox named .ws.agile.1Password.settings that for me contains a single line of text that is the path in Dropbox to my primary vault. When I move/lock this file on my computer, let Dropbox sync and then try to add a new vault in iOS, 1Password scans Dropbox and lists other vaults. From here it works as expected.

It does seems to be flaky. Sometimes I can select other vault files without issue, sometimes I have to move/lock the hidden file. This could be due to the timing of Dropbox syncing the hidden file.

I've added multiple vaults a variety of times without issue this way (had to test it before sharing here, right?). What I can't seem to figure out, however, is how to get my non-primary vaults to be named appropriately. They're just named "1Password" at the moment and I don't see a way through the iOS app's settings UI to change it to just read "Primary". This isn't a huge issue for me as I only use the two vaults but it'd be nice to be able to change the vault name or have the vault name stored in the agilekeychain file so that when it syncs it pulls in the proper vault name. Perhaps it does store it and it's just not reading it properly.

Edit: really, really love the app update and sincerely appreciate the work that went into it and that's being put into supporting it here. If there's anything I can test or share to help, please let me know.

Edit again: I can't delete my comment, but my problem was hitting the info icon. I'm totally wrong with my "fix" and this could be removed. The real fix was tapping on the right spot...

• actionscripted
    actionscripted
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Regarding vault names, I just renamed my personal 1Password.agilekeychain file to Personal.agilekeychain and re-added the vault after doing the hidden file trickery -- worked like a charm.

Really great job on the app. Super happy to have multiple vaults on my phone now.

• emck68
    emck68
    Community Member
    Options

Megan I sent you the Diagnostics Report, hope it helps and we can find a solution to this problem. I much appreciate your help.

• jyanek
    jyanek
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan -- That clarified it for me. I can now sync multiple vaults, and was quite easy. However, it is a bit kludgy to do this for multiple vaults.

Similarly, when you are on the CATEGORIES screen in iOS, there should be some indication of which vault you are looking at. Right now, the screen is the same no matter which vault you are using, with the exception of the item count. Even the Mac version has a distinction at least in the search field that says "search XYZ vault". Perhaps the developers can add that to the iOS version such that you can easily see which vault you are looking at.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @actionscripted,

Thanks so much for providing the detailed feedback here - I'm glad that you're sorted out, although I apologize that we weren't able to get here soon enough to be of any help to you!

it'd be nice to be able to change the vault name or have the vault name stored in the agilekeychain file so that when it syncs it pulls in the proper vault name.

Currently, your secondary vaults will hold the name that you set when you create them. Your primary vault should always be named 1Password.agilekeychain. Our developers are looking into a way to make this more flexible in the future. :) For the time being though, please note that if you do manually re-name your primary keychain, 1Password will not be able to install it as your primary vault on iOS.

In any event, I'm happy to know that you're enjoying multiple vaults on iOS, do let us know if you have any further questions!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @emck68,

We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jyanek,

I'm glad to hear my post helped to clear things up!

Similarly, when you are on the CATEGORIES screen in iOS, there should be some indication of which vault you are looking at.

This sounds like a useful feature, I'll be sure to mention it to our developers! :)

• amazedinchicago
    amazedinchicago
    Community Member
    Options

I have what appears to me to be a related problem, but probably simpler, and maybe boring. I am trying to back myself out of a mistake, without losing any data. I hope that this is the right thread….

I have not chosen to use the feature that allows multiple vaults, but I now have two. Last night, at the office, I realized that passwords I had changed at home were not showing up as changed at the office.

Today, at the office, I went to dropbox, found an agilebitskeychain and tried to open it directly. I got the option to create a new vault, did so, and happily all the new data are there. But this has left me with two vaults, it seems, and the "right one" is not designated as the "Primary."

I want to get back to the state of having one vault only, with new "secondary" vault becoming the primary. Then, I want to be sure that this one vault is synching correctly with all my three macs and my two iOS devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @amazedinchicago‌

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles getting all synced up! Since it sounds like all your data is complete in the new vault, we should be able to get this straightened out fairly simply here. If the up-to-date data is all on your home computer, we'll just need to reset sync, and then remove that extra vault once your data is back in the primary vault where it belongs.

Let's try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync. (Do this for all vaults.)

• Restart the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the home Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the office Mac, in the primary vault, go to Sync preferences and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and find the 1Password.agilekeychain file. Click on this file (not the folder that it is in).

• 1Password will prompt you for the Master Password for this datafile (the Master Password for your primary vault on your home computer.) Enter the Master Password and confirm. This will add the 1Password.agilekeychain data into your primary vault.

• Use the 1Password > Delete Vault to remove your secondary vault

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync (there are instructions on how to do so here if you haven't yet set up sync.

This should get everything working for you, but if you have any questions about the process, or hit any snags, we're here to help!

• BenGee333
    BenGee333
    Community Member
    Options

so (politely speaking and looking at the amount of instructions that have been generated to perform a fairly 'obvious' and simple task) that's something 'we're' going to want to work on simplifying !!??

yes, no, maybe LOL ;-)))

also (i would like and/ or) are the Vault names 'editable' ??

i.e. can i change the 'Primary' Vault name (any other names of Vaults i may make) so far i can't see how to ??

many many thanks for your efforts and genius so far :-DDD

1Password is (getting closer and closer to) PERFECTION !!

• j0o
    j0o
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @emck68, We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

Hi Megan,

When emck68's issue is resolved could you sketch out what steps were taken--for those of us with a similar problem?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BenGee333,

I apologize if those steps look complicated! We do our best to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to troubleshooting steps. Unfortunately, when there are multiple computers and multiple vaults involved, the number of steps will grow slightly.

also (i would like and/ or) are the Vault names 'editable' ??

This has been a common feature request since we've released multiple vaults for iOS, and I'm happy to add your vote to the request in our issue tracker!

Thanks so much for the kind words - we'll do what we can to edge even closer to perfection!

Hi @j0o,

One of the reasons that we move a discussion to email is that we need more detailed information (like a Diagnostic Report) in order to properly sort things out. In situations like this, the instructions that will be given for the fix are specific to the user that they are written for.

If you are having a similar issue, I'd be happy to help though! Please provide me with a few more details so that we can get this sorted out:

• What are the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password?
    • What are you using to sync your data?
    • How many vaults are in play here?
  • brombacher
    brombacher
    Community Member
    Options

I may be asking a question that has already been asked but can I sync multiple vaults to my iOS device using iCloud. Right now I am syncing using iCloud but I only see my primary vault on my iOS device.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@brombacher‌

If I recall correctly iCloud sync is limited to only one keychain. @megan can you clarify ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brombacher‌

Thanks for the question! As @thightower‌ says, iCloud sync is currently limited to your primary keychain. Each of your vaults on your main computer can be synced individually, however, Dropbox and Folder sync are your only options for syncing secondary vaults at this time. Unfortunately, this is due to a limitation of iCloud's sharing features.

I do apologize for the inconvenience here. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• brombacher
    brombacher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. It's a great product so this is not a huge limitation.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.