Dropbox sync stuck in 1P version 4.5 for IOS

Options
kohls
kohls
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

After failing to sync via iTunes file sharing, I set up 1P to sync with my IOS devices using Dropbox. Everything seemed to be going well until it came time to sync. The Sync Service is listed as Dropbox. Next to Last Sync it says "In Progress" then starts counting how many seconds ago. Once it gets to 37 seconds ago, it starts over with "In Progress" and starts counting all over again. This has been going on for over an hour with my iPhone, and now it's doing the same thing with my iPad. Both the phone and the iPad are IOS 7.1.1. My MacBook is OSX Lion with 1P 3.8.21. I've changed a lot of passwords in reaction to Heartbleed on my MacBook and really need to be able to sync to my iPhone and iPad. Otherwise the app is pretty useless!

Comments

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member
    Options

Still doing the same thing this morning although the number next to Items has changed and some of the logins are now the same as the ones I changed on my MacBook. Can it really take that long to sync?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kohls,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password right now. But what you're describing sounds like correct operating procedure. The 'Last Sync' option will show you when sync last occurred (so the counting indicates the time since the last sync). When a sync is happening, the status bar will change to 'In Progress.' If sync does not finish, you will see an error message that prompts you to try again, or otherwise manage the situation.

Are you seeing any error messages? Are you missing data on your iOS devices? The initial sync may take a few minutes, depending on the size of your database, but once your database is stored in 1Password, other syncs should be quick.

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the email letting me know you responded, too. You guys are really wonderful at supporting your products. I know you must be up to your ears in trying to resolve all these issues.

The perpetual syncing continues. I've pretty much had the 1P app on my iPhone open all day, but I've also spent the day changing passwords and deleting accounts I rarely use, so that may account for the constant syncing. The passwords I'm changing on my MacBook are showing up as changed on my phone. I'm not seeing any error messages, but I do see a lot of Conflicts. When I reveal the passwords in the Conflicts, it shows me the old password. I tried deleting one of these, but I ended up deleting the new password as well - it disappeared on the app and on my MacBook too. Fortunately, I had a duplicate which I had put in the trash but not deleted so I was able to retrieve and reenter the new password without having to change it. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the Conflicts. Perhaps they will disappear once the sync actually completes. Looking forward to the time when everything starts working seamlessly!

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member
    Options

Well, now I did get an error message: Failed to list remote data fold... but I didn't get a chance to look at it. When I reopened the app, the message was gone. Syncing continues.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kohls,

Thanks so much for sending in that screenshot! Unfortunately, there is a bug in 1Password right now where 1Password seems to pick the older of entries when resolving conflicts, so we'll need to do a bit of clean-up here.

• On your Mac go to File > Backup and create a fresh backup ... just in case!

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• Go to Settings > Advanced and choose the Erase Data option.

• OPTION 1: On your Mac use File > Restore to select a backup from before the conflicts started mucking up the works

• OPTION 2: Go through your conflicts manually and ensure that the new passwords are where they should be, and delete any conflict data.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

I do apologize for the trouble here. Once we get this sorted, 1Password should behave a lot more seamlessly for you.

• jnjsq2
    jnjsq2
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

I have the exact same problem as described here. I have version 4.3 on my iMac running OSx 10.9.2 and just upgraded to version 4.5 on my iPad running OSx 7.0.6.

Rather than going through all the steps you describe, I wonder if I am better off just waiting till this bug is fixed.

• machead
    machead
    Community Member
    Options

I want to share my experience with this. I discovered that Dropbox sync was un-enabled via the update (I suggest a script asking to reestablish the connection upon first run). When I went into settings to reestablish the connection, I selected Sync service>Dropbox. What I've noticed is there's sort of a delay in establishing the connection (I'm on a fast Internet connection, too). I had to go back to the Dropbox selection a couple of times, when finally the application asked me what location I'd like to choose within Dropbox. Once I did that, the Dropbox sync was connected, however syncing didn't happen right away. Upon syncing, I got a couple of errors after a long wait--the first being the error pictured above. Miraculously, I just waited it out and after hitting sync manually one more time, then waiting, then getting another error, then waiting, the application miraculously worked it all out.

So my advice is if you see under Current Sync Method Dropbox checked, and the directory below it /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain (in my case), go back a screen and tap Sync Now and just wait.

I was able to replicate this on my iPhone and my iPad, both running 7.1.x. Hope this helps!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jnjsq2,

The steps I provided above were to resolve any conflicts within the app, not particularly for those sync errors listed.

If you have conflicts, as the previous user, I recommend getting things sorted out now. While the bug has been squashed and a fix version is on the way, I can't say if the fix for the bug will include un-doing conflicts that already exist within your database (I'm not a developer, but I don't know that this would even be possible.)

If you are just seeing an error in Dropbox, try going through the sync process again and see if Dropbox behaves a bit better.

Hi @machead,

Thanks so much for providing your experience here. I'm sorry that setting up Dropbox was not a smooth process- we were certainly hoping it would be more automatic for users - but I'm glad things synced up for you, miraculously with a bit of patience! :)

This discussion has been closed.