Browser Extensions and Different Data Folders

Options

Hi, I am new to 1Password. I have set up a data folder, which has my personal passwords. I have also set up another data folder which has shared work passwords used by another person as well. I can access my personal passwords through the browser extensions (on chrome, firefox, etc). Are these extensions limited to the personal data folder I originally set up? Can switch to access the work data folder passwords through the browser extensions as well?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In 1Password 1 for Windows, you can switch data folders only within the main 1Password program (File > Open 1Password Data Folder); then the extensions will use that data folder until you switch again in the main program.

Some important things to remember:

• The extensions included in the current version of 1Password for Windows will always save new Login items to whatever 1Password data folder was most recently opened in the main 1Password program, so you'll want to keep that in mind as you switch between them, to make sure Login items get saved to the correct 1Password data folder.

• Some versions of the 1Password app on a mobile device will sync with whatever 1Password data folder in your Dropbox account was most recently opened by the main 1Password program on your PC, so be sure to open and unlock the correct 1Password data folder on your PC before you launch 1Password on your mobile device, triggering a Dropbox sync; otherwise, the mobile app will merge items from your 1Password data folders, and that merged data will be sync'ed back to your PCs...a potential mess.

• 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, includes a switching mechanism that feels more like the one on the Mac. It also includes extensions that provide more robust and convenient support for switching among multiple vaults. If you're interested, you can sign up to join the beta family here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• jeffp
    jeffp
    Community Member
    Options

I have switched data folders in the main 1Password program. But I am unable to use that data folder with my extensions in Chrome or Firefox. I have shut down all the programs and reopened the Main 1Password program and logged into the other data folder. I then open chrome, but the extension still uses the initial data folder (not the one opened in the main program). I even uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, but it still uses only the initial data folder.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

At this point, @jeffp, I ask that you sign up to join the 1Password 4 for Windows beta program, here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

I believe you'll be quite a bit happier with the handling of multiple vaults.

Please let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.